NCAA Tournament Floors

fufkin

raised court for arizona/louisville

And UofP Stadium is not in center court format (thankfully). Lots of empty seats in Glendale. Should have been held at Jobing.com Arena or US Airways Center.

Playing these basketball games (except for the Final 4) in domes, is stupid. There is ZERO atmosphere (the games have been terrible anyway) and so few people in the stands, that it looks bad.

Play basketball where basketball was meant to be played.....in basketball arenas.

And, burn these standardized floors too. They are also, terrible.

If you truly want a "standardized floor", then make the west black/red, make the east black/green, make the south black/blue and make the midwest black/orange. At least, give the viewer at home some difference, between the sites. It makes for a boring game presentation.

I agree! Who decides these things?! It is slowly getting worse and worse every year.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply
raised court for arizona/louisville

And UofP Stadium is not in center court format (thankfully). Lots of empty seats in Glendale. Should have been held at Jobing.com Arena or US Airways Center.

Playing these basketball games (except for the Final 4) in domes, is stupid. There is ZERO atmosphere (the games have been terrible anyway) and so few people in the stands, that it looks bad.

Play basketball where basketball was meant to be played.....in basketball arenas.

And, burn these standardized floors too. They are also, terrible.

If you truly want a "standardized floor", then make the west black/red, make the east black/green, make the south black/blue and make the midwest black/orange. At least, give the viewer at home some difference, between the sites. It makes for a boring game presentation.

There is one dome used for the regional finals as it is a "test" for the next years Final Four, so I agree with your point, but understand that. The NCAA was wise to allow the corporate name on the court, but even smarter to have it in a color which is difficult to read.

As of my posting, there is no official attendance for the Glendale game.

As of my posting, there is no official attendance for the Glendale game.

AP box score shows 18,886.

OUCH! You beat me to it, but I did look at Memphis. A Grizzlies game sells out at 18,119, but I understand that the NCAA has more media and possible less seating. The UNC/Gonzaga game had 17,103 and the NCAA counts staff as a part of attendance. Uh-oh. I really don't want to know about Lucas Oil, but SteveR may embarrass then NCAA with that too. The lack of an audience with women's games may still need then to think about where to host or have the then "smaller" schools now get into the game.

According to the CBS announcers the NCAA made the TD Banknorth Garden to take down the Celtics and Bruins banners. All to make these places more neutral.

Did they have to do this at other sites?

Are they going to take the Lions banners down at Ford Field?

According to the CBS announcers the NCAA made the TD Banknorth Garden to take down the Celtics and Bruins banners. All to make these places more neutral.

They would need banners first.

Eagles/Heels/Dawgs/Falcons/Hawks

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/si_blogs/...tournament.html

good article on where the games should be played

I appreciate the blog, but where do you as a CCSL member think sites should be made and when? Be the boss since you hate what is currently being done. Logos aside, be a (wo)man! You only tak about floors. There are places which ypu can give your thoughts on bigger thoughts.

You have not given any solution to either the men's tournament or the women's. If you are goingt o be a b*#$hm then give solutions to both since the NCAA will need both.

From what you have said, I think you need to move on and remember that there are bigger things in life which you are complaining about.

How about we at least stay out of domes except for the Final Four and the "test" site for next year's final four. That would be a start...along with just using the regular courts of the arenas and putting small NCAA logos on the sides. I would hope they at least reuse these boring generic courts.

"I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be." -Peter Gibbons

RIP Demitra #38

How about we at least stay out of domes except for the Final Four and the "test" site for next year's final four. That would be a start...along with just using the regular courts of the arenas and putting small NCAA logos on the sides. I would hope they at least reuse these boring generic courts.

Good idea...Especially after seeing today's Nova-Pitt game (the Garden looked mostly unrecognizable without these Celtics and Bruins banners)

bYhYmxh.png

Watching the NCAA D-I Men's Hockey tournament, I noticed that there are similar generic rinks in use. The game I saw was in Minneapolis, which just had the NCAA hockey player silhouette in the center, a couple of NCAA logos and Univ of Minnesota logos, and NCAA wordmarks behind the nets. The boards had the four participating school names in blue rectangles with white letters (same font as used on the basketball floors), plus some small NCAA and UofM logos. Bleh!

CK3ZP8E.jpg

Bullseye. I thought one of the big selling points of the college game over the NBA game was how intense the atmosphere was. These atmospheres suck. It's empty, it's dark, and you only hear vague "let's go team name" chants coming from the distance. If you take away the atmosphere from college basketball, all you have left is gawky kids who can't make their shots.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

And that's exactly how it used to be done in the 80s and early 90s, back when the NCAA had two seals they could stick on a floor.

Visit Blogging the Bracket, SBNation's Bracketology and College Hoops Rambling site and Follow me on Twitter

Reasonable minds can differ, but I'm right. - Jay Bilas

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/si_blogs/...tournament.html

good article on where the games should be played

I appreciate the blog, but where do you as a CCSL member think sites should be made and when? Be the boss since you hate what is currently being done. Logos aside, be a (wo)man! You only tak about floors. There are places which ypu can give your thoughts on bigger thoughts.

You have not given any solution to either the men's tournament or the women's. If you are goingt o be a b*#$hm then give solutions to both since the NCAA will need both.

From what you have said, I think you need to move on and remember that there are bigger things in life which you are complaining about.

lmfao @ this implosion.

That is what I thought, but I didn't know if they had retired number banners hanging up.

I can understand why the NCAA stages the Final Four in domes. The revenue is probably much more than it would be at a typical arena and it also makes those games feel like more than just another game.

However, that doesn't mean that once every five years they can't put the event in a basketball arena. I mean, who wouldn't love to see a Final Four at Madison Square Garden?

But yeah, these regionals need to be moved. They don't necessarily need to be on-campus, but at least in basketball arenas.

I can understand why the NCAA stages the Final Four in domes. The revenue is probably much more than it would be at a typical arena and it also makes those games feel like more than just another game.

However, that doesn't mean that once every five years they can't put the event in a basketball arena. I mean, who wouldn't love to see a Final Four at Madison Square Garden?

But yeah, these regionals need to be moved. They don't necessarily need to be on-campus, but at least in basketball arenas.

The Final Four will never be at MSG because of the NIT,

They need to get rid of the elevated courts becuse eventually a lawsiut is waiting to happen because some is going to get killed if one flies off of the elevated court and onto the base floor

maybe go back to the sectioned parts where it id in the endzone or on the sideline corner

hou07.jpg

63404847.H0bBn4G4.jpg

tigersallstars092.png

steelcurtain.png

That is what I thought, but I didn't know if they had retired number banners hanging up.

what, the preseason champions banner?

since57.jpg

tigersallstars092.png

steelcurtain.png

Archived