Florida Gators FINAL UPDATE pg 3. bonus FSU update.

mcrosby

This is solid work.

I'm also curious that you mentioned refreshing the other schools in Florida. Not sure if that's a typo and you're just working on UF or if you meant that as a plural and you'll be posting concepts for FAU, FIU, UCF and USF as well?

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is solid work.

I'm also curious that you mentioned refreshing the other schools in Florida. Not sure if that's a typo and you're just working on UF or if you meant that as a plural and you'll be posting concepts for FAU, FIU, UCF and USF as well?

I was referring to the recent releases of Miami and FSU uniforms. I've done a FSU logo in the past, which you can see on my dribbble page, linked in my sig.

yea the teeth are not working right now. i think it might be best to just do one side of teeth and not try to be too literal with it, trying to put all the teeth in on both sides of the jaw. the top lip line extends too far down the face too i think. if you shorten it it will help define the mouth/cheek area better. and yea just lose the neck lines and go with the face.

i would also suggest trying a brighter green. nothing really pops out right now except the white. if you go with a slighter brighter green it will look less muddy and define your shapes a bit more

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

You know what's funny? I think great executed concepts like this that get posted on the boards does get the right C&C. I think people know it can be great. What's funny is that there are A LOT of bad to mediocre concepts that don't get a lot of C&C or negative feedback. It seems like if a logo doesn't start out good people feel less likely to try and help out because it would take to long, and just say 'nice job'.

I can see why you'd think that, but from my perspective (and I'm sure other people who try to leave quality C&C), there's something to be said for the amount of effort put in to a concept. There's clear effort here, and I doubt it took Mark 15 minutes to create this (unlike some of the 'bad to mediocre' ones you mention). For that reason, I personally am inclined to comment on something that has more thought and effort behind it than "this is just a quick idea I had c&c plz" concepts. It's a hell of a lot more likely my C&C will be heard and considered with posters/projects like this.

That said, +1 on the teeth issue, as well as jaha and colej's assessment of the neck area. I also like Brandon's suggestion of brightening up the green a touch to improve the visibility of the mark. When I think Florida Gators, I think bright colors. Your color selection seems a bit muted for them at the moment. Nice update of the logo, though! Looking forward to seeing some refinements.

Alright, time for an update.

First of all, thank you all for the great C&C, I've tried to take into account what ya'all have said so far.

That being said, I've left the neck portion in for now. It helps create that oval shape that I really enjoy.

The teeth have been updated, a tongue has been added, and the eye is now white. I've also made a few adjustments to the neck. Keep those comments coming.

floridadribbble.png

As an added bonus, I've updated my FSU logo with the new feather and a few other adjustments. How would you like to see these two face off?

FSU-UF_zpseecbea16.png

You know what's funny? I think great executed concepts like this that get posted on the boards does get the right C&C. I think people know it can be great. What's funny is that there are A LOT of bad to mediocre concepts that don't get a lot of C&C or negative feedback. It seems like if a logo doesn't start out good people feel less likely to try and help out because it would take to long, and just say 'nice job'.

I can see why you'd think that, but from my perspective (and I'm sure other people who try to leave quality C&C), there's something to be said for the amount of effort put in to a concept. There's clear effort here, and I doubt it took Mark 15 minutes to create this (unlike some of the 'bad to mediocre' ones you mention). For that reason, I personally am inclined to comment on something that has more thought and effort behind it than "this is just a quick idea I had c&c plz" concepts. It's a hell of a lot more likely my C&C will be heard and considered with posters/projects like this.

That said, +1 on the teeth issue, as well as jaha and colej's assessment of the neck area. I also like Brandon's suggestion of brightening up the green a touch to improve the visibility of the mark. When I think Florida Gators, I think bright colors. Your color selection seems a bit muted for them at the moment. Nice update of the logo, though! Looking forward to seeing some refinements.

That is what's wrong. At your skill level, the "bad and mediocre" one could take you 15 minutes. Most members here are not at your level. How do you know it only took them 15 minutes, just because it could take you 15 minutes? They could have spent hours on a project, then someone at your skill lever tells them put effort into it "don't just throw something together". To someone with a weak skill level, that's a insult. So when they get those kind of C&C it could discourage them so they don't even bother updating it. Not everyone has illustrator and using different programs and may not have the knowledge of the program to do it as quick as you. I am one of those "bad to mediocre" members and I get some good C&C but not a lot. Most look and move one and feel as you do.

t8ojkk.jpg24fhb3a.pngopr7er.png23tfsx.png

That is what's wrong. At your skill level, the "bad and mediocre" one could take you 15 minutes. Most members here are not at your level. How do you know it only took them 15 minutes, just because it could take you 15 minutes? They could have spent hours on a project, then someone at your skill lever tells them put effort into it "don't just throw something together". To someone with a weak skill level, that's a insult. So when they get those kind of C&C it could discourage them so they don't even bother updating it. Not everyone has illustrator and using different programs and may not have the knowledge of the program to do it as quick as you. I am one of those "bad to mediocre" members and I get some good C&C but not a lot. Most look and move one and feel as you do.

You're focused on the entirely wrong thing here, amigo.

It has nothing to do with time spent, tools used, or skill level. If I look at a concept and can see that the person put a sincere amount of effort into it, I'm more inclined to comment. Believe it or not, it's pretty easy to tell the difference at any skill level, especially when you've been around here a while. Perhaps the way I stated that may have confused you, but I wanted to clarify myself since it seems to have struck a chord with you.

---

I like the update, Mark, but I'm still bothered by the neck section a bit. I get that you want to keep the oval shape, but I wouldn't pigeonhole the design with that one wish. Is there a way to keep the neck without sweeping it forward like that? When I glanced at it, I got the feeling it was a gator on it's back (because of the light green on the neck).

No, that's the entire thing I was getting at. I just find it funny sometimes that the most critiqued things are probably the most well done. Then again, recently there haven't been a lot of concepts being critiqued well simply because of the horridness of the concepts that have been uploaded recently to these boards. The last two months are the worst months I've seen on these boards since I've started.

I like the update, Mark, but I'm still bothered by the neck section a bit. I get that you want to keep the oval shape, but I wouldn't pigeonhole the design with that one wish. Is there a way to keep the neck without sweeping it forward like that? When I glanced at it, I got the feeling it was a gator on it's back (because of the light green on the neck).

This. This is great feedback.

Worry more about the gator and less about the oval.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Update #2 and #3.

The top-left concept is what I was originally going to do, it added more light green and is more anatomically correct.

The bottom-right concept is 100% fu-manchu-less.

Florida8x62_zps30fe0ea8.png

To be honest, I didn't see anything wrong with the way the corner of the mouth was rendered in the original post. In fact, that was one of the best parts of the original mark IMO. You may want to try connecting the shape that makes up the back of the gator to the rest of the gator's head at one end. As is, it looks a little dis-conected from the mark and almost comes off as spikes/spines which may be part of why many are saying it looks like a dinosaur/dragon. Also, I'm not entirely convinced you need two shades of green.

I'm looking forward to seeing the final product, you're really onto something!

2043050vl19qK6.gif

This is a great update. The neck had to go. The only thing now is that the pointed oval looks like it's a football now, and of course Florida has basketball, baseball, track, etc... I don't know how necessary the tongue is but this is pretty much perfect. I wonder how it looks on a white or orange background since there isn't a ton of blue in the logo itself.

Archived