Qatar 2022 World Cup Discussion

Brian in Boston

Gotta say, that was an encouraging first half for Canada against Belgium. We were on the front foot for most of it, just switched off for a minute near halftime and paid for it. Davies needed more power on his penalty, for sure, but hopefully he won't be daunted to step up and take the next one.

56 minutes ago, officeglenn said:

Gotta say, that was an encouraging first half for Canada against Belgium. We were on the front foot for most of it, just switched off for a minute near halftime and paid for it. Davies needed more power on his penalty, for sure, but hopefully he won't be daunted to step up and take the next one.

44 minutes ago, Digby said:

Canada's getting screwed by this ref. I hate to whine about the refereeing but yikes. VAR bailed him out once, I have no idea why it wasn't twice... shame Davies couldn't take advantage.

I know Lukaku isn't playing, but if he was I think the score would still be 0-0 instead of 1-0. I may have underestimated how good Canada has become. I think the ref stiffed them on added time as well. But a great way to show up for your first game since 1986. 

• Like 1

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

So many good things to take away for Canada ... except the final score. At one point, a stat popped up on screen saying attempts on goal were 21-7 in favour of Canada, which kind of blew me away. Lots of good defending — except the 44th minute — really timely tackles and fights for 50-50 balls. It looks like Canada wasn't intimidated at all, which is a great sign. Hopefully we can take this same effort forward to the games against Morocco and Croatia.

• Like 3

Wales needs to beat England and get some help with a USA/Iran draw plus goal differential to get through. Currently Group B is:

England - 3 points (1 game, +4 GD)

Iran          - 3 points (2 games, -2 GD)

USA         - 1 points (1 game, 0 GD)

Wales     - 1 points (2 games, -2 GD)

USA needs to play for a win, but I'd be happy with a draw since we should be in with a win over Iran even if we lose today. Wales would need to win by at least one more goal than the United States to advance. After that it could come down to total goals scored  and I can't see Wales getting the extra goal and I hope I'm proven right. 

BTW, could Qatar be the first host to not even get a point at the World Cup? The Netherlands await.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

14 minutes ago, BrySmalls said:

Congratulations Qatar! You're the first team eliminated from the World Cup!

GROUP A (After 2 rounds)

Netherlands                  4 points (+2 GD, 4 goals scored)

Ecuador                            4 points (+2 GD, 3 goals scored)

Senegal                             3 points (0 GD, 4 goals scored)

Qatar                                 0 points (-4 GD, 1 goals scored)

FINAL GROUP  MATCHES

Senegal vs Ecuador (Senegal has to win to go through, Ecuador advances with a draw/win, can win the group with a better result than Netherlands or superior GD if both end on 7 points)

Netherlands vs Qatar (Netherlands advance with win/draw, win group with superior GD vs Ecuador if both have the same result. Qatar is packing their bags)

• Like 1

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

7 minutes ago, nickp91 said:

ESPN’s World Cup coverage was truly levels better than Fox’s has been

ESPN hasn't had to avoid pissing off the hosts.  At least with Russia there were enough stories to tell about the cities and venues that you can fill in a lot of dead space. When the best stadium was built less than ten years ago and by dubious means, it's not easy to fit that info in when you won't willingly say why that stadium was built. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

The US played really well today. Had the better of the chances, in my opinion. Was dominant in the midfield at times, which was completely unexpected. 

Got to beat Iran to advance. We can do this. If this US team shows up against Iran, they’ll beat them. 

EDIT: England still has never beaten the US in the World Cup.

• Like 3

Cowboys - Lakers - LAFC - USMNT - LA Rams - LA Kings - NUFC 

Just now, Rockstar Matt said:

The US played really well today. Had the better of the chances, in my

opinion. Was dominant in the midfield at times, which was completely unexpected. 

Got to beat Iran to advance. We can do this. If this US team shows up against Iran, they’ll beat them. 

US was the better team today, but a 0-0 result was fine.

I'm surprised they weren't allowed that throw-in at the very end, but whatever. Pulisic should have kicked it into the box instead of wide; I guess he was being punished for that.

Anyway, riveting game that could have gone either way. The Wales/Iran result is a huge boon to the US and they control their own fate. That's really all you can ask for.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

7 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

Wales needs to beat England and get some help with a USA/Iran draw plus goal differential to get through. Currently Group B is:

England - 3 points (1 game, +4 GD)

Iran          - 3 points (2 games, -2 GD)

USA         - 1 points (1 game, 0 GD)

Wales     - 1 points (2 games, -2 GD)

USA needs to play for a win, but I'd be happy with a draw since we should be in with a win over Iran even if we lose today. Wales would need to win by at least one more goal than the United States to advance. After that it could come down to total goals scored  and I can't see Wales getting the extra goal and I hope I'm proven right. 

BTW, could Qatar be the first host to not even get a point at the World Cup? The Netherlands await.

GROUP B

England            4 points (+4GD)

Iran                     3 points (-2 GD)

USA                    2 points (0 GD)

Wales                1 points (-2 GD) 

England 

- Win and claim top spot

- Tie and advance

Iran

- Win/Tie and advance

w/ England/Wales draw or England loss and they win the group

USA

Win and Advance

-Tie

Iran advances (4 points/3 points)

USA Win/England loss

- USA wins the group (5/4)

- England plays Group A Winner (Senegal, Ecuador or Netherlands)

USA & England both win

- USA gets Group A Winner (Senegal, Ecuador, or Netherlands)

- England gets Group A Runner-Up (Senegal, Ecuador, or Netherlands)

Wales

To Advance

- Win and a tie between USA/Iran 

-Wales would need to win by at least two goals to advance on GD, currently -2 for Wales and -2 for Iran since Iran has more goals scored.

16 minutes ago, Rockstar Matt said:

The US played really well today. Had the better of the chances, in my opinion. Was dominant in the midfield at times, which was completely unexpected. 

14 minutes ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

US was the better team today, but a 0-0 result was fine.

I'm surprised they weren't allowed that throw-in at the very end, but whatever. Pulisic should have kicked it into the box instead of wide; I guess he was being punished for that.

Anyway, riveting game that could have gone either way. The Wales/Iran result is a huge boon to the US and they control their own fate. That's really all you can ask for.

Glad to keep that unbeaten streak vs England in the World Cup.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Great result for the USA, and a hilarious wet fart from England. Unfortunately the morning result kind of screwed the US, Iran is the type of team they struggle to break down and it’s easy to see another scoreless draw happening there. The lack of any real finishing touch may well undermine some otherwise stout and well-rounded performances here.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers