Milwaukee Bucks to be sold

Muggens

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sold to hedgies....

So its getting flipped to Seattle, right?

They stipulated that the team will stay in Milwaukee, but there is that remote possibility (a Sonicsgate like incident happening within a decade of the original would be disastrous for the NBA, even if it is a team that most people don't even know exists).

Sorry. Since when are hedgies 1) trustworthy and 2) long term owners?

If there are people that know a thing or two about Bucks, it's hedge fund managers

I saw, I came, I left.

Sold to hedgies....

So its getting flipped to Seattle, right?

They stipulated that the team will stay in Milwaukee, but there is that remote possibility (a Sonicsgate like incident happening within a decade of the original would be disastrous for the NBA, even if it is a team that most people don't even know exists).

Sorry. Since when are hedgies 1) trustworthy and 2) long term owners?

If there are people that know a thing or two about Bucks, it's hedge fund managers

a billionaire hedgie bought the Sixers ("I went to Penn, I have a connection to Philly... sorta!") then bought the Devils, and it wouldn't shock me to see him at least attempt to move the Sixers to Newark right as they're getting good with Noel, MCW, Wiggins (or whoever they get this year), and their other top 10 pick.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

a billionaire hedgie bought the Sixers ("I went to Penn, I have a connection to Philly... sorta!") then bought the Devils, and it wouldn't shock me to see him at least attempt to move the Sixers to Newark right as they're getting good with Noel, MCW, Wiggins (or whoever they get this year), and their other top 10 pick.

The Nets couldn't draw fans when they went to back-to-back Finals. Nobody's dumb enough to move another team to northern NJ even with a stadium waiting for them.

As much as I would love a new team in Newark it will never happen, the New York market can only support two teams and though they are in Brooklyn I know I am stillloyal to the Nets.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

I don't know enough about the market to know one way or the other whether it would work, but it just seems like the pieces are falling in to place for a move in a few years (not sure what the lease is with the Flyers, but I get the feeling that they wouldn't mind having more dates opened for other events.)

Heck - the Sixers and Devils already have joint announcements, like when they announced the affiliation with party poker.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I think that Joshua Harris has considered moving the 76ers to Newark. Still, I don't think he'd get the necessary league approval. I don't see the NBA willingly abandoning Philadelphia in favour of northern New Jersey.

I don't think that they will either, but that this is even coming up speaks to how badly Philadelphia has been allowed to atrophy as a pro hoops town.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

As much as I would love a new team in Newark it will never happen, the New York market can only support two teams and though they are in Brooklyn I know I am stillloyal to the Nets.

I'm skeptical about the New York area still supporting three NHL teams. I'll be closely watching how the first couple of months of the Islanders in Brooklyn will be.

Will the Isles be completely welcomed in Brooklyn and embraced like their glory days in Long Island in the early-1980s, or will it just be yet another 15-minute hipster fad in Williamsburg-country to be replaced by the newest bike-parking, $40 kale-burrito cafe?

dba, I keep saying it and you keep not listening: the Bobos have never really taken to hockey en masse. The people you're always railing on are the people who post on Deadspin every day about how stupid hockey and its fans are.

From the article,

This isn't a threat so much as a checks-and-balance measure by Kohl and the league to make sure we don't see another situation like what happened with the Seattle SuperSonics and their eventual move to becoming the Oklahoma City Thunder. Clay Bennett purchased the team and when a new arena fell apart in Seattle, he quickly moved the team back to his hometown in Oklahoma City.

It's a nice gesture by all parties involved to show the people of Milwaukee the league wants to keep the team there.

What? Yes, it is a threat. Why would the NBA seize a team from ownership that couldn't get an arena built for three years to...get an arena built? How would that work? If it should ever come to that, then it would mean that Milwaukee has made its decision on whether the Bucks are worth committing public money to, and surely there would be no further convincing the league could do.

Second of all, that's some delightful revisionist history on Crewcut Clay's path out of town. Yeah, he moved the team to his hometown when his categorically implausible arena demand failed as planned.

I stumbled over that as well. If anything, this makes it a threat a few days after all seemed well with "Milwaukee-committed" ownership. And more like the Seattle situation. Except the new owners won't be the ones packing.

To me, this is solely intended to let Kohl off the hook.

And maybe Milwaukee should call the bluff. Bradley Center is fine for the NHL for yeaes to come, I'm sure, and based on the contingent here, many would welcome the trade. And that way Seattle could get what it really wants and keep the NHL out of there.

I love having the Bucks as a cheap alternative to the UC, but...

Archived