1A 2A 3A 4A 5A 6A 7A

1B 2B 3B 4B 5B 6B 7B

1C 2C 3C 4C 5C 6C 7C

1D 2D 3D 4D 5D 6D 7D

1E 2E 3E 4E 5E 6E 7E

1F 2F 3F 4F 5F

grid

I prefer 4A and 1C

However, I am against changing the flag(and realize my opinions as a non New Zealander mean nothing)

5qWs8RS.png

Formerly known as DiePerske

Row 1, column 3 is near perfect, but i'd prefer if it were black instead of red and blue. Row 2, column 4 and row 6, column 4 would be my other choices. The koru is a much more pleasing visual element than the full fern frond.

spacer.png

Theres about 5 in there i really like. NZ has an actual chance at benefiting from a crowd sourced project if they go with one of those good ones.

I would eliminate any imagery of the Union jack right away. I would eliminate anything with a stroked star, black and white color (looks like a pirate flag) and anything with a diagonal fern leaf as well.

What i do like is something with curves, especially the curls which represent a young fern, a "birth of something new", although there are some ones made of rectangles and 90 degree angles that are strong too.

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

Theres about 5 in there i really like. NZ has an actual chance at benefiting from a crowd sourced project if they go with one of those good ones.

I would eliminate any imagery of the Union jack right away. I would eliminate anything with a stroked star, black and white color (looks like a pirate flag) and anything with a diagonal fern leaf as well.

What i do like is something with curves, especially the curls which represent a young fern, a "birth of something new", although there are some ones made of rectangles and 90 degree angles that are strong too.

Stroked star?

thing is though, black and white and the fern already have history with New Zealand and their sporting teams, so it makes the most sens(to me) to incoporate these into a potential new flag design

5qWs8RS.png

Formerly known as DiePerske

I like the one that replaces the Union Jack striping with the koru for the pure aesthetics of it, but it'd be a bit odd to see it flying on a pole, and I'm not hoping it wins at all.

For me, my favourite is second from the left, third down. With top left corner and centre, fourth down coming absolutely last.

I think New Zealand should have a bold, unique flag that's still simple enough to be recognizable. The fern is symbolic of the country, which doesn't necessarily mean it should be on the flag (I wouldn't advocate it myself), so if they want to go that route it shouldn't stick out like a sore thumb or an afterthought. I wouldn't like it to be just a fern on a solid background or having too contrasting colours on the flag (red, white and blue or white and black specifically in this case) which to me makes the flag just seemed chopped up down the middle and takes the focus off of the fern.

So my favourite of the fern options would be the silver and black one (3rd from left, 3 down), although that outline needs work on the black side.

thing is though, black and white and the fern already have history with New Zealand and their sporting teams, so it makes the most sens(to me) to incoporate these into a potential new flag design

i don't think the fern is a bad idea, just an ugly one. but i don't think it would be a good idea to design a national flag that is reflective of a major sporting team. i believe the military dresses in black and white sometimes too? im far from an expert on NZ history and culture but i wouldn't want to look at my national flag and think "soccer/football team"

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

Archived