NCAA Tournament Floors

fufkin

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Greensboro just got a new floor for the ACC (forest green/navy rather than purple/teal) so I wonder why the NCAA put a generic floor there.

Unless is because they couldn't adequately cover the much-more vertical ACC logo that's at center court.

The four first-round sites that got a generic floor are Boise, Portland, Greensboro and Kansas City.

Makes me think they're the ones that are also headed for Boston (from Greensboro), Memphis (from KC), Indianapolis (from Boise) and Glendale AZ (from Portland).

natsred.pngredskins.pngmaryland.pngcapitals.png

I believe the floor in Miami is from the former WNBA team the Miami Sol. None of the pictures were good enough to post here but that floor had red baselines and sidelines with a yellow lane. I assume when they refinished it and took off those logos that they just made it as generic as possible so they could host any number of basketball events.

The Boise court was the best thing ever, f the NCAA for ruining it.

One version of it:

Obviously, you haven't been around for awhile, they ditched that court and logo a long time ago. What the NCAA should do, is simple. Color coordinate the floors for each region, such as blue and yellow for the south, red and yellow for the west, black and yellow for the midwest, and green and yellow for the east, or something like that. You do that all throughout the tournament and just have a spot where you can place the host name. Or better than that, have the floor and and our of bounds designed the same way it is for the final and have a certain area for the host to be displayed on the baseline. Maybe have a logo at center court that says, "Road to the Final Four". If you want to standardize it, fine, but don't be generic and bland about it, but I guess that's the NCAA's motto, "Generic and bland and make money off these athletes but screw them as far as giving them money or helping them out."

Oddball has a point. If the NCAA insists on generic floors, could they at least be in the colors of the host institution?

What happens when a conference hosts?

Or if there's a joint hose (the 2006 Women's Final Four was jointly hosted by Northeastern and Harvard)?

I know the NCAA is anal about its sponsorships, but I remember when the Boston Garden first hosted the NCAA Tournament in 1999, all the players talked about was playing on the parquet.

I'm sure you'll see the parquet next weekend when Boston hosts the Sweet 16. I'd be disappointed if the parquet went away for black and blue.

Those on court stickers are VERY VERY slippery. I ran on the court of the Richmond Coliseum for the CAA Tournament and the portion where the logo was at center court was a bit slippery. And the longer a tournament goes on, the slipperiness actually wears off a bit and they become a bit sticky/tacky and actually marked up a bit.

I remember seeing the sticker in 1999 (or 2003) at the Boston Garden when the center court sticket was plain blue, not the gradient that they had, and it really got marked up by the 5th game of the tournament.

One version of it:

Why you gotta go and post that, huh? :P

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

Only problem is that the current pod system puts games from different regions into the same first/second-round site.

We wouldn't have this problem if the NCAA got a clue and played the South region games in the South, and the West region in the West.

But that makes too much sense for the NCAA.

Eagles/Heels/Dawgs/Falcons/Hawks

Only problem is that the current pod system puts games from different regions into the same first/second-round site.

We wouldn't have this problem if the NCAA got a clue and played the South region games in the South, and the West region in the West.

Any "we're being environmentally responsible but cutting down travel costs" spin that the NCAA wants to spew as rationale for adopting the pod system gets compromised by commissioning new temporary floors at sites that already have floors that would just need some logos covered.

48142444846_3aa6afbd89_m.jpgNCAA Baseball Champions | 2014, 2019 

facebook

One version of it:

Obviously, you haven't been around for awhile, they ditched that court and logo a long time ago.

Hence "one version" of it, I couldn't think of anything else off the top of my head that I knew happened there that I could dig up on YouTube.

1zgyd8w.jpg

Any "we're being environmentally responsible but cutting down travel costs" spin that the NCAA wants to spew as rationale for adopting the pod system gets compromised by commissioning new temporary floors at sites that already have floors that would just need some logos covered.

It has nothing to do with being environmentally responsible. It has EVERYTHING to do with the 2001 NCAA tournament, when Maryland, George Mason, Georgetown and Hampton, despite being within a couple hundred miles of each other, all got shipped out to Boise for the first two rounds. Locking the sites in to particular regions gave the committee absolutely no flexibility in building the bracket.

does anybody notice the loudness of the floors when the ball bounces? the floors sounds really hard. i saw a clip of them putting the pieces down and it looked like two pieces of wood with a hollow area inbetween them. i thought it would be more advanced than that.

One version of it:

Obviously, you haven't been around for awhile, they ditched that court and logo a long time ago. What the NCAA should do, is simple. Color coordinate the floors for each region, such as blue and yellow for the south, red and yellow for the west, black and yellow for the midwest, and green and yellow for the east, or something like that. You do that all throughout the tournament and just have a spot where you can place the host name. Or better than that, have the floor and and our of bounds designed the same way it is for the final and have a certain area for the host to be displayed on the baseline. Maybe have a logo at center court that says, "Road to the Final Four". If you want to standardize it, fine, but don't be generic and bland about it, but I guess that's the NCAA's motto, "Generic and bland and make money off these athletes but screw them as far as giving them money or helping them out."

here is my favorite version of their floor:

447087.jpg

then they had to change to this:

YZWDCZQDCCVXNKJ.20070403181609.jpg

C'mon guys! Florida State and Wisconsin playing in the East bracket with the game being in Boise makes so much sense. Boise is east of Oregon. See it makes sense.

Athletic Director: KTU Blue Grassers Football

Archived