Qatar 2022 World Cup Discussion

Brian in Boston

2 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

I think you'll also see the tournament basically stuck between Europe, Asia and North America from now on. FIFA needing so many venues within a set amount of space would require massive amounts of highway infrastructure between multiple countries that I don't think would happen in South America due to the amount of deforestation that would be required. I also can't see Brazil and Argentina ripping down some of their older "iconic" stadiums when it may be cheaper, and safer, to build new stadiums. But then you run into the issues of the favelas getting cleared out to build them. China will probably host 2030 with England dropping out to focus on Euros 2028, so England or a combined European country bid would likely host 2034. 

I would have to think the joint country bid will be the way of the future.  Just looking at Wikipedia to collect info on future bids, most of the potential bids for 2030 are joint bids.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FIFA_World_Cup_hosts#2030_FIFA_World_Cup

- Uruguay/Argentina/Chile/Paraguay

-Morocco, pending Algeria and Tunisia (likely a longshot due to needing many new venues)

-Portugal/Spain

-Greece/Bulgaria/Serbia/Romania

Potentials for 2034 are said to be as follows

-Indonesia, Malaysia, Singapore, Thailand and Vietnam

-China

- Australia,  New Zealand and/or  Indonesia

• Like 1

19 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

A group is only three matches instead of six now so it's possible, but I'd think the Mexicans would be pissed as hell if they don't get to see El Tri in either Guadalajara or Monterrey in addition to Azteca. They already get pissed that they hardly play in Mexico unless it's in qualifying. 

They, FIFA, told LGBTQ+ fans to cut out that type of activity at the tournament. I'm not really surprised to see this crap floated around as well. 

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2010/dec/14/fifa-boss-gay-fans-no-sex

It was Blatter who said it, but if he hadn't I'm sure Infantino would have dribbled this out the side of his mouth too. 

https://www.marca.com/en/world-cup/2022/06/21/62b1b8e446163f7e7a8b45af.html

The article says a seven year prison sentence.  I'd like to know how they plan to check on that stuff. No ring, straight to jail? 

Community Chest Go To Jail Card by JDWinkerman on DeviantArt

so long and thanks for all the fish.

• 3 months later...
35 minutes ago, TBGKon said:

If everyone's working, they'll be too tired to party? Qatar might be a good place to play an 8 team tournament, but this tournament is going to be so crap with people getting pushed in and out of the country. 

• Like 1

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

• 1 month later...

If you're looking to have an ice cold beer while in attendance at one of World Cup 2022's eight venues, it will have to be a nonalcoholic Bud Zero. Just two days before the world's preeminent soccer tournament is set to kick-off, FIFA has announced that Qatar is banning all alcoholic beer sales in and around the competition's game venues during matches.

Beer will apparently remain available in VIP suites in stadiums, in some fan zones, and in some hotel and restaurant bars. 

According to a FIFA statement, "A decision has been made to focus the sale of alcoholic beverages on the FIFA Fan Festival , other fan destinations and licensed venues, removing sales points of beer from Qatar's FIFA World Cup 2022 stadium perimeters."

• LOL 2

48 minutes ago, Brian in Boston said:

If you're looking to have an ice cold beer while in attendance at one of World Cup 2022's eight venues, it will have to be a nonalcoholic Bud Zero. Just two days before the world's preeminent soccer tournament is set to kick-off, FIFA has announced that Qatar is banning all alcoholic beer sales in and around the competition's game venues during matches.

Beer will apparently remain available in VIP suites in stadiums, in some fan zones, and in some hotel and restaurant bars. 

According to a FIFA statement, "A decision has been made to focus the sale of alcoholic beverages on the FIFA Fan Festival , other fan destinations and licensed venues, removing sales points of beer from Qatar's FIFA World Cup 2022 stadium perimeters."

10 minutes ago, tigerslionspistonshabs said:

Lol this whole situation is a complete and total cluster:censored:.

Budweiser is probably asking for some of their money back now. Between this and the fake fans running around for each team, it's just laughable. And the mug running FIFA is going for another term unopposed.

Smashing cameras for taking pictures of official World Cup activities probably isn't the best look either. Grant Wahl even reported that he took a picture of a welcome to the World Cup sign and was told to delete it. 

• LOL 1

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Anyone who goes to Qatar for this thing probably doesn't deserve the joys of getting sloshed at a world-class soccer game anyway. That said, really thought they weren't dumb enough to mess with the sponsors. I guess since the sponsors refused to stand up against this sham tournament, they've lost their leverage. 

• Like 2

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

17 minutes ago, BBTV said:

0_Budweiser.jpg

eDVwf3W.png

I highlighted the fact they aren't even bringing in water fountains! I really hope day 3 of the World Cup looks like Woodstock 1999. It's basically setting itself up to end like that at this point, minus the exploitation of women and minors. 

• Like 1

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

11 minutes ago, IceCap said:

:censored: Qatar  and :censored: FIFA

Of course the first time Canada qualifies in my lifetime it's in the middle of Sober Fascist Desert.

And people are going to act surprised when the guillotine comes out.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

10 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

eDVwf3W.png

I highlighted the fact they aren't even bringing in water fountains!

Obviously not having water fountains isn't great, but that paper saying that highs of 82-84 for the next week (according to Google) are "brutal heat" is hilarious.

• Like 1

ExJworW.png

48 minutes ago, Magic Dynasty said:

Obviously not having water fountains isn't great, but that paper saying that highs of 82-84 for the next week (according to Google) are "brutal heat" is hilarious.

It can be if you're not used to it. It'll be fine for players but can be a shock to the system if you're coming from somewhere with weather in the low 30's. Somehow I feel like they'll try getting hydration breaks added anyways. I've been in that part of the world and 90's all day is still a thing, even in November and December. It didn't get cold until January, and even then it was still in the 60's. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Just got caught up on Infantino's opening news conference, and boy did he pack a lot of stupidity into one statement.

Says that because of how Europeans have acted over the last 3000 years we should all just turn a blind eye to the slave labour, LGBTQ+ discrimination, and general human rights abuses going on in Qatar. Then he said that he knows what it's like to be discriminated because he got bullied as a kid for having red hair & freckles.

He also brushed off the alcohol ban by saying, "If you can't drink beer for 3 hours I think you can survive", even though the issue people have is that they waited until the last minute to change the rules & break their promise to the fans. If they can flip-flop on beer sales like that, how can anyone trust anything else they've "promised" (i.e. the safety of members of the LGBTQ+ community who are in attendance).

• Like 6

On 6/22/2022 at 10:42 AM, TBGKon said:

I would have to think the joint country bid will be the way of the future.  Just looking at Wikipedia to collect info on future bids, most of the potential bids for 2030 are joint bids.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FIFA_World_Cup_hosts#2030_FIFA_World_Cup

- Uruguay/Argentina/Chile/Paraguay

-Morocco, pending Algeria and Tunisia (likely a longshot due to needing many new venues)

-Portugal/Spain

-Greece/Bulgaria/Serbia/Romania

Potentials for 2034 are said to be as follows

-Indonesia, Malaysia, Singapore, Thailand and Vietnam

-China

- Australia,  New Zealand and/or  Indonesia

I know the home nations dropped out of 2030, but they may be in play for 2034 or 2038. With so many solid stadiums they shouldn't have had any issues hosting in any year.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png