Kansas City Royals

rtrich11

This is a concept for the Kansas City Royals where I wanted to go a new direction. I guess I've just been thinking they could do a lot better than what they have been using for so many years. As for colors, the Royals use a minimum of yellow, and I did the same thing here.

Yes, there is a lion used for the Omaha Royals affiliate club, but their art is much too busy for MLB. The design cues here are taken from royal crests and coat-of-arms, but not as cluttered or busy. The KC would go on the hat and the lion on the sleeve, and you'd still be able to tell what it was from a good distance away.

I will probably tweak this, so C+C welcome.

RoyalsWebTR.jpg

excellent - great rendering of the lion. the only thing i don't like is the baseball inside the O in Royals. Maybe for a "primary" logo, have the lion and text on either a baseball diamond or on home plate? maybe also arch the script? great work so far, I'd love to see uniforms.

OD_Signature.jpg

i think it's gorgeous.

only thing i would change is that i'd arch the script on the jerseys...

and about putting a diamond around it? it's a little cliche, but i think it might look pretty damn good... and a little more "baseballish".

When i clicked on this topic I was expecting crap. Luckily I was greatly surprised to find an awsome original concept.

BUT....its not quite there yet. The primary needs more and the lion needs some work.

EDIT: I got it, the lion, the way it is cut, is too much like a football logo. add more ches and shoulder and play with it.

Wow. Nicely done. The suggestions given are good ideas. My only problem is with the wordmark. I'm not feeling the "talon", for the lack of a better term, coming off the R, and on the K in the "KC" logo. Otherwise, this is looking great.

Are there uniforms on the way by any chance?

Thanks! I doubt I'll be putting a diamond, home plate, or bats behind this art though. I think they would make the logo kinda cliché and lose its impact. I don't think it needs it because the Diamondbacks, A's, Rays, Tigers, Jays, Reds, Sox, Angels, Astros, Indians, and Braves don't have baseball props in their identities. The ball in the "O" was an attempt to bring some baseball into it. Maybe that's a stretch, or maybe doesn't work as well, so I'd entertain other options.

I may play with arching the text, but I'll see how it looks before I post that. Might not look at "regal".

Uniforms later...way later- after this is nailed.

If you keep the baseball in the O, try to refine the stitching a little bit. As it is now, it looks a lot like a tennis ball. Otherwise, this looks pretty good.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

Outstanding!

The royals use a cartoonish lion on some things (at least they did in 1999 when I went to a game--it's on the stub). But this is a very classy logo. I tend to agree with whoever said that the ball in the "o" is not quite right. It seems a bit weird. Maybe show the stitches instead of just the line. Or perhaps get rid of it? Other than that though, it looks great. Unique without trying to hard to make it "fierce."

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Wow, looks great. The Lion is off the chain.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

I really like this, however I just can't help but get the fore mention KFC vibe, but I also seemed to be reminded of a cigarette brand, but I can't figure out which one. Anyway, it's a good start, the lion needs a more baseball feel to it.

I once had a car but I crashed it. I once had a guitar but I smashed it. I once, wait where am I going with this?

That is absolutely fantastic.

I do have one suggestion, though: Take out the curls at the bottom of the lion's mane. At first I thought the curl was the bottom of the lion's mouth.

But overall, this is a very sweet logo idea.

As a Royals fan - I like it. Very nice work! :D

Kansas-BB-banner.png My-son-Soldier-banner.png

Kansas City Scouts (CHL) Orr Cup Champions 2010, 2019, 2021         St. Joseph Pony Express (ULL)  2023 Champions     Kansas City Cattle (CL)

You're off to a great start.

My issues have already been posted, but as a means of emphasis:

1. The "talon" on the "R" in "ROYALS". Looks very out of place, kinda like you had a solid but not unique font, and you felt that you had to spice it up with a talon. But it doesn't fit with the rest of the lettering, and it comes off looking forced. Moreover, since it isn't anywhere else within the wordmark, the viewer's eye is drawn to it specifically since it stands out.

2. The baseball inside the "O". Try contrast-color stitches, or better defined stitches. Right now, there is no boundary separating the blue of the stitches from the blue of the letter. And it looks like a mistake rather than an intended element. Again, it comes across as forced, cramming a design in the negative space of an otherwise-unaltered, conservative font.

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

Thanks again, everyone. I haven't had time to update anything for a few days, so changes will have to come later. Sorry for that delay.

The "talon" on the R and KC was an attempt to bring the style of the art into the wordmark. Guess I got mixed reviews on that. And for the ball in the O, I think I'll just kill that. Some have suggested stitching the ball, but at that size it wouldn't be noticeable, or reproduce well. So unless some great solution arises, it will go.

Archived