North American Pro Soccer 2014

DS729

I think the Red Bulls will continue to be what they've always wanted to be - a team appealing to the New Jersey suburbs.

They have almost zero presence in New York, so I don't see they actually have a lot to lose once NYCFC gets up and running. They'll lose most of what little inroads they've made in the city itself, but they can manage a pretty good existence doing what they've been doing. If anything, a local derby might end up boosting attendance in Harrison.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

With NYCFC coming into MLS will the New York Red Bulls still be a viable entity or will they eventually have to relocate with NYFC becoming the premiere club in MLS.

Considering how stubborn Garber is about making Zombie Chivas work in Los Angeles I don't think he would allow for the Red Bulls to cut and run from NY.

My guess is that Garber will try to convince Red Bull to sell the team to someone else so that he can set up a proper alternative to NYCFC.

Thanks for the input. I appreciate it. I know we have D.C United but how about re branding the Red Bulls as New Jersey United as a dig at Manchester City since they are invested in NYCFC.

The Armada picked their stadium site. They went with the Baseball Grounds of Jacksonville. They want to build their own soccer stadium. I think at least three years of steady support would have to be shown for the city to consider chipping in.

10532518_655209674574305_639970054501136

With the news of a possible Canadian NASL division under the partnership of NASL, CFL owners and the CSA, Maple Leaf Forever columnist Benjamin Massey has written a well rounded analysis on the prospect of this occurring plus raising other questions. It's worth a read if you're interested in the NASL and the possible future in 2015/2016.

http://www.maple-leaf-forever.com/2014/07/11/questions-for-the-nasl-canadian-division/#comment-24305

With NYCFC coming into MLS will the New York Red Bulls still be a viable entity or will they eventually have to relocate with NYFC becoming the premiere club in MLS.

Considering how stubborn Garber is about making Zombie Chivas work in Los Angeles I don't think he would allow for the Red Bulls to cut and run from NY.

My guess is that Garber will try to convince Red Bull to sell the team to someone else so that he can set up a proper alternative to NYCFC.

Thanks for the input. I appreciate it. I know we have D.C United but how about re branding the Red Bulls as New Jersey United as a dig at Manchester City since they are invested in NYCFC.

I always preferred they rebrand as Metro FC or Metros FC. But with the Cosmos apparently struggling, I might see about purchasing the rights to their brand if I were Red Bull.

With the news of a possible Canadian NASL division under the partnership of NASL, CFL owners and the CSA, Maple Leaf Forever columnist Benjamin Massey has written a well rounded analysis on the prospect of this occurring plus raising other questions. It's worth a read if you're interested in the NASL and the possible future in 2015/2016.

http://www.maple-leaf-forever.com/2014/07/11/questions-for-the-nasl-canadian-division/#comment-24305

Interesting, but what about Toronto, Montreal, and Vancouver? Will they be operating clubs at the NASL level even with MLS in town?

I always preferred they rebrand as Metro FC or Metros FC. But with the Cosmos apparently struggling, I might see about purchasing the rights to their brand if I were Red Bull.

Red Bull is never going to purchase the Cosmos brand because the sole purpose of Red Bull New York is to promote Red Bull and nothing else just like with Red Bull Brasil, Red Bull Ghana, Red Bull Salzburg, RB Leipzig (German soccer teams aren't allowed to have sponsors in their name), & their ice hockey teams.

aenderung-lizenz.jpg

Red-Bull-Leipzig-crest.png

2nn48xofg0hms8k326cqdmuis.gifUnited States (2016 - Pres)7204.gif144.gif

Yeah, that's simply not going to happen.

I feel terrible about the Cosmos (I'm a season ticket holder), but they're in a bind, and have been ever since they dropped out of the MLS bidding. Best thing they can do, I think, is a variation on what Red Bull has done - become a local club for Long Island. They can be a closer, less-expensive option for families.

Yeah, that's simply not going to happen.

I feel terrible about the Cosmos (I'm a season ticket holder), but they're in a bind, and have been ever since they dropped out of the MLS bidding. Best thing they can do, I think, is a variation on what Red Bull has done - become a local club for Long Island. They can be a closer, less-expensive option for families.

I think the current Cosmos ownership had much bigger plans than just being a local Long Island team when they first bought into the team/brand.

If the Belmont Stadium deal doesn't go through (95% certain it won't) then I fully expect the owners to try and sell the team to someone else.

2nn48xofg0hms8k326cqdmuis.gifUnited States (2016 - Pres)7204.gif144.gif

Interesting, but what about Toronto, Montreal, and Vancouver? Will they be operating clubs at the NASL level even with MLS in town?

I don't see any NASL clubs operating operating in MLS club cities. But I can see NASL in Hamilton, Quebec City, Edmonton, Calgary, Winnipeg, Halifax, St. John's, and either Victoria (if we can get the proper funding for a pro club) or another Ontario based club.

Could MLS support three teams in the metro NY area? The area will soon support the Rangers, Islanders and Devils. Could a Cosmos/NYCFC/NYRB be too much?

"Cosmos" is too valuable a brand to be a second-tier team, and while I have nothing to support this, it seems like its star fades quite a bit once NYCFC is in operation.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Could MLS support three teams in the metro NY area? The area will soon support the Rangers, Islanders and Devils. Could a Cosmos/NYCFC/NYRB be too much?

I don't even know if the New York-area can support the three NHL teams. The Devils, for all their fan fervity, have been hemorrhaging their finances in the front office. No one knows if the move to Brooklyn by the Islanders will help the franchise long-term or will only be a hipster trend.

Can any New York-based poster fact-check this and verify or dispute, please?

By "fact-check", do you mean "state my opinion as fact"? Because I'm very happy to do that. :P

I don't know if the NYC metro area can support three clubs, soccer or hockey. But I do know New Jersey has been, at many times, a miserable market. So I would discount anything from that side of the Hudson River.

I'm confident the Cosmos and NYCFC could co-exist in this market, exactly as confident as I am that MLS will never let them try.

Archived