Washington Logo Concept - Has anybody done this before? ***UPDATE 6/4***

hockey week

I had an idea for a concept logo for a Washington team (the Capitals makes the most sense but nothing truly says that it couldn't be the Nationals, or a new team, maybe a minor league affiliate), but it seems like such a simple idea that I find it hard to believe it hasn't been done before. I've looked at enough logo concepts on here and elsewhere that I wouldn't be at all surprised if I was, without knowing it, ripping off someone else's work.

So I am asking you all, does this look like a logo similar to anything you've seen? or is this something new?

If it's something new, is it any good? Any C&C?

Major apologies if it's close to something that already exists.

washingtonlogocopy_zps3de1aad2.png

washingtonlogoonred_zps99523808.png

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

I like the idea of incorporating the monument in there but you lose me at the ends of the "W". I'm not sure what it is but something isnt right. This would work as a shoulder patch possibly.

I like the idea of incorporating the monument in there but you lose me at the ends of the "W". I'm not sure what it is but something isnt right. This would work as a shoulder patch possibly.

yes!!!! that was what I was thinking. Why are they slanted?

tinysig.jpg

yes!!!! that was what I was thinking. Why are they slanted?

They might be hockey sticks. I love the idea, especially the Washington Monument in the bottom of the W

Washington (independent) Hockey Logos.

Some folks will get the reference.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

The slanted serifs make the two ends odd the logo look like a woman's legs... And the Washington Monument looks like....

You know what, forget that. This is the most appropriate logo for Washington DC I've ever seen.

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

So this IS original? Wow, I guess what I experienced is what they call "inspiration" lol.

I don't know why I slanted the serifs, I thought it would look more old-timey and different. Let me play around with a few options and see what you think.

And now that I know it's my own, I'm going to clean it up a bit. I didn't want to spend hours on something I was going to throw away.

As far as I know, this is an original combination of the three stars and two stripes of DC's flag (and George Washington's arms) and a W, but the Capitol dome and the (tip of the) Monument are also shown in the middle of the W used by the Washington Capitals as their shoulder logo.

dcflag_2.jpg?itok=sgGCLxCu

http://wamu.org/sites/wamu.org/files/styles/headline_landscape/public/images/attach/dcflag_2.jpg?itok=sgGCLxCu

b9hvwjslf7jzh18ej6y4.gif

Use the rules of heraldry for more effective sports logos! i.e. keep it simple, use good contrast...

I tried to incorporate some of the suggestions given, primarily to turn the serifs into hockey sticks and to get rid of the slant of the serifs...and in so doing, I changed the font of the W to look more hockey-stick-like, and it turned out to be a more squat than vertical logo, which I think might look better on a hockey sweater.

What say you? Better? Worse? Where to go from here?

washingtonlogov2_zps95889904.png

I tried to incorporate some of the suggestions given, primarily to turn the serifs into hockey sticks and to get rid of the slant of the serifs...and in so doing, I changed the font of the W to look more hockey-stick-like, and it turned out to be a more squat than vertical logo, which I think might look better on a hockey sweater.

What say you? Better? Worse? Where to go from here?

washingtonlogov2_zps95889904.png

Naw, Waldo's still too excited. But kudos to Mrs. Waldo. No wonder she's always trying to find him.

Archived