NFL Merry-Go-Round: Relocation Roundelay

duma

Surprised that no one posted this yet:

Goodell on L.A., London: I want Both (ESPN Link)

It seems that the NFL is hellbent on getting a stadium at Chavez Ravine, and they'll get it sooner or later. Also, the league is hellbent on London.

• Replies 9.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It seems that the NFL is hellbent on getting a stadium at Chavez Ravine, and they'll get it sooner or later.

Good luck to the NFL on that development. So long as Frank McCourt holds half-ownership of the parking lots surrounding Dodger Stadium, construction of a facility to house an NFL franchise in Chavez Ravine is a potential headache. Given that an NFL stadium in Chavez Ravine would have to be built on parking lot property, McCourt is going to have a seat at the table when it comes to said project. He was a nightmare for Major League Baseball officials to deal with, so there's no reason to believe he's going to be any easier for the National Football League to handle.

Also, it will be interesting to see how the gentrification of the nearby Echo Park and Silver Lake neighborhoods will impact future development of the land surrounding Dodgers Stadium. Slowly, but surely, housing stock in the neighborhoods is being purchased and renovated by increasingly well-heeled homeowners. If the NFL doesn't break ground on a Chavez Ravine stadium soon, the league may find it faces significant NIMBY opposition in the future.

Also, it will be interesting to see how the gentrification of the nearby Echo Park and Silver Lake neighborhoods will impact future development of the land surrounding Dodger Stadium. Slowly, but surely, housing stock in the neighborhoods are being purchased and renovated by increasingly well-heeled homeowners. If the NFL doesn't break ground on a Chavez Ravine stadium soon, the league may face significant NIMBY opposition in the future.

Nah, there will be no problem, as most of the new people moving there because of gentrification are incredibly apathetic. You'd put up a dog fight with the neighborhood had this been 30-40 years ago. Now, these yuppies moving in will gladly vote for development of any stadium if the pet project includes coffee shops, sushi houses, vegan and organic markets and kosher delis for them.

• 1 month later...

No, no the Rams are not having trouble selling tickets. Why do you ask?

http://www.stlouisrams.com/tickets/gofortwo.html

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

They're not even terrible anymore. They've graduated to mediocre.

...which is worse than "terrible," because while you suck enough not to contend for a postseason spot, you don't get the draft picks needed to contend again.

The franchise had 5 years to bank those. No more of that.

You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

• 1 month later...
Today, we are all otaku.

Let's go down Millennium Park/Grant Park/Museum Campus and count everything that's there:

- The Bean

- Cultural Center (across the street but hey)

- Pritzker Pavilion

- Millennium Station

- Art Institute

- bike paths/bridges

- softball fields

- tennis courts

- Petrillo Music Shell

- Northerly Island

- Buckingham Fountain

- Field Museum

- Shedd Aquarium

- Adler Planetarium

- Spaceship Parthenon for Granny Pigskin's Family Business And Sh-t Else

Isn't it worth noting that you have all this public space or cultural institutions that serve the public good, and then a big ugly thing that just separates money from loudmouths eight times a year? It's gross in that sense without even delving into the aesthetics. It doesn't belong there. And no, I don't care that it hosts friendlies against the Polish national soccer team, too.

I know this was months ago, but I've not looked at this thread in a long time and so today this became easily the biggest laugh I've ever had on these boards. I'd totally steal it when discussing the Vikings stadium around here, but I don't think I could use it with a straight face.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Wonder how many people in LA still watch and follow the Rams in comparison to say the Raiders.

No idea. Do the Raiders have any claim on the television market, or is it truly wide open? I know the Raiders have team stores in LA (or at least did when I lived there, and at least one last time I visited about five years ago).

But those TV numbers can't help the team in its negotiations. The Rams can't show any significant reason to spend public dollars on the team, and the city fathers can't be thinking that they'll face a huge backlash for letting them leave.

I don't know if they have an official claim, but Rams and Raiders preseason games are aired down here. Also when there isn't an obvious national game or Charger game to show, we'll get the Raiders or Cowboys, not the Rams as much.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULB | USMNT | USWNT | LAFC | OCSC | MAN UTD |

Wonder how many people in LA still watch and follow the Rams in comparison to say the Raiders.

No idea. Do the Raiders have any claim on the television market, or is it truly wide open? I know the Raiders have team stores in LA (or at least did when I lived there, and at least one last time I visited about five years ago).

But those TV numbers can't help the team in its negotiations. The Rams can't show any significant reason to spend public dollars on the team, and the city fathers can't be thinking that they'll face a huge backlash for letting them leave.

Assuming the team wants to stay in St. Louis.

Today, we are all otaku.

I don't know if they have an official claim, but Rams and Raiders preseason games are aired down here. Also when there isn't an obvious national game or Charger game to show, we'll get the Raiders or Cowboys, not the Rams as much.

I know Raiders preseason games are aired on KTLA-5, but I don't think we get any Rams games at all. I think KCBS-2 does all Charges games for the preseason.

As for the regular season, this market is relegated to the Chargers rules, so their games get top priority here, unless the case of a blackout applies. But unlike in San Diego or other markets, where when the local team plays, the opposing network airing another game at the same time is blacked-out, the LA market airs all the top games of the week, playing concurrently at the same time. Hence why most of the time, the games shown here are announced by the broadcast teams of Buck/Aikman and Nantz/Simms.

Archived