NFL Merry-Go-Round: Relocation Roundelay

duma

We have three teams contractually able to move within the next couple years, all of which are in old, inadequate stadiums and at least two of which (I'm not up on the Chargers) also have had problems drawing fans.

The Chargers' attendance situation has been horrible the past few years. Plenty of home blackouts, except when the Raiders come to town - then the trashiest, most classless Raider fans imaginable fill the stands at Qualcomm.

Granted, a lot of that has to do with the frustration that the fanbase had with AJ and Norv, as well as tone-deaf moments like the infamous "take a chill pill" article on the team website. For a while, it felt like Dean Spanos was doing everything possible to drive the fans away. Telesco and McCoy better get this team rebuilt on the right path or the Chargers will likely be in LA in a few years, IMO.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

• Replies 9.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Another factor in the Chargers' lack of progress with getting a new stadium built in San Diego (whether it be in the city or the suburbs) may also have to do with the legalities behind Petco Park being built. I remember reading something maybe around 2005 or '06 that the Spanoses would be willing to build the stadium on their own dime (at least $400 million), just so long as the city gave them the Qualcomm Stadium land.

I don't know how the 49ers were able to pull it off in getting some public money to get Levi's Stadium built, but we know it's hard as hell to get any public subsidy here in California for stadium/arena projects, especially now with a governor in place who's so indifferent to sports.

Is there a reason why they can't configure Petco for football?

You mean besides the fact it is a baseball only park that is in no way designed to hold a football field?

Actually there is. The Padres lease forbids ANY American football from being played at PETCO Park.

Actually there is. The Padres lease forbids ANY American football from being played at PETCO Park.

Wow. So that leaves the Chargers out there on their own.

97uyh0.jpg

Bruh check out my last.fm

And my Rate Your Music

Fantasy Teams: Seattle Spacemen (CFA)

Signature credit to Silent Wind of Doom

Another factor in the Chargers' lack of progress with getting a new stadium built in San Diego (whether it be in the city or the suburbs) may also have to do with the legalities behind Petco Park being built. I remember reading something maybe around 2005 or '06 that the Spanoses would be willing to build the stadium on their own dime (at least $400 million), just so long as the city gave them the Qualcomm Stadium land.

I don't know how the 49ers were able to pull it off in getting some public money to get Levi's Stadium built, but we know it's hard as hell to get any public subsidy here in California for stadium/arena projects, especially now with a governor in place who's so indifferent to sports.

The Niners were able to get public money even with a vote for one reason... Santa Clara. Unlike almost every other city in California (if not every city) Santa Clara is far from broke. In large part because Santa Clara has their own city owned utility company, Silicon Valley Power. Like most power companies it is a very profitable venture for the city and doesn't leave them or their citizens beholden to the big power companies like PG&E. So they had money to spare on a project like the Niners stadium. It also helped the team only wanted 100 million, not 400 million or more like other teams seem to be asking for of late.

Exactly, which is what teams want these days. No one shares stadiums between baseball and football anymore willingly. Qualcomm Stadium is actually not a bad venue for football either. In fact of all the multipurpose parks built in the 60's it was probably the most football friendly. And that's in part why the Chargers opted for a renovation of Qualcomm in the late 90's turning Qualcomm into even more of a football stadium than it already was from the start.

Exactly, which is what teams want these days. No one shares stadiums between baseball and football anymore willingly. Qualcomm Stadium is actually not a bad venue for football either. In fact of all the multipurpose parks built in the 60's it was probably the most football friendly. And that's in part why the Chargers opted for a renovation of Qualcomm in the late 90's turning Qualcomm into even more of a football stadium than it already was from the start.

Still, I think the Chargers are very likely to find a new stadium.

97uyh0.jpg

And my Rate Your Music

Still, I think the Chargers are very likely to find a new stadium.

Oh I agree. Eventually it'll happen in San Diego. Probably with whomever replaces the current mayor after he's removed from office due to his current sexual harrassment scandal which is keeping him preoccupied and quickly ending his political career.

By the way, is there a list of current NFL leases on the internet? I would appreciate it.

Oh I agree. Eventually it'll happen in San Diego. Probably with whomever replaces the current mayor after he's removed from office due to his current sexual harrassment scandal which is keeping him preoccupied and quickly ending his political career.

Do you think they'll go downtown or Chula Vista? Just asking, because I like questions.

97uyh0.jpg

And my Rate Your Music

By the way, is there a list of current NFL leases on the internet? I would appreciate it.

Do you think they'll go downtown or Chula Vista? Just asking, because I like questions.

Downtown, the current Qualcomm site or the current San Diego Arena site will be the ultimate landing place. The team tried Chula Vista years ago and it didn't work out.

I think that downtown would be cool, but I don't see where they'd put it.

If they go tear Qualcomm down, then the Chargers would need to find a temporary stadium, but where? PETCO won't allow them.

97uyh0.jpg

And my Rate Your Music

If they go tear Qualcomm down, then the Chargers would need to find a temporary stadium, but where? PETCO won't allow them.

There's several locations under consideration in downtown but the longtime favorite is just east of PETCO where the current Mission Brewery and a bus yard are just to the east of the Petco main tailgating lot. The other location the newspaper is pushing which is probably a non-starter is the 10th Ave Marine Terminal. At Qualcomm a stadium could be built without tearing down the existing stadium. The issue with that site is however the underground contamination from the nearby gas terminal which would have to be cleaned up before a new building could be erected.

Son, San Diego State also needs a place to play sine they signed a 10-year lease for Qualcomm with the City in 2009.

Son, San Diego State also needs a place to play since they signed a 10-year lease for Qualcomm with the City in 2009.

Brainfart??

97uyh0.jpg

And my Rate Your Music

• 3 weeks later...

I didn't hear it, but this is from an interview Rams Executive VP of Football Operations and COO Kevin Demoff on SiriusXM.

SiriusXM NFL Radio @SiriusXMNFL

Demoff said camp attendance is outstanding. Close to 2,500 to 3,000 fans for weekend sessions. Bigger local buzz around team this yr as well

#Rams begin yr-to-yr lease with Edward Jones Dome after 2014 season. Demoff said new stadium would take 5-7 yrs to iron out entire process

Demoff said talks with local officials will address whether Edward Jones Dome can be sufficiently upgraded or new stadium should be built

Demoff stressed most important thing right now is for #Rams to win. Obviously, that makes any stadium negotiations easier

I think that second one says a ton, although it's just in line with everything the Rams (through Demoff) have been saying for two years. Even though the Rams will have their freedom in two seasons, the Rams aren't making threats and are instead openly discussing a 5-7 year timeline (not deadline) for striking a deal (or maybe having construction finished).

Nothing is off the table, but it just doesn't appear the Rams have anything in their plans but figuring something out in St. Louis.

Son, San Diego State also needs a place to play since they signed a 10-year lease for Qualcomm with the City in 2009.

Brainfart??

Seriously? Did you forget that you asked why football can't be played at a baseball-only stadium...?

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Wait, Demoff is still saying the Rams are considering renovating the EJD? STLfanatic you credulous fool.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Archived