NHL WC/SS Series: 1987 Stadium Series MTL-DET added

JCRGraphix

So I think I'm finally putting together another series. This one will be the Winter Classic games from 1984 to 2007. I'm open to ideas for match-ups!

Up first is the 1984 Winter Classic Game between the Montreal Canadiens and Quebec Nordiques.

winterclassic84.png

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's pretty neat. I like the logo, very fitting I think for the time period. For the jerseys I think the Canadiens one is pretty top notch. Is there anything near the cuff area or are the arms basically left blank? For the Nordiques I like the yoke style. I think I'd like the see the arms match it closely but I do like the different arm stripe than the hem.

I always hear from my dad how great the Sabres/Flyers Rivalry was early on in the franchise. Any way one could be those two?

Interesting idea. I think more white could be added to the Nords uniform, but overall a nice start. Not sure I'm in love with the Winter Classic logo, however. I think it is the typeface you chose. It just doesn't feel very 1984 to me. Maybe try something a little different and this will be a solid concept.

NYCFC - MLS CUP CHAMPIONS - 2021

Great idea! I love those brown pads.

Hm, some good rivalries of the 80's and so forth...

A. You gotta have the Lemieux era Pens playing against the Flyers.

B. An Alberta Bowl (where both were great teams in the 80's)

C. The North Stars hosting a game against the Blues, Modano and Hull was a good rivalry.

D. Rangers vs Islanders at Shea Stadium (where the Mets were a legendary team of the 80's)

E. Somehow the Avalanche having a game, but they have never had a solid rival.

F. I know it will draw some backlash but a Nashville vs. Carolina game in Knoxville at Peyton's Place.

G. Of course a Blue Jackets vs. Red Wings game at the Horseshoe. That use to be a good rivalry when they were both in the Central (although Det won 75% of the time, it was still intense).

I have two gripes about the venues.

Olympic Stadium is indoors. Not sure if that matters to you or not.

It would be awesome for the Boston-Hartford game to be played at Foxboro, which is pretty much in between both cities. It'd kind of be like a 'lets-see-who-can-get-more-fans-to-come-out' type of deal.

Speaking of that, I'm hoping that one day the Bruins play the Canes at Gillette, with the Canes wearing Whalers throwbacks.

sig.png

It would be awesome for the Boston-Hartford game to be played at Foxboro, which is pretty much in between both cities. It'd kind of be like a 'lets-see-who-can-get-more-fans-to-come-out' type of deal.

Speaking of that, I'm hoping that one day the Bruins play the Canes at Gillette, with the Canes wearing Whalers throwbacks.

I didn't think about Foxboro. That's not a bad idea. Was that stadium around in 86?

Up next is the 1987 Winter Classic in Chicago. The Blackhawks uniforms are loosely based on their 1926-27 uniforms. the North Stars ones are based on the minor league Minneapolis Millers that played in Minneapolis from 1926 to 1950.

winterclassic87.png

In 1984, the roof wasn't install yet on the Olympic Stadium

E. Somehow the Avalanche having a game, but they have never had a solid rival.

They had Detroit. If that wasn't a rivalry then I don't know what is.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

Archived