MLS Kits 2019

WarriorFight

1 hour ago, upperV03 said:

This shouldn’t come as a surprise to anyone here, as it’s exactly what Minnesota had with their inaugural MLS kits. If I remember correctly, MNUFC sold both authentic and replica versions of their inaugural shirts, but the only difference between them was that the authentic had the MLS badges on both sleeves while the replica only had the MLS badge on the right sleeve. The player-issued kits still featured the replica kit technology because they were both miTeam designs. The same is true now for Cincy, except their away shirt is a basic teamwear shirt instead of a miTeam design. 

Nope, Minnesota only sold authentics. There were no replica versions.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, upperV03 said:

Here’s a really insightful thread on the kit design and manufacturing process which helps explain why this is the case:

I appreciate the transparency but I don't think that this user tells us anything that the demographic of this board doesn't already know. And even to the normies this feels like a bit of a copout; Nike's grunge city series, for example, is a very conscious choice on Nike's behalf and I feel like this thread is trying to dress that up as a measure of efficiency.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

34 minutes ago, PaleVermilion81 said:

They were “authentic” in the sense that they were worn on-field, but certainly of replica quality and not adidas’ top tier offering. They featured an old teamwear template with sewn adidas logos versus printed, basic materials versus the adizero mesh back panels, the same crest application as Cincinnati versus plastic heat transferred crest, among other things. Minnesota did a better job than Cincinnati, in my opinion, but both were teamwear patchwork jobs unlike the typical adidas creation process.

50 minutes ago, PaleVermilion81 said:

Well at the very least the youth versions were considered replicas, and only featured the MLS badge on the right sleeve. Here’s the youth “replica” version of the inaugural home shirt, without the MLS badge on the left sleeve:

zRo0Cza.jpg

And here’s the men’s version, with the MLS badge on the left sleeve:

n5A1KkD.jpg

Aside from that detail, they were the exact same. 

I guess my original point though was that the player-issued versions of MNUFC’s inaugural MLS kits featured Adidas’ replica kit technology, as opposed to the authentic kit technology (for example, they had the embroidered Adidas logo, the sewn-on Adidas stripes, no ventilation on the back, etc.). So even though they listed the fan versions as “authentic” (except for the youth and little kid versions), they were still essentially replica versions because they were without the typical bells and whistles of the authentic kits.

Edit- Didn’t see aawagner011’s post above explaining this same thing.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

7 minutes ago, aawagner011 said:

Looks like Dallas leaked a couple hours early. This all white trend is truly becoming an epidemic. At least try to do some bit of design. Anything!

See, I actually think this looks pretty nice -- well, at least toward the top. Amazing what a little two-color trim in team colors can do. 

That said, teams need to stop making a big show about kit reveals if minimally-design white or black ones are all we're gonna get.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

Interesting note here regarding Cincinnati:

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/soccer/fc-cincinnati/2019/02/12/making-fc-cincinnatis-first-primary-mls-kit/2844535002/

The two FC Cincinnati jerseys unveiled Monday night are for the 2019 MLS season only. 

"What you're looking at right here will be the home and away kit for 2019," Shemony said. "We have two new jerseys's coming in 2020, and then we'll be on the regular cycle."

So unlike all previous expansion clubs replacing only one kit, Cincinnati acknowledges that both are temp kits and they’ll update both next season. For comparison, even Minnesota kept the teamwear white kit for two seasons. They didn’t replace both despite both being teamwear like Cincinnati.

19 minutes ago, aawagner011 said:

Looks like Dallas leaked a couple hours early. This all white trend is truly becoming an epidemic. At least try to do some bit of design. Anything!

I don’t mind the shirt; the navy and red collar and cuff trim is pretty nice and the diagonal stripe pattern at least gives it a little bit of uniqueness. The shorts and socks leave a lot to be desired, though. The shorts and socks from this mockup by @Crooke86 and @3rdDegreeNet would’ve been so much better:

DzL0vvQUUAAI3dC?format=jpg&name=large

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

39 minutes ago, upperV03 said:

I guess my original point though was that the player-issued versions of MNUFC’s inaugural MLS kits featured Adidas’ replica kit technology, as opposed to the authentic kit technology (for example, they had the embroidered Adidas logo, the sewn-on Adidas stripes, no ventilation on the back, etc.). So even though they listed the fan versions as “authentic” (except for the youth and little kid versions), they were still essentially replica versions because they were without the typical bells and whistles of the authentic kits.

Edit- Didn’t see aawagner011’s post above explaining this same thing.

Actually MNUFC inaugural home kit used mix of Authentic and replica technology, because jersey was made from adizero fabrics which was the highest one back then also in that time stripes was sewn-on even on game-worn (except keeper shirt, because Onore 17 have stickers).

What about ventilation holes, Condivo 16 has three types of patterns, but from what I saw MNUFC haven't any of them, so it look like adidas didn't care of it at all.

4r2eer.png

32 minutes ago, aawagner011 said:

I honestly think that looks tight, the collar especially. I get being anti all-white, and I think a lot of the :censored: Minny is getting is probably deserved even though I think it's an improvement. 

But white-base can look class, and I think Dallas, from that, pulled it off for me.

spacer.png

On the MLS Kit Drop page (https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2018/02/01/2019-mls-jerseys) they pulled MTL's spot. I'm presuming that's a glitch or someone made a mistake somewhere, but my dream is that we get two new MTL kits this year. I'm big on their new home strip, and their away strip is fine but I think it could be improved. Pulling at invisible straws but one can hope.

spacer.png

1 minute ago, njdevs7 said:

Come onnnnnn. Another all white kit? At least do blue shorts. Where has all the creativity gone? Give me something like this again...

Dax+McCarty+Brad+Davis+FC+Dallas+v+Houst

See I think that looks bad. Too much blue, and only three stripes. I don't get the hate for white kits, I get the hate for lazy white kits (Cincy secondary the most obvious recent example), but mate, the new Dallas looks tight and that old strip looks bad imo.

spacer.png

3 minutes ago, WarriorFight said:

See I think that looks bad. Too much blue, and only three stripes. I don't get the hate for white kits, I get the hate for lazy white kits (Cincy secondary the most obvious recent example), but mate, the new Dallas looks tight and that old strip looks bad imo.

Here you go then...😂

dax-mccarty-of-fc-dallas-controls-the-ba

11 minutes ago, Digby said:

I liked the blue hoops era in theory, but rarely in practice. Products of that era of Adidas design which wasn’t my favorite.

Exactly how I feel about it. In theory it's sound, should look good, but a lot of Adidas kits from that time weren't too hot.

spacer.png

10 hours ago, upperV03 said:

There are at least a couple of white/blue teamwear options (Regista 18 and Tiro 17):

adidas-regista-18.jpg

adidas-tiro-17-jersey.jpg

Or they could’ve gone with the white/grey Campeon 19 jersey, which is based off of Germany’s home shirt:

campeon%2019%20wht-01.jpg

They also could’ve, and probably should’ve just used miTeam for the away kit just like the home kit. Even if they didn’t add any graphic pattern, they could’ve at least incorporated some blue and orange accents.

Regista could have looked really nice. Hell, if they were doing miTeam kits a blue Regista 18 shirt with an orange yoke would have been much better than what they got

07Giants.pngnyy.png

Here’s a couple more good looks at the full Dallas secondary:

2019_Jersey_Reveal___Dom_Badji_21.jpg

DzQBaXvUYAA0HDH?format=jpg&name=large

As well as their infographic for the jersey:

DzP1mZ3U8AE6TyJ?format=jpg&name=medium

Also, according to FCD’s press release on the new kit (link below) there will actually be blue shorts in addition to the white. Here’s what the article says: “The white jersey will be paired with blue shorts and white shorts throughout the season.” I’m sure the white shorts will probably be used more often, but here’s hoping we see a healthy dose of the white/blue/white combo.

https://www.fcdallas.com/post/2019/02/12/fc-dallas-unveils-reunion-jersey

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

3 hours ago, aawagner011 said:

Interesting note here regarding Cincinnati:

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/soccer/fc-cincinnati/2019/02/12/making-fc-cincinnatis-first-primary-mls-kit/2844535002/

So unlike all previous expansion clubs replacing only one kit, Cincinnati acknowledges that both are temp kits and they’ll update both next season. For comparison, even Minnesota kept the teamwear white kit for two seasons. They didn’t replace both despite both being teamwear like Cincinnati.

That’s odd.  FCC will have two one-year jerseys, and then introduce two new jerseys next year, one of which will also be a one-year jersey.  What exactly is the point of that?

Archived