SabresRule7361

2016-17 NHL Season: Happy 100th Birthday, National Hockey League

Recommended Posts

16 hours ago, Sodboy13 said:

Columbus comes off the bye week right into a back-to-back, and takes the weekend 12-2, because hockey makes no sense.

 

I was expecting 2 regulation losses and a lot of panicking from first-time-in-this-position Blue Jackets fans. Like, "are we in danger of missing the playoffs?" type articles. "No, ya rubes" I would've said. I was prepared. Thank god it went the other way. Now we've swung back around to "we're for sure winning the whole damn thing." 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, the admiral said:

 

Giving up a first and a prospect for Antoine Vermette was a great trade because we won the Stanley Cup. Giving up a first and a prospect for Andrew Ladd was a terrible trade because we didn't. It's not "a little lofty," it puts you in Cup-or-bust mode, and you'll forgive me if I see the Hawks or Kings bumping these guys off once they get to sink their teeth into Devan Dubnyk for a series. The Coyotes thank you for the 26th pick in the draft, in all likelihood.

So basically what your saying is only the team that wins the cup makes a good trade? 

 

Also, Devin Dubnyk is having a fantastic year, I don't think we'll lose a series because of him. Maybe last year that might have been true. If we're going to lose a series, it's probably because we can't find the back of the net. That's almost always been a problem with this roster. Now I do think they have the ability to go all the way, but losing a series won't be Duuubs fault... It'll be all of a sudden, no one can find the back of the net. But the Wild have shown resilience and depth all year. If the ZKG line isn't scoring, it's Staal's. If not his, then it's Pominville's. If not that line, it's Stewie's and the 4th line. 

 

Now I'm assuming that most of you have not watched the Wild regularly, but this year has been different. We've kept ourselves in games, we've scored timely goals, and we've kept the puck out of the net more often. We're a plus +60 on the year, with about 20 games to play. I don't think it's a fluke at this point... This whole year has felt different then years past. The Wild have something good going on here, so don't count them out already...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can we all stop talking about Dubnyk, please? I think I have PTSD from his Oilers stint.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

EJ Hradek was just on radio here and said that Citi Field would host the Winter Classic and that the Rangers would be involved. Since their lease doesn't let them play a home game outside of MSG, I'm thinking it would be against the Islanders, but that's just a guess.

 

Edit: Apparently Rangers-Sabres is the leading matchup.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, chcarlson23 said:

So basically what your saying is only the team that wins the cup makes a good trade? 

 

No. He's saying that the Wild are going Cup or Bust with this trade and sacrificing a bit of the future. If you're giving up that much, you better win the Cup because of or at least with that player to make the trade ultimately worth it. Otherwise, you gave away a year of prospects.

 

52 minutes ago, chcarlson23 said:

Duuubs... the ZKG line... Stewie...

 

Stop that.

 

52 minutes ago, chcarlson23 said:

Now I'm assuming that most of you have not watched the Wild regularly, but this year has been different. We've kept ourselves in games, we've scored timely goals, and we've kept the puck out of the net more often. We're a plus +60 on the year, with about 20 games to play. I don't think it's a fluke at this point... This whole year has felt different then years past. The Wild have something good going on here, so don't count them out already...

 

No one's saying it's a fluke. We're just saying 1) this is the Wild and 2) more importantly, this is Bruce Boudreau.

 

The Ducks and Capitals did everything in multiple regular seasons you just described about this season's Wild, and with better players, but ultimately all met the same playoff end. And what's the common thread through the Capitals, Ducks, and now Wild? It's Bruce. Regular seasons with Bruce are fun, but don't go expecting the playoffs to be the same carnival.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, chcarlson23 said:

So basically what your saying is only the team that wins the cup makes a good trade?

 

When the trade is an expiring contract for a first-rounder plus an additional asset? Pretty much, yeah. The Hawks could have lost in the first to St. Louis without Andrew Ladd as well as they lost it with him. I think I'd rather have had the draft pick.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Burrows to Ottawa for Jonathan Dahlen (yes, Ulf's kid). 

 

Sad to see Burrows go but it's time for the Canucks to get serious about the rebuild after last year's debacle. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I swear, this Caps season is essentially a dead repeat of last season.  Start off pretty well, second or third in the division, then go absolutely insane in December-January, zoom ahead in the President's Trophy race, and ride that to the PT after a back-and-forth February-March.  The PT means people think they're better than they are, as they've been not super hot the last few weeks of the season they'll scrape by in the first round only to get shellacked again in the second.  

 

i cant wait

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Jordie Benn just got shipped to the Habs for Greg Pateryn and a 4th round pick

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, cmm said:

EJ Hradek was just on radio here and said that Citi Field would host the Winter Classic and that the Rangers would be involved. Since their lease doesn't let them play a home game outside of MSG, I'm thinking it would be against the Islanders, but that's just a guess.

 

Edit: Apparently Rangers-Sabres is the leading matchup.

Sabres playing a "home" game in New York City would be a giant pile of horse crap.  There are SIX other teams (seven including the Rangers) that are closer to New York City in driving distance than the Sabres are.  Have the Capitals, Penguins, or Bruins play a home game at Citi Field... they're all closer to NYC than Buffalo is.  If the Rangers have to do this stupid shell game to have outdoor games, maybe they just shouldn't get to fake host any.  This is like a Power 5 football team buying a home game from a mid-major.  The Sabres' arena was built with taxpayer money, too, so maybe they shouldn't play a home game 300 miles away in service of almighty New York City.  Go eff yourselves, Rangers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pominville and parise are both out due to mumps

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Cosmic said:

Sabres playing a "home" game in New York City would be a giant pile of horse crap.  There are SIX other teams (seven including the Rangers) that are closer to New York City in driving distance than the Sabres are.  Have the Capitals, Penguins, or Bruins play a home game at Citi Field... they're all closer to NYC than Buffalo is.  If the Rangers have to do this stupid shell game to have outdoor games, maybe they just shouldn't get to fake host any.  This is like a Power 5 football team buying a home game from a mid-major.  The Sabres' arena was built with taxpayer money, too, so maybe they shouldn't play a home game 300 miles away in service of almighty New York City.  Go eff yourselves, Rangers.

Nothing's official. Maybe the city and MSG worked something out allowing them to host, or maybe Hradek heard wrong about the site or teams. But if it is Rangers "at" Sabres in Queens...yeah. And how could anyone expect the Barclays people to respect the Islanders if their own league puts a Winter Classic on Long Island and doesn't even invite them?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, cmm said:

Nothing's official. Maybe the city and MSG worked something out allowing them to host, or maybe Hradek heard wrong about the site or teams. But if it is Rangers "at" Sabres in Queens...yeah.

Well, I held back some vitriol because I just don't see it happening.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Minnesota paid the same thing for Hanzal that Washington paid for Shattenkirk. Minnesota, you are dumb, I give you an A+ on being dumb.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Capitals have acquired Kevin Shattenkirk.

 

The Wild have acquired the mumps.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So the Blues are packing it in?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Cosmic said:

So the Blues are packing it in?

 

Packing it in =/= getting some future assets at the deadline for a guy you have 0% chance of resigning

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

With an expansion draft looming, I think this trade deadline is going to be crazy.  Tampa already moved Bishop so they wouldn't have to make that decision in the summer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now