Gothamite

North American Pro Soccer 2018

7 hours ago, Gothamite said:

There’s a lot to love about Portland.  A real soccer city, drove their baseball team out of town to boost the Timbers.  The organization has been around for a long time, and is widely seen as having worked their way up to MLS. 

As @Ferdinand Cesarano indicates, even NASL partisans have something to celebrate there with Savarese as coach.

I can totally see soccer fans without a rooting interest choosing to get behind the Timbers. 

5 hours ago, Camden Crazy said:

Kinda where I am at with them (and ATL, really).  I guess I’m technically an NYCFC fan because I am a Man City fan, but I’m also an Orioles fan so the Yankees partnership and playing in their stadium kinda ruins it for me.  I guess you could say my fandom is on ice until they get their own place to play.

Portland seems like a dope city and they play in a unique venue with a great crowd/atmosphere.  

Yeah, I get that, not least because a Portland match was the first non-local MLS game I ever went to while on vacation! Their stadium is a real gem even before you get into the fandom aspect; all the nice new stadiums are great but the historic charm of whatever they call it now in Portland is really different for American soccer and it's super cool. It's like the Fenway of soccer.

(I do think the "hip white young professional" demographic of MLS fans are in play here, with Portland as their mecca, but yeah I get it!)

(Also it’s indeed a dope city in the fact that people pass out overdosed while waiting at res lights, hey-o)

Louisville City FC and former Orlando City FC owner died in a plane crash today. 

https://deadspin.com/usl-and-former-mls-owner-dies-in-small-plane-crash-1830782564

4 hours ago, BigRed618 said:

I just got word that the St. Louis board of aldermen approved the tax-incentive plan for the soccer stadium. Now all we need to do left is come up with a good stadium plan and then wait for the commish to give the good news, probably sometime during the MLS Cup final.

To be precise, the St. Louis Board of Aldermen voted in favor of a non-binding resolution that outlines the tax incentives that the investor/operators of a proposed St. Louis-based MLS expansion team say would be necessary in order to make the privately-financed construction of a soccer-specific stadium viable. The approval of said resolution is just the first step in a process that will require the proposed team's investor/operators and the Board of Aldermen to hammer out the details of a lease. If that is successfully accomplished, the aldermen must then pass the binding city statutes that would legally provide the tax incentives the investor/operators are seeking.

24th Ward Alderman Scott Ogilvie said before the resolution was taken up, "I will enthusiastically vote yes. But, I will remind everyone that our work is not done making sure that this is a good and fair lease."

Alderman Jack Coatar of the city's 7th Ward later added, "This is by no means a done deal. All we're doing today is showing our support." 

Perhaps most importantly, St. Louis Mayor Lyda Krewson has said that the statutes required to establish the tax incentives would be voted on by the Board of Aldermen after Major League Soccer awards the city a team.   

I could be wrong, but I'm not expecting Don Garber to be making a hard-and-fast, guaranteed announcement about the awarding of a Major League Soccer expansion team to St. Louis at MLS Cup 2019.  What I could see in the wake of today's vote is Garber speaking to the fact that today's resolution has provided both him and the members of the MLS Board of Governors with a great deal of enthusiasm regarding the possibility of the proposed investor/operators and city officials successfully completing the negotiation of a stadium lease and the Board of Aldermen passing laws authorizing incentives to support stadium construction. I suspect that he'd then go on to say that as  a result of said enthusiasm, MLS officials will be keeping a close watch on developments in St. Louis, with the expectation being that the league would love to award an expansion team to the city just as soon as the all of the details are hammered out.             

If the Timbers win the cup, the Trailblazers may need to consider relocation..... kidding, but I've mentioned before Portland is the only city in the North American sports scene where an MLS club can usurp a long established big 4 franchise as the city's number 1 team.

Better get good quick Blazers lol

46 minutes ago, 4_tattoos said:

If the Timbers win the cup, the Trailblazers may need to consider relocation..... kidding, but I've mentioned before Portland is the only city in the North American sports scene where an MLS club can usurp a long established big 4 franchise as the city's number 1 team.

Better get good quick Blazers lol

The Magic aren’t quite “long established”, but I’d say that Orlando City has already overtaken them in popularity. 

A lot of people here in Cincinnati have dumped their season tickets for the Bengals or Reds in favor of FC Cincinnati. Mostly out of them being tired of poor ownership and constant losing and disappointment. FCC has been quite the breathe of fresh air this city has needed.

1 hour ago, Magic Dynasty said:

The Magic aren’t quite “long established”, but I’d say that Orlando City has already overtaken them in popularity. 

The Magic is closing in on 30 years of existence. They're long established in my book. I mean the franchise was technically born in the 80's lol.

15 hours ago, Magic Dynasty said:

How are you measuring popularity there?  If you can quantify it then I’d say the example qualifies. 

33 minutes ago, dfwabel said:

Gregg Berhalter..... okay, I guess.

This has been an open secret since October. Hopefully the Crew find a new coach that can keep the team moving forward. Not having to deal with crappier than most ownership should help though.

Who wants to go to Quatar anyway? 

3 hours ago, Bucfan56 said:

Who wants to go to Quatar anyway? 

At this rate? Copa Libertadores

According to The Athletic's Jeff Reuter (paywall alert), MNUFC has been working out former Premier League and Bayern Munich midfielder Jan Kirchhoff (currently a free agent), and could sign him as soon as the week after MLS Cup.

If that happens, Kirchhoff would instantly become the best #6 the Loons have had, and apparently his skill set applies to center-back as well. The only red flag is his injury history, though he's managed to stay healthy for over a year and he's still fairly young (28). He'd be a high-upside and relatively inexpensive add to the club and make its back half considerably stronger (especially if they can also land a dedicated #6 for more roster flexibility).

On 11/30/2018 at 11:25 PM, Dilbert said:

A lot of people here in Cincinnati have dumped their season tickets for the Bengals or Reds in favor of FC Cincinnati. Mostly out of them being tired of poor ownership and constant losing and disappointment. FCC has been quite the breathe of fresh air this city has needed.

The Reds and Bengals have been a joke for a long time. The only team I have followed for the past 10 years is the Cyclones. I welcome the FCC. Should be fun!

On 11/30/2018 at 11:25 PM, Dilbert said:

1 hour ago, sohiosportsfreak said:

The Reds and Bengals have been a joke for a long time. The only team I have followed for the past 10 years is the Cyclones. I welcome the FCC. Should be fun!

I think a non-insignificant factor in FCC's success has been due in part to the fact that they were finally a pro sports option that hasn't let the fans down countless times like the Bengals and Reds. The timing was huge. They show up the spring after one of the most devastating postseason losses in NFL history and during one of the least competitive and uninteresting stretches of Reds baseball ever and people went "hey a team in town that isn't actively trying to make me angry". 

I know I've passed up going to Reds games to go watch FCC and I never would've thought that even 5 years ago. 

28 minutes ago, McCarthy said:

I think a non-insignificant factor in FCC's success has been due in part to the fact that they were finally a pro sports option that hasn't let the fans down countless times like the Bengals and Reds. The timing was huge. They show up the spring after one of the most devastating postseason losses in NFL history and during one of the least competitive and uninteresting stretches of Reds baseball ever and people went "hey a team in town that isn't actively trying to make me angry".

Hope the city doesn’t turn on them when they inevitably struggle in MLS, be it their inaugural season or down the road. The level of their competition is about to go way, way up. 

1 minute ago, Gothamite said:

Hope the city doesn’t turn on them when they inevitably struggle in MLS, be it their inaugural season or down the road. The level of their competition is about to go way, way up. 

It's not just that the Bengals and Reds lose, because they do, it's that they lose while the front offices seemingly go out of their way to avoid winning, go out of their way to make moves completely counter to the fanbases' wishes. Example: If Mike Brown was actively trying to avoid selling tickets there's nothing he could've done better than re-sign Marvin Lewis last offseason. I think people would only turn on FC C if losing started to pile up due to a lack of common sense management.

What was so refreshing with FC Cincinnati, right off the bat, was the team demonstrated competent management and made fans feel like they had their best interests in mind. I don't get that feeling with the Reds or Bengals. The Reds give me the feeling that they're trying, but don't know what they're doing, and the Bengals give me the feeling that they literally hate me and that I'm a nuisance in their stadium. 

39 minutes ago, McCarthy said:

if losing started to pile up due to a lack of common sense management.

That’s a familiar predicament.

I just hope that FCC is the one of the two expansion buddies that does good, and Miami or Nashville (whichever one is considered Cincinnati’s “expansion partner”) is the one that does bad. Unless LAFC is counted as their expansion partner. Then, well, my condolences.

(Seriously though, the last few expansions have featured a team that instantly dominates - NYCFC, Atlanta, and LAFC - and one that never fails to make fans cringe when they watch/talk about them - Orlando, Minnesota, and [insert whoever is considered LAFC’s partner]. Why is that?)

1 hour ago, Magic Dynasty said:

I just hope that FCC is the one of the two expansion buddies that does good, and Miami or Nashville (whichever one is considered Cincinnati’s “expansion partner”) is the one that does bad. Unless LAFC is counted as their expansion partner. Then, well, my condolences.

(Seriously though, the last few expansions have featured a team that instantly dominates - NYCFC, Atlanta, and LAFC - and one that never fails to make fans cringe when they watch/talk about them - Orlando, Minnesota, and [insert whoever is considered LAFC’s partner]. Why is that?)

Orlando's issue is it's fans, who had a bad reputation before they moved up to MLS. The bad decisions in the front office have helped make them the bane of other teams' existence as well. 

2 hours ago, Magic Dynasty said:

Orlando City beat NYCFC in the standings that first season if I recall correctly, even if both were midtable; the cringeyness came later. Plus they did get a stadium together right quick, which is a win in some ways.