New crest for Crystal Palace FC

Gothamite

We've been talking about this on the soccer megathread, but this is too good to hide there.

Crystal Palace FC, currently playing in the second tier of English football, is modernizing its crest. Here's what they use now:

crystal-palace-crest.jpg

They've taken the uncommon if not unprecedented step of letting their fans vote from a list of finalists. Whatever you say about Palace, they listen to their fans. The club did this a couple years ago with the team's shirt design.

Crystal Palace Football Club are updating and modernising the club's crest, and we want you, the supporters, to help us make this important decision. We're looking to apply a fresh and simple design that will look great across our kits, merchandise and the stadium, and are very excited about refreshing the image of the club.

After taking fans' feedback from the launch of the four initial options, the board of directors have made alterations to several of the original designs and added two new options. All six of the badges have been designed by Palace supporters, so vote for the design that you feel will help represent the club best. We have prepared many examples of the badges in use on shirts and merchandise to help your selection.

The new badge will be used exclusively from the 2012/2013 season.

Voting is open to season ticket holders (2011/12 and 2012/13) and members, half-season ticket holders, members of the Selhurst 6 & 12 initiative and Palace Player subscribers. Voting will close at 11.59pm on Wednesday 1 February.

newbadges.jpg

Crest A: I really like this one. It would look good on a shirt.

Crest B: Ugh. No thanks.

Crest C: Not too bad.

Crest D: I can't help but think that I've seen that somewhere.

american-airlines-logo2.jpg

Crest E: Okay, but too boring.

Crest F: Without a doubt, my favorite. I love the eagle. The segmented wings look like panes of glass, which is a nice touch.

I'm glad to see that all the designs incorporate a visual callback to the Palace itself:

crystal-palace3.gif

The article mentions that there were four prior options.

After taking fans' feedback from the launch of the four initial options, the board of directors have made alterations to several of the original designs and added two new options.

A and C were unchanged from the ititial proposals. E and F were the two options added by the board.

B was cleaned up somewhat (original on the left):

0,,10323~9858132,00.jpg0,,10323~10380644,00.jpg

They lost the gradients, and added the reference to the Crystal Palace building itself, a touch common to many of these crests.

D was completely overhauled.

0,,10323~9858133,00.jpg0,,10323~10380645,00.jpg

I think the board's decisions were good ones. I'm still pulling for F, heads and shoulders above the other designs.

Since you mention the old crest, this is a review of the previous crests used by the club.

1940s

Although the club was founded in 1905, no official club crest was used until the late 1940s when an image of the Crystal Palace with a claret and blue shield was produced.

badgea.jpg

A more elaborate version of the famous glass building was adopted in 1955 by the Glaziers.

badgeb.jpg

This simple design without the Crystal Palace was chosen by the club after they held a competition amongst fans for the 1972/73 season.

badgec.jpg

Malcom Allison arrived as manager in 1973 and totally rebranded the club. He changed the shirt colours to red and blue stripes, with the Eagles nickname, and a 'phoenix' looking eagle to represent the rising from the Crystal Palace ashes was displayed with the palace in a new club badge.

badgee.jpg

This adapted version of the official club crest was used on the players' shirts from 1973 to 1987. After that, the team's shirts displayed the full version of the badge.

badged.jpg

Chairman Ron Noades wanted a new badge with an aggressive, forward-looking eagle to replace what he deemed was a phoenix on the previous one. This has been used throughout the club since 1994.

badgef.jpg

Fits right in line.

0,,10323~10380652,00.jpg

Keeps the eagle/palace configuration, but cleans it up considerably and creates a new distinct and easy-to-render eagle, one that looks as though it might be made of stained glass.

I'd also like to see them return to claret and blue, but that's obviously not going to happen.

The only one that I feel is a bad option is A. B reminds me too much of the AFL's Hawthorn Hawks. My favorites of the bunch are F and C, though the one in the post above is damn good.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

From the old thread:

Here's a little story behind CPFC crest. Actually just look at infographic I put to understand.

CPFCinfoboardShadow.jpg

So I was involved as CPFC fan, but the owner chose my crest to be combined with another board member's and that other member works on it. The product of that is E crest.

BadgeComparason.jpg

This is comparison of what Doof did based on my work, and what my work was, and what I would like E to be.

Apart from those I have few stronger crest that I think would work better for Palace, that would better honor the history. Few from many:

CPFC2012.jpg

CPFC12.jpg

CPFC9.jpg

CPFC4.jpg

Thanks for posting this again. As I said on the other thread, amongst your designs I'm really partial to this one:

CPFC4.jpg

I don't really care for the round logo, since there are already so many in the sport. I like a crest with distinctive silhouette, and this one's really sharp.

Here's the larger version of your timeline. I still can't quite read the text, but at least we can see the crests.

2nq7gqb.jpg

I would say, with few tweaks that would probably be my favorite. So after all that work, how could I ever buy Palace merchandise with a crest with lesser value on it? I wouldn't mind if they would pick a better crest then mine, and I wouldn't mind if they didn't take mine away and give it to another person to "fix" it - which became E...

• 1 year later...

Archived