Qatar 2022 World Cup Discussion

Brian in Boston

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2022_FIFA_World_Cup_squads#Player_representation_by_league_system

Interesting link. Would not have expected MLS to be the sixth-most represented league, or that 3/4 of MLS players would play for someone besides the US (I imagine Canada makes up a lot of that extra, though). Would've guessed that a few more European leagues would be higher than MLS.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Digby said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2022_FIFA_World_Cup_squads#Player_representation_by_league_system

Interesting link. Would not have expected MLS to be the sixth-most represented league, or that 3/4 of MLS players would play for someone besides the US (I imagine Canada makes up a lot of that extra, though). Would've guessed that a few more European leagues would be higher than MLS.

41% (11) of the non US players are Canadian, so 16 for everyone else. That's 8th, behind the Big 5 plus Belgium and Turkey, which isn't half bad.

ExJworW.png

13 hours ago, tigers said:

Delicious.

Piers Morgan getting a tad bit salty

14 hours ago, Cujo said:

No and no.

It reminds me of that kid that stands behind the school bully telling everyone how great that guy is. It's pretty weird. He's been attached to his backside since Ronaldo agreed to that interview. 

Group A

Netherlands is wearing their light orange kits and Qatar are in white, I'm still able to tell them apart of the TV, but I'm surprised they didn't have them both wear alternates instead of Qatar only. 

Daley Blind of Holland, Meshaal Barsham of Qatar during the World Cup match between Holland v Qatar at the Al Bayt Stadium on November 29, 2022 in Al...

Senegal and Ecuador both wearing primaries. 

Pervis Estupinan of Ecuador controls the ball against Iliman Ndiaye of Senegal during the FIFA World Cup Qatar 2022 Group A match between Ecuador and...

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

5 hours ago, BrySmalls said:

Judgement Day is here for the USMNT! All they need to do is win to advance. Hope they can pull it off to make up for the 1998 match against Iran.

I'm hoping so as well just to shut up the Iranian fans who complained about the flag in that social media post.

Now that Group A is done, the Americans still have to do their part and beat Iran... but after they win (hopefully), their Round of 16 date depends on how England-Wales goes. If Wales wins, the Americans win the group and get Senegal on Sunday.

If England wins or the game ends in a draw, then the Americans get the Netherlands on Saturday.

5 hours ago, BrySmalls said:

Judgement Day is here for the USMNT! All they need to do is win to advance. Hope they can pull it off to make up for the 1998 match against Iran.

I'm wearing my Ted Lasso "BELIEVE" socks today, because I feel if we lose this game it will feel worse than the FA Cup episode vs Man City. But if we win it'll be better than the end of Season 2. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

3 minutes ago, TrueYankee26 said:

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAL PULISIC!

Beautiful Goal! I hope he can come back after going off inured. It doesn't look good at the moment though.

EDIT: He's shaking it off for now.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

46 minutes ago, Kramerica Industries said:

Mateu Lahoz is the referee for the USA/Iran game. I can see the :censored: show already.

Other than the card to Tyler Adams he's been pretty consistent. Most refs let you get away with that a man down unless you run straight through him.

England could have scored a minute ago, but Luke Shaw kept getting in everyone's way. Someone should remind him he's a defender. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

6 minutes ago, TrueYankee26 said:

Weah got robbed

EDIT: Originally I thought it was a lot clearer he was off, now I agree with you. Those 3D animations with no useful information should be interesting, 

Now we'll see Iran have to step out some more, something they didn't want to have to do. If Wales scores they'll have to go for the win instead of a loss. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png