NFL Merry-Go-Round: Relocation Roundelay

duma

I used to think, like others, if the A's left the Coliseum, they could tear down everything that's not Mount Davis and build a new half on the other side. But Mt. Davis was built the same time as the Ed Jones Dome, so surely that wouldn't be acceptable to an NFL team today.

Well that and the fact that it has terrible sightlines. It was shoehorned into a space it didn't belong and it shows. The biggest problem for Oakland though is they're broke. They have approximately $0 to provide to the Raiders. And the Raiders aren't exactly flush with cash themselves if they're having to reduce season ticket prices to $250 bucks on the entire 3rd deck.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 9.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh great. Here we go again. What did I expect from a league that hates this city and manipulates us to whore other cities.

http://sports.yahoo....-000059874.html

Hey it works for them. LA has always acted as a good threat to get other cities to act. I'm sure once St. Louis and San Diego bend over and give their two teams everything they want the NFL will go back to officially being disinterested in an LA based team.

Oh great. Here we go again. What did I expect from a league that hates this city and manipulates us to whore other cities.

http://sports.yahoo....-000059874.html

Schizophrenia.jpg

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I don't know how much this could impact the Rams, but there are reports out of London that Kroenke might be facing a takeover bid for Arsenal:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/arsenal/9904640/Arsenal-poised-to-be-subjected-to-1.5bn-takeover-bid-from-Middle-East-consortium-within-the-next-few-weeks.html

As a season ticket holder, I'd be all for it. His ownership has been disastrous for the club.

I don't know how much this could impact the Rams, but there are reports out of London that Kroenke might be facing a takeover bid for Arsenal:

http://www.telegraph...-few-weeks.html

As a season ticket holder, I'd be all for it. His ownership has been disastrous for the club.

He kills everything he touches.

As the article states, the signs have been there for a while that the downtown deal was not of much interest to the NFL. The reports cited are likely in this very thread.

I love how Dodger Stadium keeps getting floated. What a mistake that would be... for the Dodgers, of course.

As the article states, the signs have been there for a while that the downtown deal was not of much interest to the NFL. The reports cited are likely in this very thread.

I love how Dodger Stadium keeps getting floated. What a mistake that would be... for the Dodgers, of course.

Meanwhile Industry is quietly still approved and ready to begin construction as soon as a team commits.

http://www.telegraph...-few-weeks.html

Did the EPL make sure these Arabs really exist? English football's success at that particular bit of due diligence is...mixed...at times.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

It's funny the excuse the NFL is giving LA this time. Everyone knew the construction costs were at $1 billion and increasing with every passing year, and it's now that the NFL is scared that Farmers Field won't turn over a profit and pay for the construction quickly? Sure there is the Industry plan, but c'mon; the league would prefer the new stadium in a gentrified downtown area, full of yuppies and upper class men and women, with access to serious glitz and cash. And it's now that the league is scared of AEG's plan? Give me a :censored:*ng break.

Also interesting how the NFL continues to be interested in a Dodger Stadium plan, knowing it's the oldest major ballpark west of the Mississippi, and of the :censored:ty parking system at the Ravine (especially getting into the stadium on sold out nights).

Yeah I hope Dodger Stadium stays and becomes a classic. The upgrades they're doing this offseason seem to be quite nice.

Would it be feasible to put an NFL stadium on the Chavez Ravine property with Dodger Stadium staying? I imagine parking garages would be needed and a light rail line.

"I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be." -Peter Gibbons

RIP Demitra #38

Would it be feasible to put an NFL stadium on the Chavez Ravine property with Dodger Stadium staying? I imagine parking garages would be needed and a light rail line.

http://espn.go.com/blog/los-angeles/nfl/post/_/id/523/o%E2%80%99malley%E2%80%99s-failed-nfl-bid-led-to-dodgers-sale

the worst helmets design to me is the Jacksonville jaguars hamlets from 1995 to 2012 because you can't see the logo vary wall

Yeah I hope Dodger Stadium stays and becomes a classic. The upgrades they're doing this offseason seem to be quite nice.

I think that's actually the plan. Dodger Stadium isn't going anywhere. Not with them working on the capital improvement project now.

As has been rumored by other sources, ESPN FC is reporting that Qatar Sports Investments - a division of Qatar Investment Authority - is partnering with Colony Capital on the latter's bid for AEG.

http://espnfc.com/ne...keover?cc=5901

If this partnership were to be successful in acquiring AEG, I don't believe construction of Farmer's Field would prove financially difficult for an entity with the State of Qatar's sovereign wealth fund at its potential disposal. The NFL would have to trot-out a reason besides it being "too hard for AEG to make money [and pay the debt on the stadium]" for backing-off from the downtown stadium project.

Also, Vincent Bonsignore of the Long Beach Press-Telegram has reported that "a source with intimate knowledge of the process indicated (on) Tuesday (that) talk is ongoing between AEG and league officials, and as recently as last month a prominent (NFL) owner was briefed about Farmers Field by the AEG team".

http://www.presstele...esnt?source=rss

Could it be that, if the Colony Capital/QSI bid for AEG is successful, NFL officials are less than enthusiastic about doing business with an entity that has significant foreign ownership interest. Or, as Bonsignore speculates, is the leak of NFL misgivings with AEG's Farmers Field plan all just part of elaborate negotiating tactics?

Stay tuned...

We shall see.

Interesting that Qatar would be interested in getting into this game. International football is a given; the financial structure allows the potential for massive profits, whereas revenue sharing and salary floors mean that the real profit in an NFL franchise comes when you sell it, not while you're operating it.

If true, I really hope their involvement doesn't bring out the latent streak of American xenophobia that certain elements of our political structure are prone to dabble in. We saw a tiny fraction of that ugliness when Shahid Khan bought the Jaguars, and all he wanted to do was give those fans a winning team. What would happen if an Arabic nation was in any way involved in a franchise being bought and moved?

What would happen if an Arabic nation was in any way involved in a franchise being bought and moved?

How many angels can dance on the head of a pin?

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

The Falcons and the city of Atlanta have come to a financing agreement for their new stadium. Public funds will be capped at $200 million.

We're in a different era as far as stadium financing goes, and that's why I don't expect the region of St. Louis to have to anti up more than about a third of the cost of their new stadium.

Once the CVC rejects the arbitration, that whole clause is gone and the Rams are in the exact same situation as the Falcons were. Free to explore stadium options where they choose. Like the Falcons, I think they find it near their existing home.

Anyways, my opinion is well-known, but thought the Falcons news added some more context to all the situations.

Archived