CCSLC Championship Ring Thread

I'm sure they have already been posted, and I'm late to the party. But this is the first time I've seen this thread, and I wanted to say this.

The Seattle Seahawks 2013 Super Bowl Champs rings are beautiful, love the use of the Seahawk feathers, and all the use of the number 12. Great details in that design

I sure hope this is the last championship ring that Herff Jones ever gets to make.

It is so disappointing that a company would take so little pride in their work, especially when their work is design and creativity.

At first I thought it is Spurs to blame, don't appear anyone in that franchise would be interested in designing a piece of jewelry.

Actually, teams have an extremely high level of involvement in the design process, which is why there are so many atrocities amongst championship rings in recent years. Herff Jones simply did what their clients asked.

nav-logo.png

What's with the hammer on the side of the spurs ring? Anyone know?

The story behind the hammer is really cool!

The right side of the ring contains the Spurs Pounding the Rock symbol and contains an additional 22 round diamonds. There are five sparks shooting out from the rock which is symbolic the number of diamonds coincide with the number of championships an individual player is associated with.

Here's my blog with more information and details about the ring: http://sports-rings.com/wordpress1/2014/10/29/spurs-receive-their-fifth-championship-ring/

Oh so each players ring will be different then? Since I believe only Tim Duncan was there for all 5

Yes, they are each different from what I read. I think that's really cool! The 49ers, when they won their last super bowl, put a small number on the shank of the ring, symbolizing how many super bowl's the recipient won. I remember I owned a ring of a staff member and former player who had a "5" on his ring. I believe there was one player who was there for all "5" but I can't remember who.

I sure hope this is the last championship ring that Herff Jones ever gets to make.

It is so disappointing that a company would take so little pride in their work, especially when their work is design and creativity.

At first I thought it is Spurs to blame, don't appear anyone in that franchise would be interested in designing a piece of jewelry.

Actually, teams have an extremely high level of involvement in the design process, which is why there are so many atrocities amongst championship rings in recent years. Herff Jones simply did what their clients asked.

I am not sure how it works or how demanding the teams are, however, if you look back at the super bowl losing rings from superbowl 38 (Panthers), 39 (Eagles), 40 (Seahawks) and 42 (Pats) and 43 (Cardinals), jostens kept making the same ring over and over again.

Did every team say, I want the same ring? Perhaps Jostens gave them a price discount because they already had the molds? I have no idea, I'm just speculating, but how in the world was the same ring produced 5 times for 5 different teams?

From the 1970 New York Knicks Ring to 1983 Phily 76'ers Ring the NBA World Championship Ring looked like the same ring or nearly was the exact same ring made by the Balfour Ring company. So i am guessing that either the NBA Teams in those years were extremely lazy or Balfour had a contract with the winning NBA Team to produce nearly the exact same ring design for those 14 straight years. The 1984 Boston Celtics NBA Championship made by the same Balfour ring company was a totally differnet and unique design and ever since than the ring designs have all been different.

10710795_854898864544479_31931732665916510676420_854898944544471_6348120035443501977162_854899057877793_556597419288092610734050_854902097877489_75820719115331010505423_854899117877787_203836021418060

From the 1970 New York Knicks Ring to 1983 Phily 76'ers Ring the NBA World Championship Ring looked like the same ring or nearly was the exact same ring made by the Balfour Ring company. So i am guessing that either the NBA Teams in those years were extremely lazy or Balfour had a contract with the winning NBA Team to produce nearly the exact same ring design for those 14 straight years. The 1984 Boston Celtics NBA Championship made by the same Balfour ring company was a totally differnet and unique design and ever since than the ring designs have all been different.

10710795_854898864544479_31931732665916510676420_854898944544471_6348120035443501977162_854899057877793_556597419288092610734050_854902097877489_75820719115331010505423_854899117877787_203836021418060

Great points and it brings the following info focus: Back in the 70s, basketball was so behind football and baseball. Finals were shown on tape delay. The NBA got a hot new commodity named Dr. Jay who had flash. Soon Magic and Bird emerged. The NBA started to grow tremendously. Perhaps teams did not have money for flashy rings and that's why we saw the same ring over and over again. Perhaps the league had a contract with Balfour and finally turned over the role of championship ring design and distribution to the individual teams in the early 80s!

Thanks Yee Mar

Spurs 2014 various staff rings.

Teams routinely make various levels of staff rings for employees.

I heard spurs made 4 rings, staff I, staff II, Staff III and Friends and Family rings.

Miami Heat had Players rings and 6 different levels of staff rings, although they all looked the same and only differed in size, weight and material they were made of. Spurs have decided to pick different looking rings altogether.

1450751_10204940309730325_24653272713978

Here is "pound the rock" which has been on 4 of past 5 rings.

Masters of Design had done a great job having made 4 unique rings so far, however it seems like Herff Jones just decided to go with their one and only generic design which was also used for both Colts SB ring and Colts AFC Championship ring.

10351803_10204940414092934_6802590550054

I am not sure how it works or how demanding the teams are, however, if you look back at the super bowl losing rings from superbowl 38 (Panthers), 39 (Eagles), 40 (Seahawks) and 42 (Pats) and 43 (Cardinals), jostens kept making the same ring over and over again.

Did every team say, I want the same ring? Perhaps Jostens gave them a price discount because they already had the molds? I have no idea, I'm just speculating, but how in the world was the same ring produced 5 times for 5 different teams?

My guesses, and admittedly they're only guesses, are that...

In the NFL's case, while the league allocates a certain amount toward championship rings for Super Bowl winners, it's up to the individual teams to fit the bill for 'mere' conference championship awards. Add to this that most players refuse to actually wear them, seeing them as a "loser's ring," and yeah, I think there might be something to that idea. It'd also explain why the Steelers went with watches a few years back.

In the NBA's case, the league itself handled the purchase/allocation of championship rings each year.

nav-logo.png

I don't mind that the Spurs 2014 looks comparable to the 2003 ring. I can't fault a team for using their own logo (unless it's done incorrectly, see 2013 Red Sox). What I do find interesting is the 2003 ring says "World Champions" and the 2007 ring says "NBA Champions" on the face.

Lastly, at least the Larry O'Brien trophy looks decent on the Spurs ring. Jostens usually does a good job, but the diamonds to represent the basketballs on last year's Miami Heat ring were too small causing the trophies to look a little off.

ring-views-01.jpg

I am impressed by Tiffany’s fan championship rings.

Both Seahawks SB fan ring and LA Kings fan rings are toned down but nearly identical to players ring.

The fan championship rings that Jostens offers look nothing similar to player’s rings, however Tiffany has done a terrific job producing fan rings. The only drawback is that they will not personalize the rings with a name, although you can ask for name engraving inside the ring.

The Seahawks fan ring is 26 mm wide which is same size as player’s rings.

The Kings rings are extremely close to the actual player’s rings also, however I am not sure if they are the same size as players rings are listed at 32 MM wide but fan ring dimensions are not given.

10660250_10204945168691796_3864387386477

Hey Mike I saw your last blog posting about Dallas NBA ring, it's more the reason that teams should just let fans purchase toned down versions of their championship rings. It used to be only players got rings, now pretty much everyone and their grand mother can get a ring.

Hey Mike I saw your last blog posting about Dallas NBA ring, it's more the reason that teams should just let fans purchase toned down versions of their championship rings. It used to be only players got rings, now pretty much everyone and their grand mother can get a ring.

That reminds me of some interesting stories.

Two ring collectors, John Reynolds (who passed away a few years ago) and someone else who I won't name were such passionate ring collectors that they somehow convinced the teams to make them championship rings. They had to pay for the rings, but they got them.

In that spirit, I used to do marketing with the Islanders. I know the director of merchandising and they gave out "Core-of-four" championship rings to the Islander players who were there for all 4 championships and attended a celebration weekend a few seasons back.

I asked, and they made me a ring. Unlike the player's rings which were made of a base metal, I was allowed to buy and pay for a Jostens 10K ring.

Someday I will have to do a story on this topic!

• Like 1