North American Pro Soccer 2014

DS729

Hey! It's the 1970's all over again and the Cosmos are signing everyone. Oh wait it's 2014 at NYCFC is signing everyone.

One player qualifies as "everyone" these days?

Yeesh. Inflation.

Don't forget that NYCFC has rules and regulations to deal with that the original Cosmos didn't back in the 70's.

2nn48xofg0hms8k326cqdmuis.gifUnited States (2016 - Pres)7204.gif144.gif

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey! It's the 1970's all over again and the Cosmos are signing everyone. Oh wait it's 2014 at NYCFC is signing everyone.

One player qualifies as "everyone" these days?

Yeesh. Inflation.

Not to mention that the Cosmos are... still probably trying to sign everyone.

(See: Raúl)

6fQjS3M.png

The Orlando City Juniors…I mean Louisville USL Pro team unveiled their logo and name:

1401810939000-lcfclogo.jpg

Yep…Orlando City Juniors. Sucks for the Louisville Coopers supporters group, I'm sure they wanted something with their own Identity. And they are playing at Louisville Slugger Field. Still not sure what's wrong with the brand new soccer stadium at UofL as a temporary home. I know its not downtown per say but its still a pretty good location and like its in a suburb or something.

Also St. Louis' USL team unveiled their name and perhaps word mark:

BpI_DA5CEAAleUJ.jpg

The Orlando City Juniors…I mean Louisville USL Pro team unveiled their logo and name:

1401810939000-lcfclogo.jpg

Ugh. That shield is a mess.

If you want to use a barrel, use a barrel. But trying to overlay a barrel onto a mismatched exterior shape is a terrible idea. At the very least, the staves should have been bowed to align with the outline of the shield

Plus... gradients?

The fleur de lis is becoming extremely overused.

Why? St. Louis and Louisville were both named by French explorers.

And named for French Kings (Louis IX and Louis XVI respectively). Guess what the symbol for the French monarchy was...

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

And named for French Kings (Louis IX and Louis XVI respectively). Guess what the symbol for the French monarchy was...

I wonder if the Louisville team will have the unofficial nickname the "Bourbons?"

tumblr_nulnnz7RCV1r5jqq2o1_250.jpg

Oh what could have been....

I wonder if the Louisville team will have the unofficial nickname the "Bourbons?"

Trust me, I know the significance of the fleur de lis and why both teams chose to use it (I took French for 5 years :lol: ). But when every team with the least bit of French heritage starts using it as a main identifier for their team, it starts to become lame.

The New Orleans Saints will always be the American sports team that can truly represent the fleur de lis. Why other teams choose to use a pratically identical logo to reflect their team is what bothers me.

It seems like the easy way out, and not a good way to build your brand. I'm sure there is other imagery that can be used to reflect both Louisville and St. Louis without using the fleur de lis.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flag_of_St._Louis

http://stlouligans.com

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flag_of_Louisville,_Kentucky

http://louisvillecoopers.com

There is other imagery but when the supporters groups for both teams have already embraced it and its on the city flag, it doesn't bother me in the slightest to include it in the mark.

That doesn't mean the Lousiville City (ugh on the name) logo is a success. I just don't have an issue with the elements used.

Once again, my problem doesn't stem from the fact that the emblem was used incorrectly or out of place, but the fact that a similar logo has been used a number of times for other sports.

From Wikipedia:

14eb6vs.jpg

While it may seem like only a "few"different teams out of the millions of other identities in sports, seeing the same mark for 3 professional soccer clubs in the US is just downright silly.

If the supporters really pushed for the fleur de lis, fair enough. But my gripe is that pushing the same identity on several teams is not a good idea when trying to create a specific image for your club.

By your logic, the Panthers, Lions, and Jaguars need to have *breaks pool cue over knee* "tryouts" to determine which team gets to keep the predatory cat motif.

You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

By your logic, the Panthers, Lions, and Jaguars need to have *breaks pool cue over knee* "tryouts" to determine which team gets to keep the predatory cat motif.

Not in the least bit the same. Panthers, Lions, and Jaguars are entirely different animals that come with entirely different connotations. Jaguars have spots, Lions have large manes, panthers are sleeker looking, etc. Those are all personal interpretations I get right away when thinking of these different animals.

it's quite difficult to make a fleur de lis look like unique. The only one I can think of that has some sort of uniqueness are the Zephrs who have a baseball bat In the design. The only individuality these fleur de lis have are recolorings.

EDIT: Let me clarify that I do understand your comparison, however, I don't view them on the same level as being an annoyance. Personally, I find naming teams after animals in general quite repetitive. It's nice living in Tampa, where 4 of our 4 sports teams are not named after animals. Example: I think it's silly that the Florida Panthers and Carolina Panthers share the same name, even though they're in different sports. But their are far more creative angles you can take with a panther than a fleur de lis.

And all three communities have their own locally relevant reasons for embracing their French heritage. Same difference.

Today, we are all otaku.

And all three communities have their own locally relevant reasons for embracing their French heritage. Same difference.

There's other ways to show off French culture. Like I said, nothing wrong with it. But again, it's getting repetitive.

There's other ways to show off French culture. Like I said, nothing wrong with it. But again, it's getting repetitive.

That are also locally relevant? Tricolor doesn't work, the Eiffel Tower isn't locally relevant, the cockerel doesn't work (and would get your asses sued anyway), food doesn't move the needle,..

Boy, we're coming back to the Fleur de Lis aren't we.

Today, we are all otaku.

And we've not had repetitiveness in the NFL, NBA, MLB, and NHL over the years?

tumblr_nulnnz7RCV1r5jqq2o1_250.jpg

Oh what could have been....

Archived