Minnesota MLS Franchise?

bartodell

this mls expansion mania is becoming a joke...this is like the tech bubble where everybody is paying astronomical expansion fees for a very optimistic future return...it's pretty dangerous when its business model has expansion fees as the #1 source of revenue...eventually you actually have to show some return on that investment which is ultimately a tv contract and for tv money you need ratings which they absolutely do not have yet...oh and those other two requirements of taxpayer funded venues and a pool of talent to market...this is a recipe for disaster.

Keep in mind that:

1-The Guinness International Series is owned by Dolphins owner Steven Ross, so he is throwing summer events to his fellow NFL owners and one to his alma mater with a game at Michigan Stadium.

2-It has been talked about in other threads, but there is another Twin Cities billionaire who is looking to own the franchise.

this mls expansion mania is becoming a joke...this is like the tech bubble where everybody is paying astronomical expansion fees for a very optimistic future return...it's pretty dangerous when its business model has expansion fees as the #1 source of revenue...eventually you actually have to show some return on that investment which is ultimately a tv contract and for tv money you need ratings which they absolutely do not have yet...oh and those other two requirements of taxpayer funded venues and a pool of talent to market...this is a recipe for disaster.

The NFL owner like Arthur Blank and in this case Wilf, are looking to justify the public dollars spent on a stadium which is going to be used between 10-14 times a year and this control that revenue too. The municipality(-ies) still see it (wrongly) as a manner to bring in sales tax dollars and are afraid to "lose" something which the public identifies with.

I'm fine with Minnesota over some of the other speculated cities out there (especially Las Vegas).

I think prospective expansion clubs with existing strong (USL, NASL) fan bases and/or supporter's clubs like (Portland, Seattle, Philadelphia, Orlando) in place should continue to be an important factor.

Outside of Minnesota United FC, I am not familiar with this element there if anyone can lend some perspective.

(MLF) Chicago Cannons,  (IHA) Phoenix Firebirds - 2021 Xtreme Cup Champions

(WAFL) Phoenix Federals - WAFL World Bowl XII Champions (Defunct)

I'm fine with Minnesota over some of the other speculated cities out there (especially Las Vegas).

I think prospective expansion clubs with existing strong (USL, NASL) fan bases and/or supporter's clubs like (Portland, Seattle, Philadelphia, Orlando) in place should continue to be an important factor.

Outside of Minnesota United FC, I am not familiar with this element there if anyone can lend some perspective.

I don't think anybody has considered Las Vegas as an MLS contender. Cities like San Antonio, Minnesota, and maybe Sacremento are the only cities that have a real shot at getting an MLS team. Atlanta and Miami arent supposed to start for quite sometime though, and it's hard to really understand what the financial situation of the MLS will look like 2018+.

It's getting harder to justify building these $1 billion dollar stadiums, with only 10 set dates a year. The MLS gets you around 20 more dates/year at the arena.

It's risky playing in such a big venue though. It works for the Whitecaps and Sounders, but fails miserably for the Revs and DC United.

NY (NJ), Sporting KC, and San Jose's success all came from moving into smaller venues.

Since Miami's stadium plan got shot down, I'm not sure at all that they're still guaranteed to be in the mix.

I wouldn't be so sure. Beckham is both rich and powerful, and if he wants a team in Miami, I can't imagine he won't make it happen. Money for a new stadium can come from a lot of different sources, one being Beckham himself.

I don't think anybody has considered Las Vegas as an MLS contender. Cities like San Antonio, Minnesota, and maybe Sacremento are the only cities that have a real shot at getting an MLS team. Atlanta and Miami arent supposed to start for quite sometime though, and it's hard to really understand what the financial situation of the MLS will look like 2018+.

I think the only group that thinks Vegas has a shot is/are the individuals in Vegas trying to drum up support and a stadium. It will not materialize.

(MLF) Chicago Cannons,  (IHA) Phoenix Firebirds - 2021 Xtreme Cup Champions

(WAFL) Phoenix Federals - WAFL World Bowl XII Champions (Defunct)

I think the only group that thinks Vegas has a shot is/are the individuals in Vegas trying to drum up support and a stadium. It will not materialize.

I mean, Las Vegas doesn't even have a NASL or USL team. What support do they have if at all? It's kinda surprising to me that there isn't any form of minor league soccer team in Las Vegas though, as it seems like I have read hundreds of articles of so called 'experts' thinking Las Vegas could be worthy of an NBA, NFL, or NHL team. I understand most of that is uneducated hype, but still, not even a PDL team?

I mean, Las Vegas doesn't even have a NASL or USL team. What support do they have if at all? It's kinda surprising to me that there isn't any form of minor league soccer team in Las Vegas though, as it seems like I have read hundreds of articles of so called 'experts' thinking Las Vegas could be worthy of an NBA, NFL, or NHL team. I understand most of that is uneducated hype, but still, not even a PDL team?

Not a bad point at all, young man.

It is what it is.

Las Vegas and Clark county leaders know the following:

1- Over 27% of the state's population is Hispanic and is growing (but not as fast as their Asian population). Specifically, US-born Hispanics. (Pew Research)

2- Their median age is under 30.

3- Sam Boyd Stadium has over 20K for an El Super Clasico "friendly" match last July (along with so many tailgating fights/arrests, the LVPD and Clark County Sherriff closed the parking lots early), but there were fans who were turned away.

4- Las Vegas City Council just gave a TIF District for a soccer stadium without knowing the overall cost last week.

Also it won't surprise me if some (or all) of these teams playing in football stadia will suddenly need taxpayer funded 20K stadia in a decade. They never stop coming to the taxpayer trough.

"I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be." -Peter Gibbons

RIP Demitra #38

Archived