"Bad Design" that actually works

WavePunter

4 hours ago, Ice_Cap said:

Can anyone provide me with a reason why I shouldn’t merge this with “Unpopular Opinions”?

Most of these examples have nothing to do with "bad design", just unusual, or containing design elements (such as piping) that might be "unpopular", but are by no means "bad design" in and of themselves.

It will eventually turn into a contest of posting obscure ugly jerseys and claiming that they were classics.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

5 hours ago, Ice_Cap said:

Can anyone provide me with a reason why I shouldn’t merge this with “Unpopular Opinions”?

Because it's kind of the opposite of unpopular opinions.. It's where the popular opinion of disliking something still holds true, but with a single exception.. Such as Falcons' piping, 97-13 Bucs double-outlines and addition of black, Showtime Lakers' drop-shadows, etc..

Just examples that are commonly praised and widely popular, despite having "unpopular" elements..

I think I get the idea of this thread.

Most people here dismiss uniforms that are BFBS but I would say the Knicks 2000s set are an exception. They made black work for their set and I would say most people liked it.

Related imageImage result for knicks 2012

XM4KeeA.png

I'm surprised this hasn't been posted yet. I feel like the inaugural set for the Magic embodies poor design elements coming together as a universally loved uniform. Any individual element (pinstripes, wordmark, number font, oversized stars, and even color scheme to a point) doesn't seem like it would work on it's own. But together? Absolutely classic. 15256c_med.jpeg

9 hours ago, Ice_Cap said:

@oldschoolvikings's post: the Dodgers and the Giants. I think liking both uniforms is the popular opinion, but they both do things that we would rag on other teams for trying. That's what the thread should be... whether or not we actually fly into unpopular opinions territory is another matter.

Here's another good example (I think)... adding black to the Lions.

USATSI_9503773_168381750_lowres-e1487264

11 hours ago, Cosmic said:

@oldschoolvikings's post: the Dodgers and the Giants. I think liking both uniforms is the popular opinion, but they both do things that we would rag on other teams for trying. That's what the thread should be... whether or not we actually fly into unpopular opinions territory is another matter.

It did work. Wasn't a bad or improper addition. And strangely I like their helmets with both the thin middle stripes and the fatter middle stripes

I just think the Lions fanbase was resistant to the black which spurred the change to what they have now. But the above is a-ok by me. 

3 hours ago, joey joe joe jr. shabadoo said:

It did work. Wasn't a bad or improper addition. And strangely I like their helmets with both the thin middle stripes and the fatter middle stripes

I just think the Lions fanbase was resistant to the black which spurred the change to what they have now. But the above is a-ok by me. 

Small amounts of black worked. Large did not. As far as the stripe goes...the thinness of it drove me crazy, but one time I saw a concept where the facemask had a matching thin stripe and I thought that was super cool. So, I dunno. 

I do like that they used some white in those designs. I feel like there's not enough in their current look. And for what it's worth, I'm not a Lions fan, but I've always liked Honolulu blue and silver together.

On 8/11/2018 at 1:34 AM, Cosmic said:

His sleeve is missing a black stripe. 

XM4KeeA.png

On 8/11/2018 at 8:02 AM, ColeJ said:

Blue Jackets original alternate uniforms mixed navy and black, which is a just bad design.... but it worked, somehow.

I think this is very debatable. Black and dark blue can work very well together in capable hands, and there is deep historical precedent for it being a fashion staple in the U.S. (tuxedos, business suits, etc.)

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

Archived