Qatar 2022 World Cup Discussion

Brian in Boston

I’m sure it’s just because I’m in a weird headspace from being sick all weekend, but as an American and casual soccer observer, I came away from this Wales/US game not wanting to root for team USA at all.

Pulisic is incredibly unlikable. The commentators that Fox used were terrible and very biased. And most importantly, the uniforms are downright ugly. 

Also, the coaches’ sweater that just said “STATES” is the dumbest piece of clothing I’ve ever seen.

jNTsTyQ.png

5 minutes ago, TalktoChuck said:

The commentators that Fox used were terrible and very biased.

Their coverage so far has been incredibly loathsome. I'm sure that the advertising dollars they're receiving from Qatar have nothing to do with the slant.

• Like 2

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

9 minutes ago, Kevin W. said:

Their coverage so far has been incredibly loathsome. I'm sure that the advertising dollars they're receiving from Qatar have nothing to do with the slant.

I was fully expecting a pro-Qatar spin to all the coverage from every outlet during the tournament, so that wasn’t too jarring of a thing.

My bigger issue was the over the top whining anytime a call went against the US. I guess I should have expected that too.

jNTsTyQ.png

1 minute ago, TalktoChuck said:

My bigger issue was the over the top whining anytime a call went against the US. I guess I should have expected that too.

To be fair, the referee was a complete assclown who was handing out yellow cards like they were candy. Only one of the yellow cards given in the first half was on a foul that was even close to being worth a card.

• Like 4

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

12 hours ago, TalktoChuck said:

I’m sure it’s just because I’m in a weird headspace from being sick all weekend, but as an American and casual soccer observer, I came away from this Wales/US game not wanting to root for team USA at all.

Pulisic is incredibly unlikable. The commentators that Fox used were terrible and very biased. And most importantly, the uniforms are downright ugly. 

Also, the coaches’ sweater that just said “STATES” is the dumbest piece of clothing I’ve ever seen.

With him it's a case of overexposure and the Captain AMerica tag we seem to assign to whomever we feel is our best player at the time.

With the coaches sweater, I'd agree. Just put USA, United States or the badge on and call it a day. I understand there's supposed to be more meaning as to why it just says "States", but you might as well just wear a shirt with One Nation, One Team instead. 

5 hours ago, RedRenesis said:

Just as all of us predicted, the Saudi's beating Argentina. 

Which was even stranger when I opened up The Athletic and they were talking about Messi's deal with Saudi Arabia's tourism authority. At least he doesn't have to pay for a meal in Saudi Arabia ever again. 🤭

6 hours ago, nickp91 said:

Saudi could be the dark horses in this year's World Cup 

Watching Poland vs Mexico, I may have underestimated their chances of escaping the group. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

France is so good. So so good. It seems almost effortless for them. Australia will be lucky to keep it 2-1 the rest of the way. 

EDIT: I also have to add how much I dislike the Fox commentators and general broadcast. I miss ESPN’s World Cup coverage tremendously. 

• Like 1

Cowboys - Lakers - LAFC - USMNT - LA Rams - LA Kings - NUFC 

48 minutes ago, Rockstar Matt said:

France is so good. So so good. It seems almost effortless for them. Australia will be lucky to keep it 2-1 the rest of the way. 

EDIT: I also have to add how much I dislike the Fox commentators and general broadcast. I miss ESPN’s World Cup coverage tremendously. 

I don't miss ESPN because the same people are calling this tournament. But bringing in Donovan, that was a bad call. He's always lifeless whenever he has a regular conversation and it's even worse when he's the color guy. Stuart Holden and Taylor Twellman are almost interchangeable, so that a draw. I guess bringing in Lloyd to the studio crew is to prep her for the 2023 World Cup next summer. I haven't heard enough from her to make a decision yet. That's because my TV has no sound at work. 

• Like 1

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

3 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

With him it's a case of overexposure and the Captain AMerica tag we seem to assign to whomever we feel is our best player at the time.

I don't even think he's substantially more talented than the other wingers in the pool... but he broke out at a younger age, when we had nothing else going, and his story is sufficiently "all-American" to sell well. Yesterday felt like a typically frustrating Pulisic game, some great moments (his involvement on the goal was fantastic) but also a lot of plays that died with him. Not entirely his fault but also about what we'd expect.

On that note -- I keep coming back to the fact that, as spectacular and technically impressive as the Weah goal was, it also came when the US played direct on a counter. I think a real legitimate knock on the Berhalter era tactics is that those situations seem to creep up by accident, given the focus on wing play and constant crosses (the "right" way to play in theory, but in practice this team always struggles to score a damn goal).

• Like 1

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

https://apnews.com/article/world-cup-soccer-sports-qatar-ecuador-28f2a3b2bb2d298c1ce9067a961ee681\

EDITED: FIFA charges Ecuador FA because fans aimed chants towards Chile in regards to making the World Cup, reportedly with an ineligible player. They also chanted "We want beer" as they tool apart Qatar. Glad to see they have no sense of humor still. 

Edited by MJWalker45
Corrected information from the article

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

2 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

https://apnews.com/article/world-cup-soccer-sports-qatar-ecuador-28f2a3b2bb2d298c1ce9067a961ee681\

FIFA charges Ecuador FA because fans chanted, "We want beer". Glad to see they have no sense of humor. 

The linked article actually doesn't say that there was any action taken due to that chant.  The action was due to some other chant.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

35 minutes ago, TrueYankee26 said:

Japan y'all. Another upset in the making.

Update: Auf Wiedersehen Deutschland. (Goodbye Germany). They lose 2-1 to Japan.

Potentially up 2-0 up, and managed to lose 1-2, what the heck!?!? Does Flick survive if Germany is out at the group stage? I don't think so. Still lots of soccer left but they better pick up the pace. 

https://www.espn.com/soccer/fifa-world-cup/story/4811294/germany-players-cover-mouths-in-team-photo-amid-onelove-armband-row

Germany  v Japan -World Cup

Edited by MJWalker45
Added Germany picture and story
  • Like 1

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

3 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

EDITED: FIFA charges Ecuador FA because fans aimed chants towards Chile in regards to making the World Cup, reportedly with an ineligible player. They also chanted "We want beer" as they tool apart Qatar. Glad to see they have no sense of humor still. 

Apparently it was due to a homophobic chant, which makes the decision all the more ironic...

• Like 1