Your 2012 National Hockey Lockout Thread

Lee.

On top of trading a good ol' Western Canadian boy for an American in JVR, the Leafs have signed another American to (assumingly) replace Ontario boy Mike Zigomanis.

Who?

Keith Aucoin. He could just be a replacement for Dupuis, but I don't see them keeping Zigomanis.

He's not a replacement for Dupuis. 70 points in 43 games (Aucoin) is a bit more impressive than 31 points in 42 games (Dupuis)

He's an assist machine that brings a Calder Cup championship and loads of playoff experience. FANTASTIC signing by Burke.

I was referring to his role as an farmhand depth guy who will fight for a spot in the Leafs' bottom 6 and will split time between the Leafs and the Marlies, much like Joey Crabb and Darryl Boyce a few years ago (and of course, Dupuis this past year) . While he is surely an upgrade over Dupuis, he will play a similar role as a part of the organization. With Dupuis and perhaps Ziggy gone, they signed him to play the same role as a depth guy.

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Aucoin is a classic tweener. Lights out offensively at the AHL level, but not a checking line forward in the NHL.

duscarf2013.pngg6uheq4mgvrndguzuzak1pcte.gif
"I don't understand where you got this idea so deeply ingrained in your head (that this world) is something that you must impress, cause I couldn't care less"

http://keepdcunited.org

Once again, 24 percent is the solution sought by the NHL in collective bargaining with the NHLPA.

Seven years after the league was able to impose a 24-percent rollback on existing contracts as one of the terms of the settlement of the lockout that claimed the 2004-05 season, that is just how much the athletes would have sacrificed if the system proposed by the NHL to go into effect next year had been in effect in 2011-12.

That is the calculation drawn by the players? association following three days of fact-finding meetings with the league on Sixth Avenue that concluded yesterday, according to a memo from executive director Don Fehr that was obtained by The Post.

Fehr wrote: ?We learned that the owners? proposal, if in effect in 2011-12, would have had the following effects:

?(1) Player compensation would have been reduced by $450 million, or 24 percent ... Using the definitions in effect under the current CBA, the ?46%? player share in the proposal is really only ?43% and change.?

?(2) The salary cap would have fall to an Upper limit of $50.8M, a Midpoint of $46.8M, and a floor of only $38.8M.?

The NHL operated last year with an actual cap of $64.3 million and a floor of $48.8 million. If the current CBA were in place next year, the cap would be $70.2 million and the floor, $54.2 million.

Fehr continued in the memo: ?(3) This would mean Player compensation would fall to below 2003/04 levels, notwithstanding the large revenue increases in the last few years.?

NHL revenue has grown by nearly $1 billion, to approximately $3.2 billion, over the last seven seasons.

Then the owners shouldn't need that 24% rollback again...

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Aucoin is a classic tweener. Lights out offensively at the AHL level, but not a checking line forward in the NHL.

He's Darren Haydar. He's Peter White. In baseball he'd be called an AAAA player.

Good call on the Don Cherry post too, Zigomanis is one of those guys Cherry irrationally hypes up.

Then the owners shouldn't need that 24% rollback again...

I'm really torn on this. I do believe players deserve the money more than the owners, and have no problem with them getting what they can. At the same time, the salary cap as it works right now might as well not exist. You can pay a guy twice what his actual cap hit is, and we are right back to the pre-lockout problem of the rich teams being able to poach players from the poor teams.

1zgyd8w.jpg

Apparently Nashville GM Dave Poile contacted Flyers GM Paul Holmgren to talk trade, which would imply that the Predators can't match the offer (otherwise they'd just match it and not take this step.)

I read that originally Nashville wanted Braden Schenn and Shawn Couturier for Weber (I guess a sign and trade? Not sure how RFA works) but the Flyers just said FU and signed him to that offer sheet. Now Nashville may just get some lesser player and a couple of the first rounders (as opposed to all 4) to agree not to match.

If I'm the Flyers, I do it, just to get this over with, but then again, if they're making the phone call, it implies that they can't match, so there's no incentive to make any deal. I guess things can happen at the last second, so I'd feel better just giving someone up to seal the deal.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

The username change system is down. Please, please, please don't change your number!! :P

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

The username change system is down. Please, please, please don't change your number!! :P

Only 61 that ever mattered in the NHL :P He won't change.

Unless he pulls a LeBron and thinks 61 is Maxim Afinogenov's number and only his number.

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

Finally!

Nash to the Rangers. Per Darren Dreger.

:grin::grin::grin::grin::grin::grin::grin::grin::grin::grin::grin::grin::grin::grin:

FINALLY

Dubinsky, Del Zotto, ? and a First?

Just a guess.

I could deal with that. The only confirmation I've heard is no Stepan.

EDIT:

Dreger tweet says Dubi, Erixson and a first are three of the four pieces to the deal

Manchester-City-icon.png

Archived