Do you consider the MLS a major sports league in North America?

WhitecapsForLife11

I know we have a lot of soccer fans on these boards, so I want to know- do you consider the MLS a pro major sports league in North America, like the NHL, MLB, NFL and NBA. In my opinion, yes, and it will become more and more popular as time goes on, especially with the expansion and more elite players coming to play here. So do you agree or disagree.

spacer.pngspacer.png

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I believe the term Big 4+MLS encapsulates how I position MLS in terms of being a major league. It's close and is unquestionably the top of its sport in the US and Canada, but it's not quite up to the Big 4 yet. Give it a few years and I have a feeling the answer will be yes without hesitation. It's already gaining attendance wise on NHL and NBA. TV is where it still lags behind the Big 4 both revenue and overall viewership.

I do, but my definition of a "major pro sports league"is defined as the top league for the sport in which you play.

MLS is the top league of soccer in the US, so it is a major sports league

Yeah but see, at best case scenario MLS is still behind the EPL, La Liga, Serie A, Bundesliga, and Ligue 1 as far as being the top league for their sport. There's still more Man U fans and Barca fans than there are Galaxy fans even in the US, which says how much MLS still has to go in terms of being a major league in more than name

This is true, and I should clarify.

Within the context of the North American sporting world, the MLS is the top soccer league within North America.

So it is a major North American Sports League, but not a major soccer league.

5qWs8RS.png

Formerly known as DiePerske

Yeah, fix your poll.

MLS can never be on par with the other North American leagues as long as it doesn't feature the best players in the world, and all the scarves in the world won't change that. It's on par with AAA, the AHL, and I guess college basketball if we want to sidestep the big lie that the players don't get paid.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I do. It isn't nearly a Big 4, not when fans in the very cities MLS resides know much history about the league other than some early DC United buzz, Beckham stuff, & LA Galaxy buying recent titles.

So in that regard, it's not close.

However, N.Americans we're finally starting to embrace soccer as legit sports to watch & follow, not just feel weird about. While the DPing of older stars from abroad isn't much of anything really, I do believe there'll come a day when our money walks the walk... that soon enough stars of the sport will be playing in New York, LA, Toronto, & Portland for glory & a paycheque. Hell, maybe they sign here early & then go finish their careers in Europe instead of vice versa how it is now. Who knows.

Anyways, MLS is already ahead of faltering NASCAR (I think NASCAR was a sign of the 00's when its upswing was a curious attraction... yet no longer this decade).

A key for MLS would be going all in on the next MLB &/or NFL work stoppage... not likely since both seem pretty stable. Though filling summertime tv slots would be a gift.

Seriously, with the way golf has also come to flatline, MLS could even perhaps jump ahead of the PGA. Though it'd probably wait until Tiger retires.

cropped-cropped-toronto-skyline21.jpg?w=

@2001mark

The new MLS TV deal should help considerably. Summer sports on ESPN is mostly just baseball and free agency for more exciting sports, so having live MLS once a week on ESPN channels will go a long way to getting more eyes on the product.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

I believe MLS is growing leaps and bounds with trying to catch up to the Big 4 professional leagues in the US. Football in the US has been getting more popular with sports fans alike, mainly based on the last three World Cups and the expansion of clubs in the MLS (including signing of marquee players from around the world...hell Gerrard just signed with LA Galaxy). I do have to agree with that the new TV deal between ESPN and MLS will definitely put it in more homes throughout the US. Up here in Canada, coverage of live matches on both TSN and Sportsnet have increased over the last two years with both regional and national televised matches. I also believe that MLS rating will overcome NHL ratings but they will never compete against the other three. I myself would rather watch a MLS match between Portland and Vancouver vice the World Series or even the Super Bowl. Just my personal preference...

I think it's really just a matter of generations following the clubs. So while I do think it is a major league (Big 5 if you will), I completely understand others in saying it isn't. But you don't have grandfathers who grew up cheerinf for these clubs who passd it onto there kids and now grandkids. That I feel is what holds this league back. Everything is in line as long as they stay smart they could very well out do the NBA and NHL in 30 years.

untitled-6.jpg

Archived