NFL Merry-Go-Round: Relocation Roundelay

duma

If the Raiders can't afford (which is different from don't want) to put money into it, and they're not sure where the public funds, on which the NFL funds are dependent, will come from, does this project—or any other Raiders stadium project—even have a chance?

In a word?

No.

• Replies 9.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Raiders are hugely influential and enjoy slavish devotion yet have no money. Are they the indie-est team in sports?

I think what we're seeing is that the Raiders really aren't that popular as a football team particularly in the Bay Area. What they are popular as, is a merchandising brand for thugs and the like. But their low team value in the recent Forbes lists, the fact the don't have a majority of fans in any Bay Area County (even Alameda Co.), and the fact they've now had to shrink their current and future stadia all belay the fact the Raiders really aren't all that "big" of a team where they are now.

Power of brand, I guess. People wear the hat because of it's look but don't really care the team exist. What other teams are like that?

Ironically enough, the Oakland A's. I see more A's hats around but when you say "Go A's" or "Go Oakland" to the people wearing them they stare at you and wonder what you mean.

If the Raiders can't afford (which is different from don't want) to put money into it, and they're not sure where the public funds, on which the NFL funds are dependent, will come from, does this project—or any other Raiders stadium project—even have a chance?

In a word?

No.

Pretty much. The Raiders situation right now is the epitome of "going through the motions". The city and team can't afford to build a new stadium in Oakland. Yet they need to do so. The city leaders need to make it look like they tried for political reasons. And the team needs to make it look like they tried to justify the forthcoming move be it to Santa Clara or to LA both to their fans and to the league.

Basically the Raiders learned the lesson of watching what the A's are going through. You have to make it look like you tried or you'll get a rash and a :censored: from the fans, the media, and your own league (though obviously the NFL can't give them as much trouble as MLB has given the A's).

The Raiders are hugely influential and enjoy slavish devotion yet have no money. Are they the indie-est team in sports?

I think what we're seeing is that the Raiders really aren't that popular as a football team particularly in the Bay Area. What they are popular as, is a merchandising brand for thugs and the like. But their low team value in the recent Forbes lists, the fact the don't have a majority of fans in any Bay Area County (even Alameda Co.), and the fact they've now had to shrink their current and future stadia all belay the fact the Raiders really aren't all that "big" of a team where they are now.

Power of brand, I guess. People wear the hat because of it's look but don't really care the team exist. What other teams are like that?

Brooklyn Nets.

I can't help but feel that part of the problem for the Raiders when it comes to generating support is the fact that that team sucks, and has done for a decade. They haven't had a winning season since their Super Bowl run of '02; find a way to field a contender and there's a possibility that all the latent interest in the Raiders converts into extra fans.

I mean I know EVERY team that sucks could extend their fanbase by fielding contenders but honestly with the Raiders I think there's way more 'passive interest' to be played on than there is with, say, the Jaguars.

1 hour ago, BringBackTheVet said:

sorry sweetie, but I don't suck minor-league d

CCSLC Post of the day September 3rd 2012

Is he moving Cowboys training camp back to Oxnard?

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

And that article doesn't say anything we haven't heard for the last 20 years.

LA will get a team when it builds a stadium, but it won't build a stadium until it gets a team. So we're stuck in this eternal loop of talking about it, and as a SoCaler, it's frustrating and frankly annoying to see these things written because its all crap. We're just as close to getting a team back in LA as we've always been.

I'll believe it when a team finally plays a game.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

What you should say "is which are legitimately ABLE to move."

Clearly the Raiders and the Chargers aren't ready to move, and we don't really know the Rams intentions (and to be honest, they're not able to move yet anyways).

Also, Goodell has talked out of both sides of his mouth as it pertains to expansion. That article says he said they won't. Previously he's implied they will. We'll see.

I still think at least one expansion team is most likely given the nearly billion dollar fee they can probably charge.

Strangely enough, I'd say that there's truth to Jerry Jones' statement. Did we need a news story out of it? Not really. But with the stadium situation compounded by Mark Davis' financial issues, I don't think we've been as close to witnessing a team agreeing to be bought out by Ed Roski and moving to LA as we are now. Granted, we're still a failed Oakland stadium referendum and a failed Levi's Stadium tenancy away from seriously seeing the return of the Los Angeles Raiders, but even at this point moving to Los Angeles appears to be the most financially reasonable option. I really don't see how the Raiders benefit from moving in with the 49ers, and given the economic situation of Oakland, even a new small-capacity stadium has a near-zero chance of happening.

What you should say "is which are legitimately ABLE to move."

Clearly the Raiders and the Chargers aren't ready to move, and we don't really know the Rams intentions (and to be honest, they're not able to move yet anyways).

I gladly accept your correction. That is indeed what I meant.

We have three teams contractually able to move within the next couple years, all of which are in old, inadequate stadiums and at least two of which (I'm not up on the Chargers) also have had problems drawing fans.

This is indeed a new situation; we haven't been here before vis-a-vis potential LA relocation.

Hope I didn't come off too badly with that, Goth. I made a point not to quote you and "fix" your post. (I can't stand that.)

While it can be argued not having blackouts doesn't prove much, I think having blackouts does prove something, and the Chargers are probably just behind the Bucs in blackouts the last few years. So they are indeed struggling with attendance.

We're certainly not in the "same old, same old." Yet, we're also not to a point where something is imminent. The landscape has changed, but we still don't know where it's going.

I have retired from caring about the NFL and thus have also retired from caring about the Rams moving back to Los Angeles. I figure whatever goes on wherever to get or keep a team will be so disenchanting and crappy that it's best not to have any skin in the game.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I have retired from caring about the NFL and thus have also retired from caring about the Rams moving back to Los Angeles. I figure whatever goes on wherever to get or keep a team will be so disenchanting and crappy that it's best not to have any skin in the game.

Yeah, but this is the NFL. No other league allows for the same level of vertical mobility. So no matter what team you get, the possibilities will only be limited by the ability of the people running it.

(Better hope it's not the Chargers)

Hope I didn't come off too badly with that, Goth. I made a point not to quote you and "fix" your post. (I can't stand that.)

Neither can I.

I took your comment in the way it was obliviously intended - constrictive to the conversation. No worries there, you came off very well.

Archived