Rite of Spring '14: Can you fall asleep with a panic switch?

The_Admiral

FWIW, I don't really care, I'm just stating my case. I refer to the teams I support as "we" or "us," if you choose to refer to them as "them," that's your prerogative.

Sure, it irks me because 1) I get worked up over pretty much everything, 2) it smacks false to me, since you had nothing to do with that team's success. You can argue, "well I bought the stuff that gave them money for their players," etc. when really that money would've been there anyway thanks to, in the NHL's case, revenue sharing. Plus your measly merchandise expenditure per year amounts to 1% of the pay of a healthy scratch on an AHL team. For one period of one game.

The average AHL salary is around $60,000. Divide that by 228 (76 games X 3 periods), and you get 263.16. Multiply that by 0.01 and you get $2.63. So unless I :censored:ed up the math, you are incorrect.

:P

AFdnRbi.gif

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

FWIW, I don't really care, I'm just stating my case. I refer to the teams I support as "we" or "us," if you choose to refer to them as "them," that's your prerogative.

Sure, it irks me because 1) I get worked up over pretty much everything, 2) it smacks false to me, since you had nothing to do with that team's success. You can argue, "well I bought the stuff that gave them money for their players," etc. when really that money would've been there anyway thanks to, in the NHL's case, revenue sharing. Plus your measly merchandise expenditure per year amounts to 1% of the pay of a healthy scratch on an AHL team. For one period of one game.

I don't vote because politics is something I don't have a strong grasp of, but just to play devil's advocate: that's like saying voting doesn't matter. Every little bit counts.

When NJTank reads that post:

XU5G6Jm.gif

I actually thought of Tank as I typed that response. :P

And FWIW, the Ducks (see I didn't use "we") weren't using their starter (at the time Freddie Andersen) either when they were eliminated.

This is true but, lets not kid ourselves, we both know that Fredrick Andersen, John Gibson, or Jonas Hiller; take your pick of any of those three because it doesn't matter at all, are all much better goaltenders than Anders Lindback. Part of that is Tampa Bay's problem, of course, for not having a quality backup, but this particular sub-topic is completely irrelevant to the original point here.

Ehh, at that point in time, I'm not exactly sure you can say Hiller was much better than Lindback. Towards the end of the season, Hiller was looking like Marc-Andre Fleury in a playoff game against the Flyers...

Anyways, I just thought that, of all people to point out the Ducks' failures, it probably shouldn't be you since your favorite team had nothing to do with the Ducks' loss, nor did your favorite team do any better than the Ducks.

... and it's starting to look like I was wrong... Toews might just in fact be the Messiah.

If the Blackhawks win (and don't get me wrong, I want them to :censored:ing win, I hate the Kings more than I hate Westboro Baptist Church), maybe we should start the Church of Jonathan Toews.

... and it's starting to look like I was wrong... Toews might just in fact be the Messiah.

If the Blackhawks win (and don't get me wrong, I want them to :censored:ing win, I hate the Kings more than I hate Westboro Baptist Church), maybe we should start the Church of Jonathan Toews.

The holy land...

fishinglake_zps14140083.jpg

Methinks one needs to get their priorities together.

VmWIn6B.png

Methinks one needs to get their priorities together.

bxDvF9i.gif

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

I'm exaggerating, LMU. (but thinking about it, WBC has never caused me any displeasure personally, unlike the LA Kings)

The holy land...

fishinglake_zps14140083.jpg

Lake Toews!

Sports are just a game, and there is absolutely no legitimate reason to be upset over them.

People who say things like that are the same ones who lose their :censored:-ing minds over the way the Sopranos ended or someone getting killed on Game of Thrones. B)

BB52Big.jpg

All roads lead to Dollar General.

Jesus Christ Chicago. At least we didn't get :censored:ing bitch slapped across the face.

I thought Toews was the second coming of Jesus? If he is, Hawks better be flying in the third.

1) You didn't? 6-2 on your home ice in Game 7 suggests otherwise.

2) Jonathan Toews is about the last problem Chicago has in this game and in this series right now.

That was one game, at least we took it 7.

And didn't your team get swept in the first round?

Ugh. I didn't know you worked for the franchise.

Don't act like you've never referred to the Bears, Cubs, and/or Blackhawks as "we" or "us".

I have not, actually. I make a point not to.

edit: Dammit people we discussed this on, like, episode 6 of Basically a Sports Show.

We did indeed discuss this very subject on Basically a Sports Show... Which can be heard on iTunes, Stitcher, Spreaker, and YouTube. You can also listen and download full episodes at BasicallyASportsShow.com. While you're there, be sure to check out some of the other fine programs in the "Basically A..." library like Basically a Geek Show, Basically a Football Show, and 27 Minutes of Nothing. Coming soon - the BASS Solo Albums.

I'm OK with using "we" when referring to your alma mater's teams. Other than that, I don't use "we." That said, it doesn't really bother me when people use the occasional "we." It's the ones who use "we" 35 times in the same post that drive me nuts.

BB52Big.jpg

Sports are just a game, and there is absolutely no legitimate reason to be upset over them.

People who say things like that are the same ones who lose their :censored:-ing minds over the way the Sopranos ended or someone getting killed on Game of Thrones. B)

Never seen either of those shows. Although, I did ball like a baby when Dumbledore died. :D

gbaCXZn.png

LA's gonna score. I can feel it.

We've got contradicting hockey ESP going here. I'm feeling a Blackhawks goal.

Well, considering the Blackhawks were in the Kings' zone 75% of the time, I don't think you were the only one feeling that.

So, game 5, double OT, Hawks-Kings.... What happened last year? .... is it going to happen this year?? We shall see.

LA's gonna score. I can feel it.

We've got contradicting hockey ESP going here. I'm feeling a Blackhawks goal.

Well, considering the Blackhawks were in the Kings' zone 75% of the time, I don't think you were the only one feeling that.

Buzzkill. B)

BB52Big.jpg

Archived