Sign in to follow this  
dfwabel

2017-18 NCAA Football Thread

Recommended Posts

B-Rich    229
On ‎6‎/‎7‎/‎2017 at 3:03 PM, dfwabel said:

We're less than 100 days away from the Week 0 games and might as well start it now with the news that Bob Stoops is retiring from Oklahoma effective immediately with OC Lincoln Riley, age 33, taking over.

 

Yep.  Confirmed by ESPN and everybody.

 

Well, just like that, the list of national championship coaches that are STILL coaching is now down to only FOUR:

 

  1. Nick Saban, Alabama (2015, 2012, 2011, 2009)(2003- LSU)
  2. Urban Meyer, OhioState (2006, 2008- Florida) (2014- Ohio State)
  3. Jimbo Fisher, Florida State (2013)
  4. Dabo Swinney, Clemson (2016)

Of course, Les Miles (2007) could still come back somewhere for next season.  I'm surprised he didn't wind up somewhere else THIS season, actually.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
stumpygremlin    133
18 hours ago, B-Rich said:

 

Yep.  Confirmed by ESPN and everybody.

 

Well, just like that, the list of national championship coaches that are STILL coaching is now down to only FOUR:

 

  1. Nick Saban, Alabama (2015, 2012, 2011, 2009)(2003- LSU)
  2. Urban Meyer, OhioState (2006, 2008- Florida) (2014- OhioState)
  3. Jimbo Fisher, Florida State (2013)
  4. Dabo Swinney, Clemson (2016)

Of course, Les Miles (2007) could still come back somewhere for next season.  I'm surprised he didn't wind up somewhere else THIS season, actually.

 

I legit misremembered Butch Davis, who's coaching FIU this year. I thought he'd won one national title, but he didn't. UM only won one title in the late 90s/early 00s, and that was with Larry Coker as coach.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
MJWalker45    984
10 hours ago, stumpygremlin said:

I legit misremembered Butch Davis, who's coaching FIU this year. I thought he'd won one national title, but he didn't. UM only won one title in the late 90s/early 00s, and that was with Larry Coker as coach.

Butch was on Jimmy Johnson's staff for all of his, but none as head coach. Heck, I forgot he was coaching again! This is the first time Oklahoma and Texas are breaking in new coaches since 1947. I wonder if it's a case of, "Give Riley the job now or risk losing him next year".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
dfwabel    984
5 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

Butch was on Jimmy Johnson's staff for all of his, but none as head coach. Heck, I forgot he was coaching again! This is the first time Oklahoma and Texas are breaking in new coaches since 1947. I wonder if it's a case of, "Give Riley the job now or risk losing him next year".

OU hasn't been afraid to hire young.

 

Switzer was just 35 and Stoops was 38; neither had been a HC prior.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
MJWalker45    984

At least he's been there a couple years. That'll make it a little easier to transition on short notice. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
dfwabel    984
1 minute ago, MJWalker45 said:

At least he's been there a couple years. That'll make it a little easier to transition on short notice. 

They were young with the two before Switzer. Mackenzie was hired at 35 (died at 37); Fairbanks took over at 33.

 

After Barry, Gary Gibbs was was 36.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
HedleyLamarr    1,307

No wonder Georgia is selling single season tickets for $300 this season.....the home slate sucks.  The best opponent is South Carolina.  The rest of the home games are Appalachian State, Samford, Missouri, Mississippi State, and Kentucky.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
dfwabel    984
On 06/09/2017 at 4:33 PM, HedleyLamarr said:

No wonder Georgia is selling single season tickets for $300 this season.....the home slate sucks.  The best opponent is South Carolina.  The rest of the home games are Appalachian State, Samford, Missouri, Mississippi State, and Kentucky.

What's the seat license fee, if any?

Don't worry, next year UGA will pay $1.7M to host Middle Tennessee, $1.5M for UMass and $500K for Austin Peay.

 

 

There's a couple of secondary issue with charters too.

1- If the school is at or near a smaller aka regional airport, that plane arrives on Friday empty and leaves on Saturday night/Sunday also empty since a bigger jet does not fly in that often. That's zero revenue and a waste of crew hours.

 

2- The jets themselves. Both NFL and NCAA football teams prefer to fly the Boeing 767 (wide body) and 757 (narrow body version). The 757 has been out of production for a decade and the 767 is now only built for military, Amazon and FedEx. The big US airlines are retiring both the 757 and 767 by 2019.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
dfwabel    984

http://www.kansas.com/sports/college/big-12/kansas-state/article161124013.html

 

Quote

The room fell silent when Kansas State offensive lineman Scott Frantz told his teammates he was gay last year.

But only for a moment.

Once K-State football players processed the personal secret Frantz had shared with them in a players-only meeting designed to help them bond before the start of the 2016 season, the room filled with cheers and words of support.

“I distinctly remember the guy I was sitting next to, Steven West, standing up and telling him, ‘No one cares. You are still Scott to us,’” former K-State receiver Deante Burton said. “Then we all kind of started telling him the same thing, that it doesn’t change who you are or how we see you. That was the instant feeling we all got.”

“It’s a decision and it doesn’t bother me none. At the end of the day, you are still Scott. You are still our brother, you still bleed and sweat and cry with us. It doesn’t change who you are or how we see you. I think that is what made it such a good thing for him and for all of us.”

Frantz, K-State’s sophomore starting left tackle, took things a step further when he came out on national television in an interview with ESPN on Thursday. He went public with the personal information on a morning edition of “SportsCenter” in order to help “all the other kids who are just like me.”

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
HedleyLamarr    1,307
3 hours ago, dfwabel said:

And none other than former Ole Miss head coach Houston Nutt getting his revenge on his former employer.  Mississippi wouldn't apologize to Nutt, so he slaps them with a lawsuit, and Nutt's team unveils Freeze's phone records, which include a call made to an escort service.

 

The good ol' days of the SEC are back!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Red Wolf    646

More than ever, I'm glad Freeze was only at A-State for just one year as head coach. He got us a conference title, started the program's upward swing and got the hell out of here. 

 

Interesting to note that I'm pretty sure that Freeze could have redacted that number, and we may have had to wait until the end of the season for him to be canned. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Seadragon76    303

Wow... SEC Coaches sure can hold one hell of a grudge.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
dfwabel    984
44 minutes ago, HedleyLamarr said:

And none other than former Ole Miss head coach Houston Nutt getting his revenge on his former employer.  Mississippi wouldn't apologize to Nutt, so he slaps them with a lawsuit, and Nutt's team unveils Freeze's phone records, which include a call made to an escort service.

 

The good ol' days of the SEC are back!

And the Ole Miss chancellor is Jeffrey Vitter, whose brother, former Louisiana U.S. Senator, David Vitter also used hookers and was part of the DC Madam scandal!

 

http://www.theadvocate.com/baton_rouge/news/politics/elections/article_e0860489-1ffa-593d-ba67-bf46e287c02f.html

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
dfwabel    984
9 minutes ago, Red Wolf said:

More than ever, I'm glad Freeze was only at A-State for just one year as head coach. He got us a conference title, started the program's upward swing and got the hell out of here. 

 

Interesting to note that I'm pretty sure that Freeze could have redacted that number, and we may have had to wait until the end of the season for him to be canned. 

 

https://sports.yahoo.com/hugh-freeze-resigns-ole-miss-school-discovered-call-escort-service-234821463.html

 

Quote

Yahoo Sports obtained Freeze’s phone records from Mars, whose client is suing Ole Miss for breach of contract. The call lasted only one minute, raising the possibility that it was a wrong number.

Freeze said he had the opportunity to redact numbers from his phone logs after a freedom of information request was made by Mars for his cell record. He said if there were anything nefarious about the call, he would have redacted it.

“If I was trying to hide something, I would have,” Freeze said. “That call shows up nowhere else on my records. There is no story to that one.”

Bjork told Yahoo on Friday that after receiving the information from Mars, the school had pulled records of Freeze’s cell calls and plowed through 39,000 calls without finding another instance of a call to the 313 number. However, the school kept digging through the records and must have found additional troubling information.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
BlackBolt3    1,116

Ole Miss has been one of, if not the most intriguing team in recent college football history. Rose from not much to having the #1 recruiting class, got the golden ticket, not once, but twice in beating Alabama in the regular season, and then proceeded to do absolutely nothing with it. They didn't even win their division! Not to mention the constant shenanigans and accusations of NCAA violations, and of course this whole thing comes tumbling down because their former coach wanted to feel vindicated and decided to sue the school. Wild is an understatement.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
dfwabel    984
21 minutes ago, BlackBolt3 said:

Ole Miss has been one of, if not the most intriguing team in recent college football history. Rose from not much to having the #1 recruiting class, got the golden ticket, not once, but twice in beating Alabama in the regular season, and then proceeded to do absolutely nothing with it. They didn't even win their division! Not to mention the constant shenanigans and accusations of NCAA violations, and of course this whole thing comes tumbling down because their former coach wanted to feel vindicated and decided to sue the school. Wild is an understatement.

But for the last 50 years, they can only be good (8+ wins) if...

 

A. The QB is a member of the Manning Family.

 

B. They overtly cheat.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this