North American Pro Soccer 2014

DS729

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

***Edited for length***

Canadian Soccer News, CSN, reported today in an exclusive that the CSA, CFL and NASL are to launch a Canadian league with play to start in 2016.

http://www.canadiansoccernews.com/index.php?/page/articles.html/_/world-cup-2014/csa-cfl-and-nasl-to-launch-canadian-league-r4701

I think this is a great idea. A partnership between the CFL (I assume the CFL owners want to have more dates in their stadiums) which is in a good place right now thanks to the TSN contract and the NASL, because, let's face it the CSA needs the help. Sounds like it might make the most sense.

I really hope that this will be a big boost in the growth of Canadian player development. The national team desperately needs this.

With all that said.....this is the CSA....so i'm going to remain cautiously optimistic.

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

Yeah, doing this is the easy way to let the NASL get around the whole "75% of teams have to be American" thing but it's also a great first real step towards building the game up north.

I don't get the animosity towards it I've seen from most NASL fans, though.

Speaking of the second division, the fall season starts tomorrow and, well, I'm not expecting anything from the Eleven... so prove me wrong?

6fQjS3M.png

But Toronto, Vancouver, and Montreal would stay in MLS? Am I reading that right?

I wouldn't mind seeing them break off to form the core of a Canadian top-flight league...years down the road when that becomes viable.

But Toronto, Vancouver, and Montreal would stay in MLS? Am I reading that right?

I wouldn't mind seeing them break off to form the core of a Canadian top-flight league...years down the road when that becomes viable.

Canadian Premier League 2020?

tumblr_nulnnz7RCV1r5jqq2o1_250.jpg

Oh what could have been....

Are there really 20 locations in Canada that can support a top-flight professional team? Seems to me that MLS is strengthened by the addition of Vancouver, Toronto and Montreal, and they in turn benefit from being able to complete with clubs from the US.

Twenty locations? Probably not. More then three? Definitely. I know FIFA isn't entirely happy with the setup, in that they prefer each country to have its own top-flight league. I admit, a Canadian "primership" would be nice to see, provided it can be viable. If not then the MLS setup is fine. It's just an idea that I think warrants exploration before being written off entirely.

Toronto, Vancouver, & Montreal playing in MLS while there is a Canadian Premier League would be like Swansea & Cardiff playing in the English system when the Welsh Premier League exists.

I don't see what exactly is the big problem here.

2nn48xofg0hms8k326cqdmuis.gifUnited States (2016 - Pres)7204.gif144.gif

I can see clubs in Edmonton (move to Cdn Conf), Calgary, Winnipeg, Hamilton, Ottawa (move to Cdn Conf), Quebec City, Moncton, Halifax, St, John's and maybe a club based out of Saskatchewan. I would love to see my Victoria Highlanders FC move up to the NASL but I think it will be too big of a jump from PDL due to finances. The Victoria team will only move up to USL PRO if the new Western Conference will take shape.

Yeah expect the big 3 to stay in MLS. The Canadian league doesn't need to go out and compete in CONCACAF right away, they just need to do something to bring up some players through one of the largest youth systems in the world. Probably expect the league to be more ONT/QBC oriented.

Now, do the Fury and Drillers make the jump? I think the winner of Canada and USA NASL seasons shouldn't automatically play in a soccer bowl, however. MAYBE take the top 2 or 4 from each league, and have a playoff. I'd imagine the 4th NASL US team will be better than the top Canadian team.

That was my thought: Wales.

As much as I'm sure that FIFA isn't happy about Canada and the United States sharing a top-flight league I'm also sure they don't see the United Kingdom having four as ideal either. Some Welsh teams have already started competing in the Premier League, and I've been hearing that they've been considering the top Scottish teams as well. Truth be told? The Premier League becoming the top-flight league for the entirety of the United Kingdom probably isn't that far off.

I don't think FIFA is losing sleep over the lack of top-flight professional domestic leagues in either one. Sometimes an international partnership is the best option.

That's true, sometimes it is. And I'm not saying it shouldn't be the case. I'm just interested in exploring the idea of a Canadian "premiership" to see if it is viable.

FIFA hardly recognise that there is such a thing as the United Kingdom though, in almost any soccer context its just the four separate entities of England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland.

Also Cardiff and Swansea have been part of the English league system for basically their entire existence, its just that only in the last couple of years have they made the Premier League itself for the first time.

1 hour ago, BringBackTheVet said:

sorry sweetie, but I don't suck minor-league d

CCSLC Post of the day September 3rd 2012

Just to keep people posted, I bought tickets for tomorrow's Timbers/Sounders game. My tickets are in row B on a non-club section. Looking forward to a great time!

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Drillers? I haven't heard of that team name out of Edmonton in a very long time. Those were the good old days growing up in Edmonton and watching them play. Unfortunately, the Drillers folded but it's FC Edmonton that's currently in NASL.

News out of the Whitecaps is that they resigned Canadian international Russell Tiebert to a multi-year extension. That's great to see that the Canadian international will be staying in Canada to hone his craft. He's a good player, one of the better ones on Canada's MNT.

With NYCFC coming into MLS will the New York Red Bulls still be a viable entity or will they eventually have to relocate with NYFC becoming the premiere club in MLS.

Considering how stubborn Garber is about making Zombie Chivas work in Los Angeles I don't think he would allow for the Red Bulls to cut and run from NY.

My guess is that Garber will try to convince Red Bull to sell the team to someone else so that he can set up a proper alternative to NYCFC.

2nn48xofg0hms8k326cqdmuis.gifUnited States (2016 - Pres)7204.gif144.gif

Archived