North American Pro Soccer 2014

DS729

Congrats, Mock. Hope to see you in Blaine for the Soccer Bowl!

There is a chance that the Soccer Bowl won't be in Blaine this year since there is a playoff format this year.

http://www.nasl.com/article/uuid/19mjcfxw5twlf1kav40nm9i7w8/nasl-clubs-to-compete-for-the-championship

Congrats to Minnesota United for securing the top 2 seeds in the playoffs. Especially since you guys were on the road the most of the season thanks to the Cavalry not being able to be ready for the season.

2nn48xofg0hms8k326cqdmuis.gifUnited States (2016 - Pres)7204.gif144.gif

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Should you come to Blaine, we should have a beer. We tailgate well.

(We should have had one last month in NY, for that matter.)

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

TFC TFC TFC! We've already won more than we did in 07, 11, 12 and 13.

Love it!

Still lots of work to be done though. I'm happy to see they aren't conceding in the last 10 mins like they did all too often in the past year and I'm happy that they are getting what they are from Defoe but no one else is scoring. And let's be honest, that foul that resulted in a penalty kick, had no business being called. It did not impact the play at all. The truth is the ref gifted TFC a win on Saturday. I'll take it, don't get me wrong but, let's be realistic here.

I'm really excited about the acquisition of Dominic Oduro. Seeing as TFC decided to give away Issey (I'm still upset about that) I think we now have his replacement.

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

So with the addition of Austin Aztex to USLPro for 2015 that's 6 teams either joining or relocating in a (soon to be) 18 team league. Seems like a good plan for stability.

Tons of good potential NASL markets are going the USLPro route because of lower investment & operating costs. Also the requirement that owners have 20mil of net worth. That leads to stability but it also leads to difficulty securing strong soccer markets.

I hope USLPro doesn't grow too fast and I hope once the MLS is done expanding that the pyramid develops into a bit better structure where teams are more even in terms of money and attendance. Its pretty silly to have a league on one end of the spectrum have 20k+ and the other have less then 500.

I'd rather have a 12-team league full of stable, quality franchises than a 30-team league with about two good ownership groups.

I'm not too concerned about the NASL yet. There's still tons of untapped markets out there if they can find the ownership—Hamilton, Detroit, Cleveland, Cincinnati, Milwaukee, and Buffalo I think could all be successful in the league if the ownership's right... and that's just in the Great Lakes region.

I'm also curious what happens with the USL once MLS is finally done expanding. Everyone wants to play the "this is a path to the MLS" pipe dream because Orlando City did it. Sacramento's the perfect example of it—might they be willing to make the jump to the NASL after MLS gives that final team to another league?

6fQjS3M.png

I agree - those are very good possibilities for NASL expansion sites. To that I'd also add Pittsburgh, where the Riverhounds (ugh) play in what might be my favorite soccer stadium in the United States.

photo-2.jpg

Apparently seats 3500 right now, could easily be expanded to up to 18,000 in its current stands-on-three-sides configuration.

I'd rather have a 12-team league full of stable, quality franchises than a 30-team league with about two good ownership groups.

I'm not too concerned about the NASL yet. There's still tons of untapped markets out there if they can find the ownership—Hamilton, Detroit, Cleveland, Cincinnati, Milwaukee, and Buffalo I think could all be successful in the league if the ownership's right... and that's just in the Great Lakes region.

I'm also curious what happens with the USL once MLS is finally done expanding. Everyone wants to play the "this is a path to the MLS" pipe dream because Orlando City did it. Sacramento's the perfect example of it—might they be willing to make the jump to the NASL after MLS gives that final team to another league?

I've seen that mentioned about USLPro teams jumping ship, not really rumors just people wondering if it would happen. I'm amazed that every new USLPro team has said they want to jump to MLS. Even Austin, OKC, Tulsa, etc. The only NASL team that has said that has been San Antonio. To me that makes me nervous if I'm an owner that doesn't have a 'real' shot at the MLS. (not sure any USLPro team's at the moment have a shot, even if Miami dies you're looking at Minnesota and San Antonio, 2 NASL Markets) If those teams are coming in not even slightly committed to the league, what makes them not jump to the NASL if they can/want?

I agree - those are very good possibilities for NASL expansion sites. To that I'd also add Pittsburgh, where the Riverhounds (ugh) play in what might be my favorite soccer stadium in the United States.

photo-2.jpg

Apparently seats 3500 right now, could easily be expanded to up to 18,000 in its current stands-on-three-sides configuration.

Beautiful stadium, looks great in person. It'd be a great stadium for the NASL to relocate to. Would love a team in Cincy too, would definitely check out some games. I think expanding to the Pacific Northwest would be a pretty good idea too. Not sure how a team in LA, Portland, or Seattle would go though.

spacer.png

photo-2.jpg

Beautiful stadium, looks great in person. It'd be a great stadium for the NASL to relocate to. Would love a team in Cincy too, would definitely check out some games. I think expanding to the Pacific Northwest would be a pretty good idea too. Not sure how a team in LA, Portland, or Seattle would go though.

I have always loved Pittsburgh's stadium since it opened, especially how it's situated next to the river and the general layout allowing great views no matter where you sit. I would love a football-specific stadium here in Victoria BC like the Highmark Stadium.

As for a NASL club here in the Pacific NW, I would love to see one here in Victoria but that might be a stretch. We have a USL PDL club here now in their sixth season of operation. We average 2000 people per home match. The next viable step would be to make the step up to USL PRO but with that we would need an owner with deeper pockets due to the higher operation budgets associated with PRO. We could easily average 3000+ if we had a professional club.

NASL needs more midwest to western teams. As it stands right now they're very eastern heavy.

What are the statuses of cities like Phoenix/Tucson, San Diego, Sacramento, and maybe the Inland Empire of Cali.

photo-2.jpg

... could easily be expanded to up to 18,000 in its current stands-on-three-sides configuration.

"[E]asily be expanded to up to 18,000"? As someone with soccer-loving family in the Pittsburgh area, I've attended numerous Riverhounds matches at Highmark. Regardless of what team management and their stadium design and construction partners might claim, expansion of the facility to 18,000 seats would not be accomplished "easily". As proposed, the bulk of such expansion would involve construction of an upper deck above the main grandstand, which would require building out over a well-travelled roadway. As a result, the project would not only be expensive, but there's no guarantee that government entities would sign-off on permitting, citing safety concerns.

Could it happen? Sure, theoretically. Is it likely? No, not really. If it were to be done, would it be accomplished "easily"? Hell no.

All of that said, the view from anyplace in the stadium is stunning.

Perhaps "easily" is in the eye of the beholder. Building out over a road might require special permission but could certainly be done. The A's were going to do just that with their planned Fremont stadium, and it's certainly not the first time that a concrete structure was built out over a roadway. Even if it is well-traveled, safety concerns ought be quickly settled.

And from what I've read they could boost the capacity of the existing stands to 6,000 without getting anywhere near those issues. That would be plenty comfortable for an NASL team.

Back to MLS, NYCFC has signed their second player, Montreal defender Jeb Brovsky.

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2014/06/12/new-york-city-fc-acquires-defender-jeb-brovsky-from-montreal/

I don't know enough about him - what's the sense? And I wonder if they're going to loan him out to another MLS club immediately to help fill the time to next season.

If it makes you feel better, I've been playing a lot of Football Manager with a Canadian national save and he got Canadian citizenship and was good just because he could play almost the entire field.

But he's probably the worst player on their roster as of now haha

Archived