NFL Merry-Go-Round: Relocation Roundelay

duma

It's that brilliant line of thinking that put an NFL team in Jacksonville so that teams could threaten to move to Baltimore.

The difference is that there aren't teams moving other places right now, so it works.

Still, I'm not sure what's true. I think it's a combo of a few things, but I'm not sure how much of what.

• The owners of the teams in an unstable situation (Rams, Raiders, Chargers, and Jags) have shown no desire to move to LA or anywhere else and in some cases have said as much.

• The league is not fully satisfied with the stadium options in LA and is still pursuing a better deal.

• The league may not want any team to move to LA, instead using it as leverage for the teams in the current homes and eventually choosing the expansion route.

So we could have a new team with ugly puke uniforms and neon colors? I hope we have an expansion team with brighter blue or emerald or midnight green helmets! None of this two tone crap with Jacksonville!

• Replies 9.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I feel like the NFL is just toying with LA, more than usual, I mean. We have TWO good stadium options with one of them ready to break ground as soon as they have a commitment from a team (among other things).

Seriously, why does the NFL not want a team in the second largest market in this country?

Because the league is hellbent on absolute greed for its owners and will stop at nothing to acquire more of it. And for the last two decades, using Los Angeles as the dangling carrot has done more to aid owners than anything else I can think of (well, maybe except those TV contracts).

I would have thought that we'd be approaching a limit of growth of using Los Angeles as bait for other cities (when all 32 NFL teams would have shiny new stadiums built since the Rams and Raiders left), but if Arthur Blank can cry woe for a stadium built in 1991, what makes you think any other owner wouldn't cry woe for their stadium post-1995? How long until I hear that "Heinz, the Linc, Jerry's World, Lucas and Gillette are considered "obsolete" and their owners demand a newer, shinier, billion-dollar megastadia funded by taxpayers, or the team gets relocated to Los Angeles?" Wouldn't be surprised if it was very soon.

The league may not want any team to move to LA, instead using it as leverage for the teams in the current homes and eventually choosing the expansion route.

The only problem with that is that 32 is a perfectly symmetric number of teams to have. It fits the division formats evenly and provides a more smooth scheduling scheme. Having 33 or even 34 teams can throw things off-course, from uneven divisions to diluted play and to expanding the number of bye-weeks in the regular season.

And there's also another split in the owner's revenue sharing.

I know I was making cracks about nobody being in the EJD during the Jaguars game a couple of weeks back because of a Cardinals road playoff game starting a half hour before the Rams-Jags ended, but.....

Next Monday the Seahawks are coming to St. Louis.

The Rams season has functionally ended.

First pitch in the (if necessary) Game 5 of the World Series in St. Louis is slated for roughly 40 minutes before kickoff.

Currently setting the O/U on butts in seats at 30,000. And that assumes the Rams just show the Cardinals game on all of the video boards.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Bad playing surface is an easy fix. What about the concourses is bad? And ugly is subjective.

On another topic, interesting news out of Industry down in SoCal. The city is beginning $172 million in site prep, grading and infrastructure upgrades for Ed Roski's oft forgotten stadium plan starting in January. And while this doesn't guarantee a team is coming, it has to give Raiders fans in particular pause given it is Roski that both Al and now Mark Davis have had the most contact with in LA. And it is Roski's plan that is the path of least resistance to an LA area stadium coming to fruition.

http://www.dailynews.com/general-news/20131019/industry-plans-to-start-grading-for-potential-nfl-stadium-site

I know I was making cracks about nobody being in the EJD during the Jaguars game a couple of weeks back because of a Cardinals road playoff game starting a half hour before the Rams-Jags ended, but.....

Next Monday the Seahawks are coming to St. Louis.

The Rams season has functionally ended.

First pitch in the (if necessary) Game 5 of the World Series in St. Louis is slated for roughly 40 minutes before kickoff.

Currently setting the O/U on butts in seats at 30,000. And that assumes the Rams just show the Cardinals game on all of the video boards.

Those are pretty much the facts of it. You already know I have trouble passing judgement on that. Not sure if others agree. An overhyped disappointing Rams team, which is annually awful, lost the only irreplaceable piece they had.

And the baseball team that everyone already gives benefit of the doubt priority to will be playing for a championship and could be playing to clinch a championship. Could be ugly in the dome. Not sure fans can be faulted.

All of that said, I'm sitting with two fantastic tickets that I won in a contest this summer to that MNF game. And now I kind of just want to cry about it. Because I don't see myself skipping a game I already have tickets, too, and I don't want to abandon the football team I love. But I'm not looking forward to the Kellen Clemens era, and um, World Series.

Also, I long ago committed to going to Indy for the Colts-Rams game in three weeks with my Colts fan girlfriend. Hooray for blowing $400 on a trip I no longer care to go on.

I hate you the NFL, I hate you. (For some reasons that are very valid and some that very much are not.)

Bad playing surface is an easy fix. What about the concourses is bad? And ugly is subjective.

On another topic, interesting news out of Industry down in SoCal. The city is beginning $172 million in site prep, grading and infrastructure upgrades for Ed Roski's oft forgotten stadium plan starting in January. And while this doesn't guarantee a team is coming, it has to give Raiders fans in particular pause given it is Roski that both Al and now Mark Davis have had the most contact with in LA. And it is Roski's plan that is the path of least resistance to an LA area stadium coming to fruition.

http://www.dailynews.com/general-news/20131019/industry-plans-to-start-grading-for-potential-nfl-stadium-site

Yes! It might be a reality!

This gives the Raiders/Rams/Jags no excuses.

97uyh0.jpg

Bruh check out my last.fm

And my Rate Your Music

Fantasy Teams: Seattle Spacemen (CFA)

Signature credit to Silent Wind of Doom

If the Soldier Field marsh were an easy fix, why haven't they fixed it?

The Bears should have something like Giants Stadium or FedExField, just a simple utilitarian bowl off somewhere where lots and lots of people can drive to games and tailgate and go back home. The lakefront doesn't need an ugly football stadium, one you don't want to drive to and can't take the trains to. Luckily, few have to, because good old Footballtown USA here has a smaller seating capacity than St. Louis and Jacksonville. The lakefront should be for arts and culture and public space. Soldier Field mostly just sits there doing nothing for anyone. What a big dumb waste.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Wait till the lease is over. Then maybe we can have New Soldier Field (or Soldier Field at Dunkin' Donuts Park).

Built with what money pray.....aw :censored: it Emperor Rahm I will privatize the rest of Chicago's school system to sacrifice education for a new Bears stadium.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Wait till the lease is over. Then maybe we can have New Soldier Field (or Soldier Field at Dunkin' Donuts Park).

Built with what money pray.....aw :censored: it Emperor Rahm I will privatize the rest of Chicago's school system to sacrifice education for a new Bears stadium.

What about private funding?

97uyh0.jpg

Bruh check out my last.fm

And my Rate Your Music

Fantasy Teams: Seattle Spacemen (CFA)

Signature credit to Silent Wind of Doom

Let's go down Millennium Park/Grant Park/Museum Campus and count everything that's there:

- The Bean

- Cultural Center (across the street but hey)

- Pritzker Pavilion

- Millennium Station

- Art Institute

- bike paths/bridges

- softball fields

- tennis courts

- Petrillo Music Shell

- Northerly Island

- Buckingham Fountain

- Field Museum

- Shedd Aquarium

- Adler Planetarium

- Spaceship Parthenon for Granny Pigskin's Family Business And Sh-t Else

Isn't it worth noting that you have all this public space or cultural institutions that serve the public good, and then a big ugly thing that just separates money from loudmouths eight times a year? It's gross in that sense without even delving into the aesthetics. It doesn't belong there. And no, I don't care that it hosts friendlies against the Polish national soccer team, too.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Archived