A11 Football League Branding

JackieMoon

Oh and that Stag helmet looks awfully similar to a concept I had made for my fictional league, so much so that they even left "Rage" in the bottom right corner of the display. Hmm.

So let me see if I understand this correctly - they contracted you to do some preliminary design work, which they didn't end up using (fair enough), but they then stole a concept you did that wasn't part of your work for them?

Obviously I'm not in the know, but I feel like it's coincidental. The Bandits' black helmet was named "Night Rider" in the bottom right corner just like this one has "Rage" in that position.

spacer.png

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh and that Stag helmet looks awfully similar to a concept I had made for my fictional league, so much so that they even left "Rage" in the bottom right corner of the display. Hmm.

So let me see if I understand this correctly - they contracted you to do some preliminary design work, which they didn't end up using (fair enough), but they then stole a concept you did that wasn't part of your work for them?

Obviously I'm not in the know, but I feel like it's coincidental. The Bandits' black helmet was named "Night Rider" in the bottom right corner just like this one has "Rage" in that position.

Just so everyone can have a visual to judge here's CJ's Rage concept. There may be a more up to date version, but I wasn't about to dig through a 45 page thread.

rage_home-1.png

@Brandon: Yeah, they did a whole crowd-source thing after the first rebrand was done. I also drew up around 20 league logos until they untimely settled on something one of their in-house guys worked on. They asked me to be a part of the crowd source but I didn't find it too flattering to have a second go-around at a project that we had already worked on and were happy with. I also have a feeling that the final designer(s) and I had incredibly different creative briefs from start to finish considering the style and modernity of these marks, but kudos to the fact that they were soundly-designed.

@Doug: Yep! Those were mine. I'll post my cutting-room designs when I get the chance.

@Goth: Wouldn't say they ripped it, but it's similar.

Where were the unused concepts posted at? Are you using the link http://www.liquidage...s/studies/a11fl because I'm blind as a bat and am not finding a whole lot there.

I've never posted anything. But the majority A11 logos in the middle of the picture with the screen and guy are concepts I whipped up.

Did you get to pick which teams you designed looks for? I'm curious, because with only one team left to announce, I've seen Denver and Philadelphia looks out there and apparently, only one of those teams will be picked at this point. I've heard Seattle as well, but I haven't seen any Seattle concepts floating around.

Denver and Philadelphia were both a part of the brand brief.

And yes, we could design whichever teams we felt inspired to do. It was fairly open-ended to be honest.

I thought I'd read something about them opening up the last 2 teams to designers like they had the first group of 6. I wish that had been true.

One set is complete that I worked on and was very happy with...only a few people have seen it and all have loved it.

i totally agree with Matt, this is a surprisingly bad identity by a designer who is actually really good. animals don't seem to be his strong suit (and i can't fault him for that, i hate drawing animals too) and that shows through here. lets give this a run down critique top to bottom. i got time. . .

primary (oval) logo - i think it is very similar to Houston. it does look like he referenced that logo, but that is a non issue for me right now. the lines in this logo do not create any form or unified direction. they are shapes on top of shapes, and some shapes are outlined and then stop at another shape. they seem to be there just to be there. every piece of it has a different flow from front of head to the back. it seems the head wants to go forward (see Houston logo) but the neck line is stopping it, abruptly changing direction. there is a lot is visual tension in the face and ear area with these lines being close together and the gold and blue vibrating a bit. the large amounts of negative (red) space gives off a really clunky and unfinished appearance. the worst part is, i think the gold and blue should be swapped. gold should be the highlight color. this is a solid concept and when done well it can be a cool mark, again see Houston. the difference between the 2 marks is just that one of those designers is far more experienced in the sporting animal category, and has a better understanding of how to draw those types of logos, giving proper form to something that is on a flat surface.

icon with word mark - it's a standard "angry mascot over text" sports logo, but the type and cat are so disconnected. the cat is too tall and it's neck looks more like a horse. it's trying to be tied together with the gold key stroke, but it's a different width around the type than the cat and created more disconnect between the two. the angles of the two are also moving differently. it's a bad word mark, but it had no chance of sucess because it's such a bad font to begin with. PANTHERS has so many different angle cuts, widths, sizes, and inconsistent space between the letters there is just nothing to do to make it work. MICHIGAN is so thin it gets lost in there, made worse by the blue-on-gold combo (GFB even at 15 understood the readability and importance of this issue and place blue on maroon) and i just dont think the two fonts pair well. contrast is good, but this goes too far. but again, nothing would pair really well with the main type.

helmets - the color application and general feel of the helmets are good. i think the gold helmet has a lot of potential, but the logo application is off here. the head of the panther is far too small and long sweeping neck just looks odd. it would be a huge improvement ot just make it's head bigger and kill some of the neck area. you could still get the same amount of color coverage without the shrunken head look.

I agree with most of your points. This is the only logo package that IMHO took a step back from the original. The original Panther logo had that oddly elongated neck and this one makes it stand out even more. There needs to be an accent gold/champagne toward the bottom of the neck, and the wordmark is a miss. That said, I absolutely have to give kudos to any designer who gets their design picked...congrats!

I'm curious as to whether or not they will actually produce that full compilation of all the different submissions from those of us who participated in this whole thing--I do remember someone asking them about that in that blast-mass e-mail they sent out to us in which the winners were announced...

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

I'm curious as to whether or not they will actually produce that full compilation of all the different submissions from those of us who participated in this whole thing--I do remember someone asking them about that in that blast-mass e-mail they sent out to us in which the winners were announced...

The email said we'd get that in January I believe. And on the 31st we were supposed to see the winners...

Safe to say, I don't think that's happening :)

LogoFan, do we get to see your design?

Denver and Philadelphia were both a part of the brand brief.

And yes, we could design whichever teams we felt inspired to do. It was fairly open-ended to be honest.

I thought I'd read something about them opening up the last 2 teams to designers like they had the first group of 6. I wish that had been true.

One set is complete that I worked on and was very happy with...only a few people have seen it and all have loved it.

Just so everyone can have a visual to judge here's CJ's Rage concept. There may be a more up to date version, but I wasn't about to dig through a 45 page thread.

rage_home-1.png

CJ, when I saw that Chicago Staggs helmet, my first thought was your old Racine Rage concept from a couple years ago. I never went around to comparing the two side by side, but I was thinking that someone along the way must have seen your old concept, having no idea you actually worked with the A11FL. My guess is that as more people become aware of this site, we will continue to see real teams take inspiration from stuff here.

I wonder what the Denver franchise will be called? Hoping like hell they don't follow suit and choose these awful things...

USFL_Gold_2.gif

Some fans on the A11FL want the Denver franchise to use this:

1660704_811540160182_1343550643_n.jpg

Not bad, but a lot better than what the Denver Gold had 30 years ago.

I wonder what the Denver franchise will be called? Hoping like hell they don't follow suit and choose these awful things...

USFL_Gold_2.gif

I like it.

2mow2dk.jpg2j2sx87.jpgscz0cx.jpgkdsrir.jpg

USFL_Gold_2.gif

I like it.

Beautiful

GrizzlyBlack Designs, UDC Firebird

Archived