2017 NASCAR Season Thread

rvrdgsfn

I'm happy for Newman, and the ending was exciting. Newman is hard to get around, but I think Larson would've won had he not gotten into Stenhouse. Larson's spotter tried to get him on the bottom as quickly as he could but the gap closed faster than expected, but there fortunately wasn't a wreck. Despite the heartbreakers, Larson is still first in points which is cool to see. 

Also, I'm now first in the www.reddit.com/r/nascar Yahoo Fantasy group!

• Replies 598
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Results from California

1. Larson

2. Keselowski

3. Bowyer

4. Truex Jr.

5. Logano

6. McMurray

7. Suarez

8. Kyle Busch

9. Blaney

10. Elliott

Stage 1 winner: Larson

Stage 2 winner: Truex Jr.

Larson drove like there was no tomorrow, especially with the last couple of cautions during the final stage. Bowyer showed some promise & Kes coming back from the early string of bad luck & finish 2nd shows the type of driver/team he has. Larson is no longer the bridesmaid, finally getting that victory & the weekend sweep. Well done kid.

Next up, Martinsville & I'm real curious to see how the stages will go here.

baltimoreravens.png

You know, I was a Biffle fan before he kinda-retired... [pauses for the laughter to stop] ...and I picked up Larson over the offseason. Huh, that worked well for me.

But that race was really a dud. It was either Larson or Truex leading (with the small Chase and Kyle Busch times), and a pretty uneventful finish. Also, man, Kenseth had a hard lick there. The safety advancements the sport has made since Dale Sr's death has been incredible.

ExJworW.png

AJ had a kind of meh performance again. Although finished in the mid teens was certainly better then the past few weeks where he was mired in the 20-somethings...

Onto the Paperclip. The first track I feel AJ has a shot at winning. Almost spoiled the party last year; finishing 2nd in the Spring race...

But still; wake me up when they get to Sonoma...

(I like AJ; but he's just SO pedestrian on any track 1.5 miles longer that ISN'T a restrictor plate or road course...)

spacer.png

84p0o3A.png

Whoops.  The ratings slide continues.

http://awfulannouncing.com/racing/nascar-ratings-getting-even-worse-season.html

Here’s the race by race statistics thanks to numbers from our friend Paulsen at Sports Media Watch. The big picture is that NASCAR is staring at another season of serious declines.

Atlanta – 3.8 rating, 6.6 million viewers, down 7% and 3% versus last year. Lowest rating since 1998 for race after Daytona 500.

Las Vegas – 3.6 rating, 6.0 million viewers, down 18% and 17% versus last year. Lowest ratings for the race since joining the circuit in 1998.

Phoenix – 3.3. rating, 5.4 million viewers, down 18% and 19% versus last year. Fourth lowest rated NASCAR race on Fox ever.

California – 2.9 overnight rating, down 17% versus last year

Results from Martinsville:

1.Keselowski

2. Kyle Busch

3. Elliott

4. Logano

5. A.Dillon

6. Allmendinger

7. Bowyer

8. Newman

9. Kenseth

10. Stenhouse Jr.

Stage 1 winner: Truex Jr.

Stage 2 winner: Elliott

A lot of bumping & banging today at the paperclip. Ford hasn't won here since '02 & a lot of cars were racing hard today. It was a true Martinsville race.

Next up, Texas with some new pavement.

baltimoreravens.png

Beginning to look a lot like Ford has taken over for Toyota as far as domination goes. The addition of SHR has turned out to be huge for that camp, as Penske was strong before. Ford hasn't won NASCAR Manufacturers' Championship since '02 so this could be the year they break that streak.

JTG-Daughtery Racing almost double bagged two Top 10s as Buescher just narrowly lost out to Stenhouse for 10th.

I hope AJ can build off this momentum, otherwise it's going to be a long two months until they wind their way through the track at Sonoma...

spacer.png

84p0o3A.png

Results from Texas:

1. Johnson

2. Larson

3. Logano

4. Harvick

5. Earnhardt Jr.

6. Keselowski

7. McMurray

8. Truex Jr.

9. Elliott

10. Kurt Busch

Stage's 1 & 2 winner: Blaney

Talk about heartbreak for Ryan Blaney, had a dominant car until the final stage. Larson had a 5th 2nd place finish, he's looking pretty strong. The Hendrick & Ganassi cars looked really strong today. Jimmie gets out of the slump.

Next up, It's Bristol Baby!

baltimoreravens.png

I'm liking the stage racing more and more every week, however, I hate that the 48 won the race. They spent all of the  pre-race talking how he has had terrible runs this season, and then he won the race. ugh... 

The key to Jimmie winning: Go start in the back.  

The key to Junior doing well: Don't qualify.

I hate 1.5 mile tracks, usually they are not conducive to good racing.  Give the Texas crew credit, they worked on getting a second groove into the corners, though only turns 3 and 4 had a second.  

tumblr_nulnnz7RCV1r5jqq2o1_250.jpg

Oh what could have been....

To celebrate the 25th anniversary of "One Hot Night", this year's All-Star Race is pretty much identical to the format used back in 1992. There will be 10 drivers racing for that cool million; and Stage winners can get an automatic berth in the Final Dash. Provided they stay on the lead lap after they win a Stage until the Final Stage.

spacer.png

84p0o3A.png

• 2 weeks later...

Results from Bristol:

1. Johnson

2. Bowyer

3. Harvick

4. Kenseth

5. Logano

6. Larson

7. Elliott

8. Truex Jr.

9. Stenhouse Jr.

10. Hamlin

Stage 1 winner: Larson

Stage 2 winner: Truex Jr.

Both stage winners got busted for speeding in the pits but they did recover to get back in the top 10. Johnson gets his 82nd win, Bowyer came out of nowhere. Rough day for the Busch brothers & Little E & Erik Jones. Jimmie on a 2 race winning streak.

Next up, my hometown track, Richmond!

baltimoreravens.png

4 spectacular drivers gone from NASCAR in a 3 year span... Gordon, Stewart, Edwards, and now Dale Jr. Here's to hoping he has even more overwhelming success as a team owner.

I've been reading posts by people saying now NASCAR will hand the championship to Jr. Hell no. That's not going to happen. Where was it for Gordon and Stewart? Can't say much for Edwards as his retirement was a surprise, but he did come extremely close last year.

Now begins the process of which driver I want to start following. Chase Elliott, Kyle Larson, Ryan Blaney? 

Archived