NFL Merry-Go-Round: Relocation Roundelay

duma

• Replies 9.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Funny, I read somewhere that somebody bought the land of the old L.A. Sports Arena and wants to convert it to a 20,000 soccer-specific stadium.

You did not read long enough.

Nobody bought the land.

USC has a 98-year lease on both the Coliseum and Sports Arena properties and has been thinking of a soccer stadium development on the Sports Arena land as they control parking with a deal with the California Science Center and they do not want to compete with their own on-campus Galen Center for such indoor events.

• 2 weeks later...

So the Jaguars tried to raise their dismal attendance by offering two free beers with tickets last Sunday, and still couldn't bring in more fans.

If my calculations are correct, they're just over the blackout mark, at 88% capacity for their first two games even with whole sections of the stadium tarped off. That's good for

That's why they remain in the relocation conversation. Only St. Louis, Tampa Bay and Oakland are worse so far this season, and two of those are also very much in the mix.

I feel for the fans - this is truly an awful franchise - but they aren't giving Khan as much time as I hoped they would to turn it around. He seems to be doing his part, but they aren't doing theirs.

So the Jaguars tried to raise their dismal attendance by offering two free beers with tickets last Sunday, and still couldn't bring in more fans.

If my calculations are correct, they're just over the blackout mark, at 88% capacity for their first two games even with whole sections of the stadium tarped off. That's good for

That's why they remain in the relocation conversation. Only St. Louis, Tampa Bay and Oakland are worse so far this season, and two of those are also very much in the mix.

I feel for the fans - this is truly an awful franchise - but they aren't giving Khan as much time as I hoped they would to turn it around. He seems to be doing his part, but they aren't doing theirs.

But did the Jaguars actually lower their blackout threshold? My understanding is that the NFL made it somewhat unappealing to do so.

If they do that, we'll know just how pathetic the fan situation down there is.

Signing a mediocre quarterback solely for his marketing value, over the objections of the people paid to evaluate personnel, is only a half-step removed from giving up altogether. It would be a desperate act, a Hail Mary pass that, if it fails, we could well look back on as a turning point where Khan gave up on Jacksonville.

http://nesn.com/2013/10/report-tim-tebow-could-sign-with-jaguars-will-have-a-shot-at-making-team/

“The NFL’s worst team may just be throwing a Hail Mary,” Owens writes. “According to our Jaguars leaker, the team is going to give Tim Tebow a shot to recapture his dream of playing quarterback once again.

“Our source tells us the Jaguars realize Tebow can only help merchandise and ticket sales, and will bring a major surge in interest to the Jaguars. This is not a football move as much as it’s a financial move, says our insider.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Archived