Toronto Raptors rebrand

MkDon

Bumping with a purpose:

Apparently Demar Derozan is to thank for the Raptors not going full-OVO. From Kyle Lowry:

We was supposed to change everything. We was supposed to go to black and gold everything.

And DeMar was like, he didn’t want to do that, because he’s been here with the red and the white – and they’re Canadian colors.
Listen, our colors are red and white. This is what it is. Let’s leave it how it is. We’re Canada’s team.

http://nba.nbcsports.com/2016/01/15/kyle-lowry-demar-derozan-stopped-raptors-from-making-black-and-gold-main-colors/

Bless him.

sig.png

• Replies 911
  • Created
  • Last Reply

More evidence that players should stay out of branding. The league is cluttered with red and black; gold and silver with black would have set the Raptors apart. Now it just sets them apart for like 14 nights a year.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

So the original plan was to be a walking OVO advertisement and Jay-Z/Brooklyn knockoff, but it was changed into a dried-out husk of their former identity because of DeRozan?

Uh-huh, sure. You'd think somebody would go, "Hey, this retro gear is selling pretty well, maybe we should do something in line with those, like, I dunno, use purple again or something?"

Tradition is the foundation of innovation, and not the enemy.

I'm so glad it's not full OVO, the red makes so much more sense, although I do like the black and gold.

Still though, I miss the OG barney jerseys. I know they don't work as a modern jersey, but it's still by far my favourite.

banners

Bumping with a purpose:

Apparently Demar Derozan is to thank for the Raptors not going full-OVO. From Kyle Lowry:

We was supposed to change everything. We was supposed to go to black and gold everything.

And DeMar was like, he didn’t want to do that, because he’s been here with the red and the white – and they’re Canadian colors.
Listen, our colors are red and white. This is what it is. Let’s leave it how it is. We’re Canada’s team.

http://nba.nbcsports.com/2016/01/15/kyle-lowry-demar-derozan-stopped-raptors-from-making-black-and-gold-main-colors/

Bless him.

They would have named a cathedral after him if he would have made them add purple, too. What a slacker.

• 1 year later...
  • IceCap locked this topic

Archived