Phillies Uniforms?

Phils Phan

This question may seem pretty noobish and not worthy of a thread, but I honestly would like to know how the current Phillies uniform set is viewed here? They've been incredibly consistent since 1992 (home and road haven't changed a non-mandatory stitch) and they're one of the few teams that haven't given into the colored alt trend.

So how are the Phillies current uniforms view on this forum? Are they considered a modern classic for an ancient franchise, or our they considered too flawed or simply middle of the pack?

I know I'm biased, but I think they're great. The red pinstripes and sleeve numbers are extremely distinctive, the chain stitching and star dots are nice little touches, and I personally like the bubbly script (I tire of people saying all script have to look hand drawn, the Phils script has character in another way). I also dig the thick road striping though I understand some may find it outdated. My only complaints are the number font (I like the idea but the execution is lacking) and that the hat logo doesn't really stand out much from the pack (though it's still pretty nice).

Phillies, Bears, and new NYFC fan.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Really? I hate maroon but love the red.Some of the best unis in ln the MLB IMO. Sleeve patches are great and I love the stars that dot the i's. Cream unis are nice and so are the pinstripes. For some reason I can't stand the Phillies in Maroon.

Noah Oppenheimer

baseballonly on OOTP Forums

Phillies GM in Max Modern Baseball

MMB Phillies Blog--League Blog

IronPigs GM in Continental Baseball League

I can think of two easy improvements to the current Phillies uniform. First, there's no reason why the city name in script wouldn't fit on a road uniform. The other Philadelphia sports teams don't use the city name, and I think the script would look great. If there's a concern about length on the jersey, the city name could be tilted.

The second improvement would be the return of the Liberty Bell to the left sleeve of the jerseys. The bell was used in 1976, and that's a strong city symbol, since the Phils don't use a literal representation of their nickname on the jersey.

As much as I dislike the team, their cream alts paired with the blue caps are sharp. The home and road are boring IMO, I think the script is a little cartoony and dated. Something about the red pinstripes reminds me of pajamas (I'm not crazy about the Mets pinstripes either honestly). Overall I'd rank them as middle of the pack. Not one of the best or worst.

I'm way more partial to the maroon look from the 80s, even though that's clearly dated as well. I've always thought it looked so much cooler though. If they switched back to that (or a modernized "Blue Jays-ification" of that) look they'd be one of the sharpest teams in the league.

I think their uniforms are great. Some of the small details, like chain stitching, the sleeve numbers, the blue stars, and the blue button on the hat really make them stand out in a positive way.

I like the road grays more so than the pin-stripes, but I think the cream alternate is the best of the bunch.

I do agree. The cream alt's and blue hats are the best. I wish that was full time home uniform.

I think their uniforms are great. Some of the small details, like chain stitching, the sleeve numbers, the blue stars, and the blue button on the hat really make them stand out in a positive way.

I like the road grays more so than the pin-stripes, but I think the cream alternate is the best of the bunch.

i am a phillies fan, overall i like the uniforms, i like the script based on historical phillies jerseys and logos before, but im ready for some change or at least uniform additions. I love the alternate creams for day games though, keep that. They never have had Philadelphia on the uniform, i would like to see that on the aways. I would also like an alternate red jersey with a 'P', similar to what is in the OP's avatar. liberty bell patch is a nice idea too.

1. The stripes are just printed on as opposed to the woven-in zig-zag pattern (like Yankees) so they appear pink under many circumstances.

2. Raglan sleeves (like the throwbacks they just wore) work much better with pinstriped uniforms.

3. The current script is too "perfect". It's just too round on the top and bottom of the "h", and just doesn't have the organic feel of the 40s and 50s era.

4. The blue stars are... OK, I guess. I'd prefer just red, but blue is fine.

5. The blue button on the cap is ridiculously out of place. It adds nothing to the cap. I'm also not a fan of the cap logo, though there's nothing egregiously wrong with it.

6. The daytime alts would look a million times better if they wore blue belts / socks / shoes.

7. The road uniform looks very dated with the over use of white trim. It doesn't look "classic" at all. It looks like it was designed in the 70s-early 90s (kinda like the Yankees.) It would look much more "classic" with reduced, or better yet eliminated white trim.

At the end of the day, I'm not a fan. I'd rather them go full-on throwback (40s or 50s era, maybe even the red+navy era) or something all together new. Using maroon would be nice as it would be unique, but a simple recolor of the current set would be dumb, and I don't want to see the swirl P set come back (not that I hate it, but it is extremely era-specific.)

One thing I do agree with is that both uniforms say "Phillies". There's been a million concepts, as well as a real prototype jersey posted here that have the "Philadelphia" script, and it looks horrible. Too many letters makes them all too small and weak.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

1. The stripes are just printed on as opposed to the woven-in zig-zag pattern (like Yankees) so they appear pink under many circumstances.

2. Raglan sleeves (like the throwbacks they just wore) work much better with pinstriped uniforms.

3. The current script is too "perfect". It's just too round on the top and bottom of the "h", and just doesn't have the organic feel of the 40s and 50s era.

5. The blue button on the cap is ridiculously out of place. It adds nothing to the cap. I'm also not a fan of the cap logo, though there's nothing egregiously wrong with it.

6. The daytime alts would look a million times better if they wore blue belts / socks / shoes.

7. The road uniform looks very dated with the over use of white trim. It doesn't look "classic" at all. It looks like it was designed in the 70s-early 90s (kinda like the Yankees.) It would look much more "classic" with reduced, or better yet eliminated white trim.

At the end of the day, I'm not a fan. I'd rather them go full-on throwback (40s or 50s era, maybe even the red+navy era) or something all together new. Using maroon would be nice as it would be unique, but a simple recolor of the current set would be dumb, and I don't want to see the swirl P set come back (not that I hate it, but it is extremely era-specific.)

One thing I do agree with is that both uniforms say "Phillies". There's been a million concepts, as well as a real prototype jersey posted here that have the "Philadelphia" script, and it looks horrible. Too many letters makes them all too small and weak.

Wow I've never seen a Phillies fan hate on their uniforms so much, honestly I didn't know any fans hated them THAT much. I agree with 100% with point 6, there's no reason to have the hat/sleeves/socks be so mismatched (reminds me of the Red Sox nowadays). I generally agree with point 5, it is out of place, but I do like the pop the touch of blue gives the hat so I wouldn't call it worthless.

Point 1 is an occasional problem, but I HARDLY notice it to be fair except from a large distance (they probably look pretty pink from the stands). I disagree with point 2 but to be fair it's not a big deal to me either way,

I really don't understand why point 3 is so popular. Seriously why must every cursive look like some average Joe drew it? The rounded feel is what makes it stand out from any other script.

It's a small detail but I really think the blue pops very well so I disagree with point 6 as well. As for point 7 I agree there's way too much white around the script but the thick sleeve stripes really pop in my opinion. It doesn't look classic but I don't think that's what they're going for.

Isn't it hard to root for them when you hate their unis so much?

Phillies, Bears, and new NYFC fan.

The road uniform is so dated. The sleeve cuff stripes make it look straight out of the 70s or 80s and the font is dated as well. I like the hat but I'd like to see them go back to maroon. The retro look is pretty popular around the Philadelphia area.

7. The road uniform looks very dated with the over use of white trim.....It would look much more "classic" with reduced, or better yet eliminated white trim.

A lot of people complain about white trim on away uniforms (mostly when it comes to the Dodgers and Yankees). I think it looks good on all of them, including the Phillies. It compliments the white logo on all their hats, so it is not so out of place.

I do not see the Phillies returning to the swirly P and maroon. I liken it to a Brewers and Padres situation, where fans can double dip, purchasing a current and a throwback look.

They own red pinstripes, since the Reds no longer use them. The primary home is a classic, whether executed in its current iteration or in the throwbacks they used last week. The sleeve number is unique, but not good. I'd prefer a Liberty Bell patch in its place.

I am for the removal of white outlines on the home and road.

Batting practice uniforms clash terribly with the home alternate pants. White lettering over cream pants. Fortunately, no one really sees the terrible mismatch unless they are at the park early for a home day game.

48142444846_3aa6afbd89_m.jpgNCAA Baseball Champions | 2014, 2019 

facebook

Wow I've never seen a Phillies fan hate on their uniforms so much, honestly I didn't know any fans hated them THAT much. I agree with 100% with point 6, there's no reason to have the hat/sleeves/socks be so mismatched (reminds me of the Red Sox nowadays). I generally agree with point 5, it is out of place, but I do like the pop the touch of blue gives the hat so I wouldn't call it worthless.

Point 1 is an occasional problem, but I HARDLY notice it to be fair except from a large distance (they probably look pretty pink from the stands). I disagree with point 2 but to be fair it's not a big deal to me either way,

I really don't understand why point 3 is so popular. Seriously why must every cursive look like some average Joe drew it? The rounded feel is what makes it stand out from any other script.

It's a small detail but I really think the blue pops very well so I disagree with point 6 as well. As for point 7 I agree there's way too much white around the script but the thick sleeve stripes really pop in my opinion. It doesn't look classic but I don't think that's what they're going for.

Isn't it hard to root for them when you hate their unis so much?

I don't HATE!!! them, I just feel that they're far from perfect and listed the areas that I think can be improved upon. Being a fan or nothas nothing at all to do with uniform evaluation.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

From another Phils fan's perspective, like mentioned above I do like the 80s caps. But they won't go back to them especially after the 2008 championship.

However, if they ARE looking to upgrade to sell some more merch (and with Ruben Amaro still around they need all the help they can get) I would love to see them switch to the 60s style sript/hats they wore about a week ago against the cubs. I think its small enough of an upgrade that they wouldn't have to, say, overhaul the stadium. But it's significant enough to clean it up and make it look better.

from this:

dde6ugqm5exrau06p8f2g17x4.gif

to some form of this:

RiGRbj6iL.jpeg

Far superior to what they wear now - and I am not a "throwback guy".

0805_SW_ashburn.jpg

Also - can't believe that this happened. Horrible. Looks like a softball jersey.

149815d1239199379-gambo-t_wil1-photo-art

The number font is something that I HATE!!! It just looks so cartoonish. Not olde timey at all - just terrible, especially the 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, and 8.

I've always thought they could pull off a TIgers-style old english P on the chest - kind of like one of their old time jerseys, but with a red cap or some combo of royal and red (like red P, royal sleeve piping or something.)

239417d1324391931-gambo-t_wil1-photopack1926PHI_PHI_NL.gif

Archived