Los Angeles Clippers Identity Concept

mbannon92

Well it's been awhile, but I'm finally back with some new material. This Los Angeles Clippers Identity Concept has been in the works for a few months now...between looking for an internship and moving to London for four months to study abroad I haven't had a ton of free time. But that's enough of my personal life...to the concept!

I tried to mix the different eras of Clippers basketball. The primary logo is obviously inspired by the team's original logo, back when they were in San Diego. The script is similar to their current one, but a little cleaner and not slanted. The LAC secondary (or tertiary here) remains, but with some tweaks for beater readability. The number and NOB font stays the same.

As for the uniforms, I wanted to go for simplicity. A single, thin stripe down the sides, similar to their previous set, that flares out slightly at the ends. The primary logo (sans-script) appears on both sides of the shorts.

Now, my big problem is choosing a color scheme. I started out with their current red and blue with a little silver added in for a little extra depth, but then tried out the powder blue and orange color scheme they wore originally. So I'll post both and see what everyone thinks.

So, without further adieu...

Red/Blue: Logos | Home | Road | Alternate

Powder/Orange: Logos | Home | Road | Alternate

I also love the orange and powdered blues. I've always been partial to that scheme for the clips. I like the update of the old logo, its a solid modernization, but the lines connecting the sails to the ship seem kind of awkward to me. I know what they're there for but it just seems a little incomplete for some reason. Just a small critique...other than that its solid.

It looks really nice overall. I'm not sold on the "Clippers" wordmark though. The C looks funny. If you want it to be bigger, like a faux-small caps treatment, thin up the C to make it the same thickness are the rest of the word. Also, see about tweaking it to have less of a gap inside.

I think the "incomplete" feeling is with the secondary. In the primary, the wordmark at the bottom stands in for the water and surf, and does so rather well. It's missing on the secondary.

In looking back at the logos, you have the shading on the sails on the red/blue version, but not on the orange/powder version, and I think that detracts a lot. I'd add that in and run with the orange/powder look. Like everyone else has said, it's different, and that's great.

I know nothing about basketball, and less about the clippers, but that's a good looking logo set.

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

Honestly, you can't really go wrong with either color scheme in my opinion; I've been so used to seeing them in red, white, and blue, any other scheme would be just foreign. I like that you went for simplicity, especially for the uniforms, because they are very clean-looking.

Both concepts are outstanding; the sky/powder blue and orange does look good, and it would at least stand out among the other NBA teams.

I also like how the powdered blue and reddish-orange not only cater to the original, but it feels like a nice transition from their plain red and royal blue without jumping the entire ship... sorry for the pun :( couldn't avoid it.

Well, powder blue and orange it is! Glad everyone liked that option...it's my favorite of the two as well. As for the critiques...

- I know it's a big gap in the C in the Clippers wordmark, but I was basing it off their current wordmark, which has that also. I think I'll leave that be.

- Hockey week, as for your two comments, I agree that the secondary looks a little incomplete, but I'm not sure what to do with the space at the bottom...any suggestions? Also, I'll look into shading the sails in some way. I tried making the shapes in them light blue, but then it just looked like there were holes in the sale.

Probably won't have an update for awhile...heading for Portugal and Spain tonight for spring break! I'll keep an eye on the thread though.

Well, powder blue and orange it is! Glad everyone liked that option...it's my favorite of the two as well. As for the critiques...

- I know it's a big gap in the C in the Clippers wordmark, but I was basing it off their current wordmark, which has that also. I think I'll leave that be.

- Hockey week, as for your two comments, I agree that the secondary looks a little incomplete, but I'm not sure what to do with the space at the bottom...any suggestions? Also, I'll look into shading the sails in some way. I tried making the shapes in them light blue, but then it just looked like there were holes in the sale.

Probably won't have an update for awhile...heading for Portugal and Spain tonight for spring break! I'll keep an eye on the thread though.

Have fun! And the secondary does need some work, the C is bugging me a lot.

sport-scarf_leafs_zps5f769288.png

seahawks_banner.png

• 2 weeks later...

This identity concept is amazing, very precise, clear and thought out.

Your Jerseys are designed great, very detailed, can see you put a lot of time into it. I like the red Concept bettter over the powder orange though, powder orange can be a little hard on the eyes

• 5 weeks later...

WOW this has been awhile...sorry about that. Been busy with school and travelling. Here's an update to the primary logo though:

New Logos

Only real change is how the sails interact with each other...gave them a little separation. I tried messing with the CLA logo but nothing else looked right, and I want to keep the outlines for consistency with the rest of the identity.

And for comparison:

Old Logos

The only thing about the blue/orange combo is that it reminds me too much of the Bobcats, which is another cluster entirely.

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

Archived