new Orlando City Soccer MLS logo

BrandMooreArt

Cool logo (lions!)

but what the hell does 'Orlando City" mean?

I think it means that they like the way "Manchester City" sounds.

Uggh. Didnt even think of that as I only VERY causally follow what goes on in the EPL. More Euro-envy from the MLS.

It's better than "Sporting" or anything along those lines. Orlando is a city so it makes sense, plus, Orlando City doesn't sound too bad. Better than the "Orlando Lions", that's for sure.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cool logo (lions!)

Uggh. Didnt even think of that as I only VERY causally follow what goes on in the EPL. More Euro-envy from the MLS.

It's better than "Sporting" or anything along those lines. Orlando is a city so it makes sense, plus, Orlando City doesn't sound too bad. Better than the "Orlando Lions", that's for sure.

It doesn't sound bad, but I'd prefer that name for NYCFC. I've said it before but I just really like the sound of "New York City" as name for a soccer team in New York. Especially with a team affiliated with Manchester City

90758391980.gif

I threw together a couple variations of the logo. I added some red made the lion a little larger adjusted "City" down and two tone purple. I did these real quick so they are not the best quality.

alstx1.jpg

3rd one but i'd shrink the lion head maybe a bit.

Cool logo (lions!)

It doesn't sound bad, but I'd prefer that name for NYCFC. I've said it before but I just really like the sound of "New York City" as name for a soccer team in New York. Especially with a team affiliated with Manchester City

You can't just have "New York City" without anything else, because New York City.

The beat name is what they ended up with, which we can still call "City" for short.

Cool logo (lions!)

You can't just have "New York City" without anything else, because New York City.

The beat name is what they ended up with, which we can still call "City" for short.

I'm assuming a major part of the reason Manchester City put a team in well, New York City. Was because, New York "City". So it's basically like Manchester City or Orlando City, as if it's referring to the state "New York".

Once again, Atlanta City would sound weird, and this is where I think a team name like "Flames" or "Firebirds" would sound better. Simply because, there's no ties to a different team, no major "cultural" preference of the team supporting it, and nothing that even sounds remotely good.

However, I'm really hoping that for Miami we get a team named, "Port Miami". It's like the Americans take on the Europe-naming system of teams.

They're already Orlando City SC; why change now? The only change necessary it's their crest, because the current version's awful.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ Branded | Behance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

I'm assuming a major part of the reason Manchester City put a team in well, New York City. Was because, New York "City". So it's basically like Manchester City or Orlando City, as if it's referring to the state "New York".

Yeah. Except no, not at all.

Their focus is entirely on the city. Not the state. They've made little bones about that.

They put a team here because there are nine million people in the five boroughs, without a Major League Soccer team to call their own. MLS knew that, and wanted to fix that mistake even before Man City got on board. Heck, the league even trademarked "City FC" as one of their options when shopping around for a buyer. Which means even if Chelsea FC had decided to get in the game, we might have ended up with the exact same name.

Is there some nice little synchronicity? Or should that be synchroni-city? Of course. But the name is an add-on. It's not driving the deal.

Yeah. Except no, not at all.

Their focus is entirely on the city. Not the state. They've made little bones about that.

They put a team here because there are nine million people in the five boroughs, without a Major League Soccer team to call their own. MLS knew that, and wanted to fix that mistake even before Man City got on board. Heck, the league even trademarked "City FC" as one of their options when shopping around for a buyer. Which means even if Chelsea FC had decided to get in the game, we might have ended up with the exact same name.

Is there some nice little synchronicity? Or should that be synchroni-city? Of course. But the name is an add-on. It's not driving the deal.

The city was still targeted to be apart of the City imagine. New York fit the bill for what Manchester believed would be a good investment. Obviously the ability to sell the marketing of the team, with a name like New York City, would be a perfect name.

Of course I know the team is really focusing on the city, not the state, But obviously, from a purely "American rules of how the team is named" way, the team name is:

New York City. Football Club

(Location) (Team name) (FC identifier)

But alas, Americans and a few other countries are the only countries that use this form of naming system.

Hell, maybe not a "major part", but I'm sure the "image" of the city played a part in choosing which major market should be targeted.

Sure, because New York is a global city and brand, that was without an MLS club. They get to own a huge and lucrative market.

But I still think you're way overthinking this, especially trying to force their name into some sort of "American" construction pattern.

I'll agree with you there. This whole conversation on NYCFC is a bit off topic anyway though, it's not like the city of Orlando is called Orlando City. They did, what Manchester City did, is add "City" to the end of Orlando. In my opinion, it sounds classy and identifiable as a Soccer club, without being too lame.

I'll agree with you there. This whole conversation on NYCFC is a bit off topic anyway though, it's not like the city of Orlando is called Orlando City. They did, what Manchester City did, is add "City" to the end of Orlando. In my opinion, it sounds classy and identifiable as a Soccer club, without being too lame.

New York City is the actual name of the city, sure. But none of their sports teams use it. There's no New York City Knicks or Mets or Rangers, etc. So I'm thinking they could go along with the whole New York [insert team name] like every other team in New York and in this case the team name would be City.

90758391980.gif

New York City is the actual name of the city, sure.

Well...

The city is officially referred to as "New York City", "NYC" and "The City of New York", and just "New York", even by the city government itself. So the Yankees, Rangers, and all the like are referring to the city by one official name, and NYCFC by another. It's all the same.

• 3 weeks later...

Paging site football history expert Jaffa here!

What was the first club to use "City" in their name?

Heh - I've only just seen this. :P Truth be told, it's not something I know off of the top of my head.

The question's complicated by the fact that a number of very old British clubs who carry the 'City' suffix were founded before the places they're based were awarded city status (Swansea City were Swansea Town until the late 1960s, for example).

I've had a quick look through a couple of lists and Oxford City might have a claim, they were founded in 1882. Maybe someone knows of a team carrying the name before that, though?

The first mention I can find of a 'City' in the FA Cup is Lincoln City (founded 1884), who appeared in the 1884-85 competition. Their First Round match was a 5-1 drubbing of, erm, Hull Town. Ahem.

Archived