NFL Merry-Go-Round: Relocation Roundelay

duma

Well, it isn't going to be the Jags going anywhere (more than likely). They and the city just agreed to $63 million in renovations to the stadium in Jacksonville. I haven't investigated who's paying for what and how it effects the lease (though we already know they have a pretty solid lease), but I don't see them pulling up roots after this.

If you're a believer that the LA is absolutely going to get a current NFL team, the options are basically the Chargers, the Rams, perhaps the Bills, and none has given any real indication they're interested in moving to LA. The Chargers have shown interest in LA, but not the point of desiring a move, yet. The Rams are 2 years from being able to move, and the Bills are however long Ralph Wilson has left before facing their uncertainty.

The Bucs were mentioned as a candidate to move to London if that's even a real option (I'm a doubter), but I think that was mostly because of Glaser. Despite poor attendance, I don't think there's much thought they'd head to LA.

As mentioned, there's been no update to the Rams situation. The only thing of note at all is that the CVC recently paid the Rams $2 million in legal fees for the arbitration hearings as they were required.

• Replies 9.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Still waiting to see what happens with that.

The Bucs were never a serious contender to move to London, even if such a thing existed (which it doesn't). The Jags still have a inside track on that, and could keep Jacksonville as a second home. But we'll have to see how this news affects their lease.

I just think that, with the time difference and all, a London team might have to do long multi-city road trips (like the Packers used to do in the winter, ending every December with multiple games in California). That might mean a US base of operations while they spend a month or so Stateside.

Frankly, the whole plan is so silly I'm not sure it's worth that level of analysis.

The plan is very silly. However, Goddell said many times that they'd love to have a team in London some day, and recently there was the story where a league source said it's one of their top priorities. It is really, really dumb, but it seems like the NFL is hellbent on going through with it.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

And here is a quick writeup about the planned changes to the stadium in Jax.... LINK

Key points:

• new scoreboards in each endzone, largest in world
  • new sideline video boards
  • new video boards in South endzone
  • new video displays over the entrance tunnels
  • new display in North endzone terrace area
  • new state of the art scoreboard control room
  • new North endzone terrace area; unique food & bverages, pools, and interactive activities
  • new terrace area will require removal of about 7,000 seats (currently covered by tarps) in the North endzone
  • bill is roughly $63 million ... city is on the hook for $36.4m ... team is eating $26.5 and responsible for any cost overruns.

For those not interested in the actual article .... PICTURES!

The South endzone, showing off the new scoreboard...

20130619-stadium-2.jpg

The North endzone, showing off new boards and activities terrace...

20130619-billboards.jpg

Combine all of that with the news that Khan is looking into buying and developing a large chunk of land on the riverbank, and his loaning of cash to others to snatch up property downtown, as a pretty solid indicator of his purposes with the team. But I still have to temper my expectations... if the team continues to struggle and the fans don't buy the tickets .. eventually every good business man knows he has to cut a sinking ship loose. We aren't there yet, but I think it is something that almost every team and every fan in the league needs to remember. Very few teams in the league are really and truly "safe".

fP8H4Wf.jpg

Historic African-American Church demands quite the chunk of change to move for Atlanta Stadium.

I don't blame them, it looks to be a nice building and is historic because both Spelman and Morehouse started there, not just because it's old.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Apparently, to this point anyways, the city of Jacksonville's contribution is $43 million, and evidently the Mayor announced this agreement without actually having a financial plan, well planned, or approved by the city council. I'm sure they'll figure it out. They seem concerned more than worried. But in light of all the Glendale stuff, it's interesting.

Also I should point out—and the corrected number was reported by theSLVRBCK a couple posts up—I had the original cost of renovations wrong. I thought it was $163 million when really it's just $63 million.

That's a pretty significant difference in how I interpreted it. I think it clearly shows Khan's intentions are not to leave Jacksonville, but it's also not quite the amount of investment that brings with it tons of security either. Can't see them moving in the short-term, but if attendance were to drop and stay down again, questions could arise again in 5-10 years, I suppose.

Well, other than a select few, all fan bases, need to be given one thing above all else, and that's wins. Like in the other aspects of his management, Khan seems to have that as a priority and is making what appear to be good decision to get things there. But until they do, all the privately funded stadium amenities in the world wouldn't (and really shouldn't) guarantee a great fan response.

But, since the effort is there from Khan, hopefully anything at or above "competitive" will generate that response.

In other news, if you're itching for a Rams update, here's something that could qualify.

Andy Strickland, who is a sports reporter based in St. Louis that primarily covers hockey but dabbles in other sports, tweets this:

Source...MO Gov. Jay Nixon has taken the lead over the Mayor, County Executive, & CVC regarding overall future of #rams

Strickland has a mixed reputation because he can get speculative, but I, personally, have always felt pretty confident in his reporting. But that's mainly as it concerns the Blues. Not sure of his sources for this sort of information.

In any case, if it's true, this is how I would interpret it:

Things aren't progressing much between the city (the Mayor, his sidekick, and the CVC), or perhaps they just haven't begun working towards any progress at this point. The Mayor hasn't said too much on the issue other than citizens will get to vote on any public funds. His sidekick seems relatively okay with the idea of losing the Rams. The CVC seems to want to keep the Rams but hasn't expressed much on what they think is doable.

Meanwhile, the Governor is known to be a huge sports fan and a proponent of their impact in their markets. To my knowledge he hasn't said much about the stadium situation specifically, but it's a pretty safe assumption that he'll make it a priority to get a deal done.

So from my perspective it's bad news followed by good news with maybe a net gain of a positive. Bad news is talks aren't good now. Good news is they're now in the hands of someone more likely to make those talks good.

All of that said, that's an awful lot of interpreting from a single tweet that may or may not even be accurate. And it certainly raises the question of how exactly the Governor would have any actual power to step into this situation.

Anyways, figured it was some sort of development.

The plan is very silly. However, Goddell said many times that they'd love to have a team in London some day, and recently there was the story where a league source said it's one of their top priorities. It is really, really dumb, but it seems like the NFL is hellbent on going through with it.

NFL, you have your own potential Glendale Coyotes here with the thought of a London NFL team. Don't take the carrot!

NFL, you have your own potential Glendale Coyotes here with the thought of a London NFL team. Don't take the carrot!

Interesting that LA has fallen by the wayside for London.

What's Jay Nixon's game? Is he planning on running for Senator in 2016?

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Well. Emphasis on "the".

Most of major American cities show us what happens when sports is a priority. Which is more in line with the admittedly general picture I painted of Nixon's

Whether it ought to be or not is debatable, but I think it's a little disingenuous to suggest every situation in which civil servants make having or retaining a major pro sports team will automatically devolve into the Glendale/Coyotes saga.

Glendale should serve as a warning that there must be other more important priorities and that their must be a line drawn. It doesn't mean and hasn't meant the end of civil partnerships with private sports teams (although we are seeing a shift in the level of those partnerships in most cases).

I wonder what NFL team the city of Anaheim is kissing up to theses days. Raiders, Chargers, Cowboys? Not because of moving but who they are supporting while watching Sunday Ticket.

According to the Facebook map, which is about as "scientific" of an answer as you'll get, Anaheim and Orange County are tending to favor the Chargers these days.

themostaccuratenflfandommapevercreated.png

Archived