Bills confirm new uniform for 2011

Nick in England

Is it that the Eagles colors are just too dark to go with each other because I don't think red and blue would have that same problem.

Red and blue have similar grayscales, which causes no end of confusion for people trying to colorize old photos. That's the major issue I have with the idea.

That's true, but would this be a concern in 2011 and beyond? The NY Rangers and Pistons have had no trouble wearing lots of royal and red together with white as the tertiary color. I think the Bills could make it work, especially seeing it on a real player instead of just a concept template.

You can't really compare the Pistons/Rangers colors to Bills red/blue concept.

Background of the playing field, either on ice or on a basketball court makes a big difference.

Red/blue on a green football field just wouldn't work.

That's a silly argument. We're all used to green being the background so we separate the green color of the grass from how the uniforms look. A lot of really good looking football uniforms use colors that don't go well with the color green.

PvO6ZWJ.png

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think he's talking about colors "going with" each other. The issue is contrast. Red, royal blue and kelly green have similar grayscales. Without a contrasting color in there somewhere, the player can almost appear to blend into the background.

Having a significantly contrasting color as a major uniform element, such as gold or white pants, makes the player pop out from the field. Call it a living keyline. :D

I guess I've come around on some monochrome uniforms (Seattle, Baltimore when they wear all black) and don't see the peril of wearing red and blue without much white.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I mean, unless you're colorblind, they wouldn't blend in. It's not like we still use black and white cameras/TVs.

Never said they would appear to be the exact same color. But because they have the same grayscale, players in all blue and red won't pop against the green field the way that players with a contrasting color will. That's how camouflage works - by blurring the edges to fool the eye.

So since it got lost in all of the douchebaggery, I'll repost this since I was kind of hoping for a reaction from people since there had been so much red helmet vs white helmet discussion.

Not sure what relocation has to do with a new uniform....

I don't know if this was mentioned because I kind of stopped paying attention once all the "Bills are moving!!" - "no they're not!!!" - "yes they are!!" garbage started, but it was confirmed on Uniwatch that the new helmet will be white, and that there will be at least a little navy in the mix.

Here's what I think the Bills are going to do:

bills_white.png

Mind everyone, this isn't what I think they should do, but based on the clues, I'm imagining something like this.

What makes you think that they're going to invert the colors on their logo?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Never said they would appear to be the exact same color. But because they have the same grayscale, players in all blue and red won't pop against the green field the way that players with a contrasting color will. That's how camouflage works - by blurring the edges to fool the eye.

Well, yeah but I didn't know we were talking strictly monochrome.

34y7eo5.jpg

You know what they say, "Traditionalist's can go die in a hole if they don't like it."

The fact that it looks much better this way with the navy outline and a red buffalo plays into the whole "incorporate the teams storied history while maintaining the signature charging buffalo logo" thing.

I guess we shall see come draft day.

The fact that it looks much better this way with the navy outline and a red buffalo plays into the whole "incorporate the teams storied history while maintaining the signature charging buffalo logo" thing.

I guess we shall see come draft day.

I get what you're saying about incorporating the team's history by using a red buffalo, but IMO your design really isn't a very appealing way of doing it. I could see maybe a solid red buffalo sans motion line, but not an inverted logo. IMO their current logo has reached iconic status, while the old logo has charming-nostalgic status.

I threw this together:

BuffaloBills_PropHRS1_12.png

I have absolutely no insight as to what is going to happen, but maybe something like this?

And no, I don't like those helmet stripes either.

Well they're keeping at least some navy, so my uneducated guess would be your helmet logo (navy outline) but with a navy facemask and navy-white-red-white-navy (or red-white-navy-white-red) stripes.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

For the longest time I never saw the eye of the Buffalo. I can't tell you what I thought that little hook underneath the horn was, but I thought their logo was just a faceless buffalo with a motion line ala the Lions' lion.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Why can't they just go back to the uniforms they had when they went to those 4 Super Bowls, and be done with it. Those are classics. And I'm nuts about the red helmets. (I have one myself.)

Probably because they're incredibly boring. The red helmets were the only thing that saved Super Bowl XXV from looking like an intrasquad game.

I threw this together:

I have absolutely no insight as to what is going to happen, but maybe something like this?

I would definitely prefer that one to the one I mocked up.

Why can't they just go back to the uniforms they had when they went to those 4 Super Bowls, and be done with it. Those are classics. And I'm nuts about the red helmets. (I have one myself.)

Probably because they're incredibly boring. The red helmets were the only thing that saved Super Bowl XXV from looking like an intrasquad game.

I threw this together:

I would definitely prefer that one to the one I mocked up.

Remember how the Lion's first black trimmed uni had thin black stripes at the outer edges of what was bascally the old pre-black-trim stripes patterns?

I'm picturing helmet and pants stripes like this:

Thin navy / medium royal / thickish red / medium royal / thin navy.

And the logo would be the same as current, but with a navy outline (and possibly some fill/detail) around the royal blue buffalo.

Numbers might be double outlined in red, then navy.

More compact sleeve stripes than the throwbacks, incorporating small outer navy stripes.

This keeps the navy in the uniform, but makes it fairly unobtrusive.

Of course I'm just pulling all this outta by behind, who really knows.

For the longest time I never saw the eye of the Buffalo. I can't tell you what I thought that little hook underneath the horn was, but I thought their logo was just a faceless buffalo with a motion line ala the Lions' lion.

Interesting that you mention the Lions - I think the Bills' "headshot buffalo" logo needs precisely the update Detroit gave theirs.

That's an eye? The buffalo has an eye? Well, I learned something today.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

That's an eye? The buffalo has an eye? Well, I learned something today.

I only just discovered it last summer while working on a Bills concept. I've seen that logo hundreds of times before and never saw it. I don't know how it finally dawned on me, but I guess I just figured it was some kind of facial defining shape prior to that.

It makes the logo decidedly less cool in my opinion. The (what I percieved as) faceless buffalo had a strong stoic quality that you'd expect from a buffalo. As soon as I recognized the eye I couldn't unsee his dull, dopey expression.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Archived