Local TV station logos

66 posts in this topic

14 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

I grew up with rabbit ears and separate dials for UHF, so I guess I'm an oldtimer too.  "That's the way it's always been" is usually not a good reason to keep doing something.  Of course the affiliates refer to themselves using the numbers - at least for now, that's part of their brand.  I guess they're stlil broadcast on those numbers on OTA HD, so the FCC probably assigns them.

It's reasonable to assume that there's a time in the near future where they'll be obsolete, and they'll just go by "NBC Baltimore" or something like that.

Both true statements . . . with one caveat.

In the event of any future affiliate switches, not having the numbers may cause more confusion.  Suddenly, NBC Baltimore is at a different place on the dial with a different local news team and ABC Baltimore is in the old NBC Baltimore spot.

Right, but here's how it is now (I'm just making up the numbers)

NBC Baltimore

OTA = Channel 11

Comcast SD = 403

Comcast HD = 803

Dish = 1325

Streaming Services (Sling, VUE, YouTube TV, etc.) = no channel at all, just an icon to click on.

So even updating the number from NBC11 to NBC15 won't really help.

On 7/13/2017 at 4:40 PM, BringBackTheVet said:

It's reasonable to assume that there's a time in the near future where they'll be obsolete, and they'll just go by "NBC Baltimore" or something like that.

I believe this is happening with the new "NBC Boston" that lives on a low-power subchannel or something because NBC dropped their original affiliate.

Chicagoans seem pretty set in their ways in referring to over-the-air stations by channel number. WGN and "channel 9" are used interchangeably. Channel 32 went by "Fox Chicago" for years but finally went back to "Fox 32" which everyone had been calling it anyway.

1 person likes this

Yeah Fox here tried "My Fox Philly" for a while, breaking away from most references to the number, then threw up the white flag and went back to Fox 29.

For my generation, and maybe the next, it seems normal and we understand why it's like that, but to the generations after that, it must make no sense since those numbers have no meaning.

I'm not sure what the branding solution is here, but it'll be really interesting to see how these stations refer to themselves in 10-20 years.

3 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

For my generation, and maybe the next, it seems normal and we understand why it's like that, but to the generations after that, it must make no sense since those numbers have no meaning.

Is it possible that cord-cutting will have the opposite effect? If you have a digital antenna to supplement your streaming, channel 5 goes back to being channel 5 -- or 5.1, whatever. 

If anything is facing down meaninglessness in local television, it's local newscasts. Even now they mostly seem to exist for certain meteorologists to remind men of a certain age what boners feel like.

Patrick Sharp is 35 years old.

Anyway, looking to the past, whether by coincidence or by planning, WPWR-TV 50 in Gary/Chicago ended up being Channel 8 on basically every provider in the city and suburbs. For several years, their print ads had "CABLE 8" printed under the station logo. If that was planning on their part, hats off to them on being as forward-thinking as they were when they sold the station to Fox for an obscene amount of money (EDIT: $425 million!) so Fox could have an O&O for its "myNetwork" failure.

Since all the network stations here are O&O, the logos are pretty standard. So instead, let me take you to WSAW-TV out of Wausau, Wisconsin. The station originally operated out of a mansion that was very castle-like in appearance. So they used an Old English "7" for their logo, often accompanied by a knight named Sir Seven. He's made some scattered reappearances here and there in the past few years.

sir7.jpg

golf300250.jpg