Surprised that a pro team can be named after a product

Rays

I drank a Red Bull once and it gave me really scary heart palpitations. Admittedly, I was 12 at the time, but it's still nothing I'll ever touch again. Tastes like metal, and not the good kind like Black Sabbath.

Exactly, might as well call a team The "Methheads", i see see kids everywhere with the big cans of the stuff, def. a dangerous product, pretty sure not even athletes use it.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't forget about the Detroit Pistons - originally the Ft. Wayne Zollner Pistons, named after owner Fred Zollner's manufacturing company, which made... Pistons. And the Sacramento Kings started out in Rochester as the Seagrams, owned by the distillery, before changing their name to the "Royals".

If the Red Bulls didn't think they could market the corporate branding, they wouldn't of done it in the first place. obviously, a name like Red Bulls works for sports teams.

If Burger King bought out A team and renamed themselves the Kings and put the Burger King "King" as the logo, nobody in their right mind would support that. It all just depends. You have to let the consumer decide and have the company put the consumer in perspective.

I've heard from many soccer fans in the city who dropped the MetroStars, or didn't start following the Red Bulls, for just that reason.

And I don't wish to be rude, and hope you will take this in the spirit in which it's offered, but it's "wouldn't have". Grammar pet peeve of mine.

I've heard from many soccer fans in the city who dropped the MetroStars, or didn't start following the Red Bulls, for just that reason.

And I don't wish to be rude, and hope you will take this in the spirit in which it's offered, but it's "wouldn't have". Grammar pet peeve of mine.

No problem. it's one of those things that I always seem to screw up on, but if it were on a test, I would know the difference. It's just a bad habit it mine. Same with "it'd".

I'm sure they that there would be fans against the branding. But I'm sure the Red Bulls saw more positives then negatives in the decision, and the MLS didn't think (and the other leagues that have Red Bull teams) it would ruin the integrity of the league or the team. Personally, I don't think it does. I think it's actually the perfect kind of logo to be on both an energy drink and a sports team.

I'm just glad it hasn't caught on, or else it would get annoying real fast.

No problem. it's one of those things that I always seem to screw up on, but if it were on a test, I would know the difference. It's just a bad habit it mine. Same with "it'd".

I'm sure they that there would be fans against the branding. But I'm sure the Red Bulls saw more positives then negatives in the decision, and the MLS didn't think (and the other leagues that have Red Bull teams) it would ruin the integrity of the league or the team. Personally, I don't think it does. I think it's actually the perfect kind of logo to be on both an energy drink and a sports team.

I'm just glad it hasn't caught on, or else it would get annoying real fast.

Well, the MetroStars were an absolute mess. The Red Bulls are somewhat less of a mess. Organizationally. But they still lag way behind in merchandise sales.

I'm not sure at all that MLS would agree to such a rebranding today. They were in a much weaker place a decade ago...

If the Red Bulls didn't think they could market the corporate branding, they wouldn't of done it in the first place. obviously, a name like Red Bulls works for sports teams.

If Burger King bought out A team and renamed themselves the Kings and put the Burger King "King" as the logo, nobody in their right mind would support that. It all just depends. You have to let the consumer decide and have the company put the consumer in perspective.

LOL.......pretty sure Whoppers are more healthy then the red bull drink

Red Bull's are a lot healthier than a Whopper. Red Bull is basically sugar water with a :censored: ton of Vitamins and caffeine.

Granted, too much of it is unhealthy, but that is true of most things.

jNTsTyQ.png

RB Leipzig is steadily climbing the ladder in German soccer and it is a worrying development: the board of the club (totally inaccessible for outsiders) consists of stock carrying cronies of the soft drink owner who do not care about sports or soccer fans at all. Everything is artificial about the club, supporters are seen as background extras who do not need to be heard by the club (their financial contribution to the game is more or less meaningless, as the main source of income is the subsidizing by the extremely rich Red Bull owner). The main purpose of the club (as is of all the extreme sports Red Bull is sponsoring) is to draw a lot of media attention in order to sell more cans. Call it innovative marketing if you like, it has nothing to do with feeling sympathetic towards sports or showing empathy towards its passionate practitioners and followers. As soon as another aspect of modern life will generate more money, Red Bull will vanish from the sporting scene. That the product itself, being endorsed in a sports environment, is actually bad for your health (especially for young people, the main target group) is extremely ironic.

On the other hand, this is 2014 and companies with strong brands rule our lives because we allow them to do so. They simply tap in to our global yearning to feel as one big, happy, virtual family who all want to consume the same way. They have taken over our sense of identity from inefficient and self serving politicians. That we have given up our identities and are nothing but a flock of sheep being led through life by the big business sheepdogs, who cares? Pass me the Red Bull!

Red Bull's are a lot healthier than a Whopper. Red Bull is basically sugar water with a :censored: ton of Vitamins and caffeine.

"Red Bull's are a lot healthier than a Whopper"..?...i am no doctor, but a burger has some nutrients, where the drink is water + tons of sugar then add caffeine, should be illegal to sell that :censored: !

the rules in Germany prohibit the use of sponsor's full names as part of a club's playing name... We have similar rules in England...

Are the rules in Wales different? There was recently a club called Total Network Solutions; though I'm not sure if the club was actually owned by that company. It now goes by the name The New Saints, preserving the initials TNS.

Nothing wrong with "it'd" as a contraction of "it would" ("it would be great to do that" = "it'd be great to do that") or "it had" ("it had been three years since I saw him" = "it'd been three years since I saw him").

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

I've thought about this off and on since I'm a big supporter of MLS and I'm still on the fence about it.

I understand Red Bull is primarily an energy drink but with the amount of sporting events they organize at what point does it also become synonymous as a sports brand?

The drink is their cash cow. Their sports properties were originally designed as advertising vehicles along with their media properties but as the energy drink business is becoming globally mature they are trying to diversify much like the Virgin business model over the last 20 years, and and potentially make the majority of their efforts profitable.

It should be fun to watch and see if they can execute such a bold plan. They also need to demonstrate that they have a viable succession plan given the owner's advance age.

"Red Bull's are a lot healthier than a Whopper"..?...i am no doctor, but a burger has some nutrients, where the drink is water + tons of sugar then add caffeine, should be illegal to sell that :censored: !

I'm hardly suggesting its healthy, but coffee has just as much caffeine and soda (and pretty much any sweetened drink like Sweetened Ice Tea, Vitamin Water, or Juice) has about as much sugar as a regular Red Bull.

Drinking any of those substances in moderation and you'll be fine. Drinking anything to excess outside of water is harmful to your health.

Unless there is rat poison in Red Bull, you should be calling for the ban of those other substances as well.

the rules in Germany prohibit the use of sponsor's full names as part of a club's playing name... We have similar rules in England...

Are the rules in Wales different? There was recently a club called Total Network Solutions; though I'm not sure if the club was actually owned by that company. It now goes by the name The New Saints, preserving the initials TNS.

The rules vary between the various Football Associations, some are stricter on this than others - in the case of TNS, they renamed themselves after a sponsor. They adopted their current moniker of 'The New Saints' after the sponsor was taken over by British Telecom and the deal was allowed to lapse. If memory serves, they tried to resell their naming rights to a new sponsor on ebay. Classy.

Incidentally, there is another Welsh club which bears the name of a company - Airbus UK Broughton. In this instance though they stated out life as the works team of a factory, rather than changing their name to satisfy a sponsor. They've actually had a few different names over the years as the ownership of said factory has changed.

When they compete in European competition though, they go by the name of AUK Broughton as UEFA is stricter on sponsorship than the FAW.

If you need the government to tell you what you can or cannot drink, that's your own problem.

I really don't see a problem with the Red Bull corporate promotion. The energy drink business and sports industry seem to go hand in hand sometimes.

I'm hardly suggesting its healthy, but coffee has just as much caffeine and soda (and pretty much any sweetened drink like Sweetened Ice Tea, Vitamin Water, or Juice) has about as much sugar as a regular Red Bull.

Drinking any of those substances in moderation and you'll be fine. Drinking anything to excess outside of water is harmful to your health.

Unless there is rat poison in Red Bull, you should be calling for the ban of those other substances as well.

Water in excess can be harmful to your health too, it can flush all the nutrients out of your body and kill you. It's called water poisoning and happens quite common now with people carrying gallons of water with them everywhere thinking they are being healthier, but if they arent getting the proper amounts if sodium and electrolytes as well that keeps the nutrients in your body it's actually harming them. That is why MRE's have lots of sodium in them to actually prevent dehydration and heat casualties.

Yeah I know there is water poisoning but I thought it was so much that it wasn't worth mentioning! Maybe its less than I thought.

Anyway, my point stands: Red Bull is not any more evil than coffee and soda and too much of anything is bad for you.

Archived