NBA Changes 2017-18

Conrad.

• Replies 7.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, TVIXX said:

Speaking of the Blazers, their new logo has just leaked

image.jpg

Love it. The main thing I was hoping for was the elimination of silver, and this looks like a promising start. I know some fans were clamoring for the pinwheel to be rotated back to its original form, but I'm kind of glad they aren't going that route. I could do without the black outline, but I'm okay with it as long as there isn't any silver to muddle it up. And I like that it's somewhat of a return to the 90-02 logo, where the strokes of the pinwheel don't taper off towards the bottom and top. And having the five strokes come together to form a singlular line in the middle is a nice and subtle tweak. In any case, this is a very promising start, and it looks as though they're striking a balance between simplification and slight modernization with this redesign, which is basically what Chris McGowan, the Blazers' president, said before the season.

IMG_3958.PNG.8e075525e033f7b0d5c6d98481b36f8c.PNGIMG_3959.thumb.JPG.06116d38db76903162a594c23073573d.JPG

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

1 minute ago, tigerslionspistonshabs said:

Nice. Clean update.

Ditto...but I'm still very interested what they might use for secondary and/or tertiary logos.  That's where we could see something totally new.

3 minutes ago, mjd77 said:

Ditto...but I'm still very interested what they might use for secondary and/or tertiary logos.  That's where we could see something totally new.

I'm still expecting something along these lines for a secondary/tertiary logo:

IMG_1171.JPG.b4f3466982cf0ad7ce23d92fca736c7b.JPG

They've quietly introduced it in the last couple of years in their social media and marketing material. It would satisfy the league's requirement of having the suggestion of a basketball in at least one logo, so it wouldn't surprise me if there's something similar in the new set.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

4 minutes ago, gosioux76 said:

Looks like the Blazers released the whole logo update:

http://trailblazerslogo.com/logo/#twentyseventeenSlide

blazersgloballogo.png

The logo is an upgrade for sure. Nice and clean.

Wordmark is kinda blah. The notches look forced and I would have rather seen a modernized version of the 70s font. The way the R and T meet is really bothering me. Probably would have made more sense to use a notch on the A to fill that negative space.

IMG_3964.thumb.PNG.a09efa18bae8854b0da256520ce4d2f4.PNGIMG_3963.PNG.fdd9750e83d2f1417b75c346763a4b30.PNGIMG_3962.PNG.b62e96308b7dfff1a62a47defcb92f4a.PNG

The new "Portland" wordmark is a really clean update to the current. It's basically a fusion between the wordmarks on their regular home and road jerseys and the wordmark on their red alts.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

Are they really using that "Trail Blazers" mark?  That font is very Nike and about as far away from anything team-related we've seen.

The "Portland" mark is a nearly-identical font to the Nuggets' jersey wordmarks.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

1 minute ago, Hoopladawg87 said:

The new pinwheel logo is a nice, subtle upgrade, though now I can't unsee it as a pokéball. 

The new 'PORTLAND' font is a nice, subtle disaster.

The new 'TRAIL BLAZERS' font is perplexingly blocky.

Luckily there will almost undoubtedly be a "BLAZERS" wordmark that matches the "PORTLAND" one for use on the uniforms, court, etc. I don't think the new wordmark is bad at all, I think it's a really nice fusion of their current wordmark and the version they introduced for the red alt a few years back.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

Just now, upperV03 said:

Luckily there will almost undoubtedly be a "BLAZERS" wordmark that matches the "PORTLAND" one for use on the uniforms, court, etc. I don't think the new wordmark is bad at all, I think it's a really nice fusion of their current wordmark and the version they introduced for the red alt a few years back.

A 'BLAZERS' script to match would make sense, though the inconsistency of that font irks me -- specifically the random notches on the 'P' and especially the 'T' as it fits with the 'R' before it. Their current (now former, I guess) script was at least consistent with the notches and the italicization helped mend some awkward fits. Not the worst font in the world, but I think it could be greatly improved upon.

34 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

Are they really using that "Trail Blazers" mark?  That font is very Nike and about as far away from anything team-related we've seen.

The "Portland" mark is a nearly-identical font to the Nuggets' jersey wordmarks.

They've been using that font for the last year in their social media graphics, promotional material, in-arena videos and signage, etc. I'd say it'll likely be used in those same applications going forward, and the new "PORTLAND" wordmark, along with a matching "BLAZERS" version, or even a "TRAIL BLAZERS" version, will be what's used on all of the the uniforms and the court. 

And speaking of the uniforms, Casey Holdahl, the team's official beat reporter, just said on Twitter that the uniforms will be released in "late summer".

Here's some of the marketing speak behind the new logos, for those who don't want to go to their release site:

IMG_3966.thumb.PNG.832e313b1b0c8e11ed4e9a688cc8821c.PNGIMG_3967.thumb.PNG.1764d415f58186d402dd6c5e6348e1a1.PNGIMG_3968.thumb.PNG.4bfa20f639cd4669cad0d9c907a4ccac.PNGIMG_3969.thumb.PNG.3f664838aff8a5b5ad14ad737aa8cd2a.PNGIMG_3970.thumb.PNG.1e892dc1f8a5fbd8a6805e1adbfb6fa9.PNGIMG_3971.thumb.PNG.5a53a48c980f1311990fda0754455f15.PNG

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

That 'BLAZERS' script looks better than I expected, probably entirely because the notch is just on the initial 'B' -- I guess I'd like the 'PORTLAND' script sans the 'T' notch.

I'm excited to see what they do with that color palette, and specifically the supporting colors....as simple and clean as the updated logo is, I fully expect Nike to implement more artistic elements, patterns, textures, etc., and that could very well go one of two ways. We'll see! 

8 minutes ago, Hoopladawg87 said:

That 'BLAZERS' script looks better than I expected, probably entirely because the notch is just on the initial 'B' -- I guess I'd like the 'PORTLAND' script sans the 'T' notch.

I'm excited to see what they do with that color palette, and specifically the supporting colors....as simple and clean as the updated logo is, I fully expect Nike to implement more artistic elements, patterns, textures, etc., and that could very well go one of two ways. We'll see! 

I really hope to God not. Just return to the Drexler era uniforms, simple red black and white. No need for anything else color or design-wise.

Archived