NFL Merry-Go-Round: Relocation Roundelay

duma

The Rams certainly are not a distant second in their own market (or did you mean to the Cardinals?). They own the greater St. Louis region.

However, it's a valid point that the regions just beyond the St. Louis one belong primarily to Bears and Chiefs fans. That's a tough hill to climb even if the Rams were an adequately run franchise, but they haven't been. They do appear to be now, though, and since Kroenke took over the Rams have placed a new and aggressive emphasize on expanding their fan base into those areas, so it'll be interesting to see if they have any luck grabbing a share of that over the next decade (it's obviously not an overnight thing).

Additionally, for a franchise that would want to play its cards close to the vest and keep their leverage, they've admitted at every turn since Kroenke took over that it's their fault the fan support hasn't been better. And as I alluded to before, they've invested in the market and the surrounding area like the Rams have never before.

I certainly understand where the spark of the idea of "could the Rams move?" comes from, but again, the idea that they're a much more serious candidate than some of these other franchises is premature at best, and perhaps even off-base.

• Replies 9.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, I meant the Cardinals.

We as fans often tend to view teams in the same city as being partners in our community, but they aren't. They're rivals, competitors for our attention and our dollars. Even those whose seasons aren't in direct conflict.

I can see the Raiders overtaking the A's and Warriors. I can also see the Chargers staking out their town over the hapless Padres, if they can ever get their act together. But I don't ever see a circumstance where Rams merchandise outsells Cardinal gear, or where St. Louis businesses view a Rams sponsorship as more valuable.

Fair enough, but I don't think being unable to beat out one of (note: just saying one of!) the biggest and hardcore fanbases in the country is much of a reason to move them.

If they're a successful organization, businesses will value their sponsorship highly, whether or not that's higher than the Cardinals. (I would think if the Cardinals were run as they were in the early 90s and were pitted against a Super Bowl contender Rams squad, it wouldn't be as unthinkable as you might, well, think, though.)

I do see your point, but I don't think it's about whether their numbers are beating the Cardinals (or someone else), it's about whether their numbers are (or when talking about a franchise that had been run so poorly, a better word would term would be "can be") good enough.

I'm pretty confident they can be, and I think the Rams think so too. Fair point that there's higher potential for that kind of support in LA, but the question will always be (until it's answered), does that outweigh the overhead cost (in dollars and the less tangible) of making that move?

Fair enough, but I don't think being unable to beat out one of (note: just saying one of!) the biggest and hardcore fanbases in the country is much of a reason to move them.

If they're a successful organization, businesses will value their sponsorship highly, whether or not that's higher than the Cardinals. (I would think if the Cardinals were run as they were in the early 90s and were pitted against a Super Bowl contender Rams squad, it wouldn't be as unthinkable as you might, well, think, though.)

I do see your point, but I don't think it's about whether their numbers are beating the Cardinals (or someone else), it's about whether their numbers are (or when talking about a franchise that had been run so poorly, a better word would term would be "can be") good enough.

I'm pretty confident they can be, and I think the Rams think so too. Fair point that there's higher potential for that kind of support in LA, but the question will always be (until it's answered), does that outweigh the overhead cost (in dollars and the less tangible) of making that move?

The Rams sticking around in St. Louis would also dictate a large amount of overhead for them, so I'm not sure the "moving to L.A. will force you to spend money" thing is valid.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

That's true, but the overhead costs of going to LA include not owning the stadium you're team will play in, potentially giving up a share of your team, alienating a lot of the people who help you do your day job so well, and any emotional hit Kroenke may or may not take from pissing on the major city he identifies with.

None of those are in line with how Kroenke generally does business. On the other hand, putting up money to develop something that pays off down the line... that's not abnormal for him at all.

Wish there was going to be any movement on this stuff soon, but I suspect we won't here anything of substance for about another year.

That's true, but the overhead costs of going to LA include not owning the stadium you're team will play in, potentially giving up a share of your team, alienating a lot of the people who help you do your day job so well, and any emotional hit Kroenke may or may not take from pissing on the major city he identifies with.

The man married a Walton and has business interests and money throughout the country. I suspect you are severely overrating the pull of Mother St. Louis and how much Kroenke cares about public opinion.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Bringing it back to Los Angeles for a minute...it looks like Phil Anschutz is going to keep AEG, and resume a more active role in the company. Him staying on-board could very well salvage the Farmers Field project.

http://www.latimes.com/business/money/la-fi-mo-aeg-sale-halted-anschutz-company-to-retain-ownership-of-staples-center-20130314,0,6195980.story

Bringing it back to Los Angeles for a minute...it looks like Phil Anschutz is going to keep AEG, and resume a more active role in the company. Him staying on-board could very well salvage the Farmers Field project.

http://www.latimes.c...0,6195980.story

I thought Leiweke was the one pushing the Farmers Field project, not Anschutz. Because it looks like Leiweke is out now that Anschutz is staying.

Was just going to pose that question. With Lieweke out, is this a positive or negative development (for LA).

Yeah looking back at this thread and other articles it was Leiweke who was the major proponent of the LA football stadium within AEG. Not Phil and not Beckerman (who apparently is a bean counter). Seems to me this likely just put the final stake through the AEG led downtown LA stadium project. If LA is going to be a threat it'll have to be Roski's plan (which has apparently hit some funding snags of its own due to redevelopment being killed off in Cali) or the fantasyland NFL led idea of doing it at Chavez Ravine.

All in all great news for Rams, Raiders and Chargers fans. Particularly the latter two since neither has shown any interest in Roski's plan unlike the Raiders who have, and for the Chargers in that the NFL reportedly still wants them in San Diego, not LA.

This ESPN article on AEG no longer being for sale indicates this is a good thing for Farmers Field. Here's a quote from Beckerman about Farmers Field.

"Phil's active re-engagement in the operations of the company has brought a renewed spirit and passion to the management team's focus on AEG's next steps," Beckerman said in a statement. "Priority projects going forward include the development of Farmers Field adjacent to our L.A. Live campus and the pursuit of our plan to bring the NFL back to Los Angeles."

This ESPN article on AEG no longer being for sale indicates this is a good thing for Farmers Field. Here's a quote from Beckerman about Farmers Field.

"Phil's active re-engagement in the operations of the company has brought a renewed spirit and passion to the management team's focus on AEG's next steps," Beckerman said in a statement. "Priority projects going forward include the development of Farmers Field adjacent to our L.A. Live campus and the pursuit of our plan to bring the NFL back to Los Angeles."

Interesting since Phil hasn't been involved in the project previously. Wonder if he got the memo that the NFL wasn't interested...

LA Times seems to think this is the end of the stadium as well despite Beckerman's statement. Guess Leiweke has already blown $45 million of Phil's cash on the stadium so far which could very well be why he's pounding pavement now. Also came out that AEG previously made an offer for the San Diego Chargers, specifically a low ball offer of $249 million for roughly 49% of the franchise and a Right of First Refusal to buy it if the Spanos family ever sold the majority. AEG justified the low number because they'd be allowing the team to play rent free in their privately funded $1.8 billion dollar stadium. That must be the deal the NFL didn't go for and what turned them sour on the whole plan to begin with.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/sportsnow/la-sp-sn-aeg-nfl-in-la-20130314,0,1108359.story

A little tidbit on the Jags. They are again selling season tickets at a record pace. They already expect no blackouts again this year. Which has become the expected since 2010.

"We’re also off to a record start on season ticket sales in Jacksonville even though we have raised prices and had a 2-14 season. We expect to have record season ticket sales. It’s about engaging the season ticket holders and doing a lot with the gameday experience. We redid the locker rooms last year. We’re spending more money on the weight room. We’re moving forward now with getting the state to upgrade the stadium with a big scoreboard, the biggest in the business. We’re getting state and local support on that, which is very encouraging."

Great article all around. Forbes loves Khan.

I'm still biting my lip and waiting for some form of a competitive element to be displayed on the field. That is what is going to save the team here in Jacksonville ... not engaging the fan base. I love what Khan & Co. have done this off-season with making sure they stay in the spotlight and interact with the fans, but all of that is only going to go so far. Wins on the field puts butts in the seats long term.

fP8H4Wf.jpg

What does upgrading the locker room and weight room have to do with engaging the fans and upgrading the game day experience?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

What does upgrading the locker room and weight room have to do with engaging the fans and upgrading the game day experience?

He wasn't using those as example of the improved gameday experience. He was just listing improvement he done to the franchise. Like engaging with fans, improving the gameday experience (new video board, speakers, and various other stadium experiences noticed by the fans) as well as other stadium investments like a new locker room. He has done a lot.It is nice to have one of the richest owners in the league as your owner. Im not use to that in the sports world. It makes it easier to invest in season tickets that is for sure. And that is what he is saying. The fans see he is putting money in this thing,

Archived