NFL Merry-Go-Round: Relocation Roundelay

duma

• Replies 9.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Im surprise no one posted this. Chargers in the beginning stages.

BTW, Weaver had said years ago he will be selling the team. Word around the campfire is he is about to sell the Jags to a very prominent Jacksonville family.

What constitutes a "prominent" Jacksonville family? There is not a north Floridian on the Forbes 400 of the nation's wealthiest people.

BTW, Weaver had said years ago he will be selling the team. Word around the campfire is he is about to sell the Jags to a very prominent Jacksonville family.

What constitutes a "prominent" Jacksonville family? There is not a north Floridian on the Forbes 400 of the nation's wealthiest people.

Fred Smith is my guess. Winn-Dixie owner. William Foley II is another guess. Rayioneer being my last guess.

Oh God no, I'd rather have anyone but the Chargers. Keep 'em in San Diego where they belong. I've been telling people which ever team moves to Los Angeles will instantly become my 3rd favorite team (behind the Cowboys #1, and Raiders #2) but that won't be the case if it's the Chargers.

Cowboys - Lakers - LAFC - USMNT - LA Rams - LA Kings - NUFC 

Other than Puck Daddy, Yahoo Sports is pretty solid. What the hell was that Bleacher Report thing they just published?

A privilege they grant to "friend of the program" tier yahoo members.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Oh God no, I'd rather have anyone but the Chargers. Keep 'em in San Diego where they belong. I've been telling people which ever team moves to Los Angeles will instantly become my 3rd favorite team (behind the Cowboys #1, and Raiders #2) but that won't be the case if it's the Chargers.

If they're not even gonna be either of your top 2 teams, then what the hell are you complaining about? You're not gonna be cheering for 'em anyway. I hate when people say, "it better not be this team cuz I'm not gonna cheer for them cuz, even though I'm a fan of 12 other team's, they'd be my 13th favorite if they were anyone else", as if they're the one person potential owners are looking at for a response out of before relocating a team.

If they're not even gonna be either of your top 2 teams, then what the hell are you complaining about? You're not gonna be cheering for 'em anyway. I hate when people say, "it better not be this team cuz I'm not gonna cheer for them cuz, even though I'm a fan of 12 other team's, they'd be my 13th favorite if they were anyone else", as if they're the one person potential owners are looking at for a response out of before relocating a team.

Take a step back and chill. I'm allowed to voice my own opinion. You are not the opinion-police.

You don't understand the hatred Raider fans have for the Chargers and the dislike between Los Angeles and San Diego (when it comes to sports and politics). Plus, think about how ludicrous it'd be for the Chargers to move into a city that once held their Arch-Rivals. And I know the Chargers started in Los Angeles but that was for only one season, plus who is the only franchise to bring a NFL title to Los Angeles? That'd be the Raiders.

EDIT: I'm not saying I want the Raiders back, because I don't. But, the more I think on it, I think that the best option for Los Angeles is to have both the Rams and Chargers move to LA. The Chargers only because if they agree in time they can break ground on Farmer's Field by June 2012 and have the Stadium to be ready in time for Super Bowl L, 2016.

Cowboys - Lakers - LAFC - USMNT - LA Rams - LA Kings - NUFC 

I still call the Eagles the Frankford Yellowjackets. Shoulda never left the Northeast.

Ummm... they've always been in the Northeast.

Ummm... Frankford is a section of Northeast Philadelphia, at one time, it's own borough. It's now the end of the El. The Eagles moved to North Philly when they started up in 1933, and have played in University City and now South Philadelphia .

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

You don't understand the hatred Raider fans have for the Chargers and the dislike between Los Angeles and San Diego (when it comes to sports and politics). Plus, think about how ludicrous it'd be for the Chargers to move into a city that once held their Arch-Rivals. And I know the Chargers started in Los Angeles but that was for only one season, plus who is the only franchise to bring a NFL title to Los Angeles? That'd be the Raiders.

Not true. The Rams brought an NFL title to Los Angeles in 1951. If you meant Super Bowl, you'd be correct, but that's ancient history. Who the hell in Los Angeles cares today that the LA Raiders won a Super Bowl and the LA Chargers didn't?

You think people in LA won't come to the Charger games, won't support the Chargers, because of some lingering Raiders aura? I sure don't. Given the choice between fading memories of silver and black and a team of their own, most Angelinos will choose the Chargers.

Sure, there are still some Raider fans in LA. There are Ram fans as well. But the vast majority of football fans are, I think, in play. New imports carry their own allegiances, but natives have had to borrow another city's team for too long. They'll flock to their own.

EDIT: I'm not saying I want the Raiders back, because I don't. But, the more I think on it, I think that the best option for Los Angeles is to have both the Rams and Chargers move to LA. The Chargers only because if they agree in time they can break ground on Farmer's Field by June 2012 and have the Stadium to be ready in time for Super Bowl L, 2016.

There I agree. The Chargers and Rams make the most sense. One from each conference, no realignment needed, and two teams get out of bad situations.

Looks like Goodell just pissed on AEG's parade. Basically came out and stated that the terms that AEG have been offering are unacceptable (the whole landlord-tenant plan_ to the league, which were terms wanted to make the project work. An independent source also indicated that if LA is going to happen the NFL is favoring Roski's plan more now since he's offering better terms and his site is more "NFL" friendly with it's massive parking lots and room for ancillary NFL/team owned development around it (think Gillette Stadium). So either they're souring on LA or they're souring on AEG as it stands right now.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=jc-cole_nfl_downtown_la_stadium_concerns_100611

No indication in that article that they're souring on LA.

The writer raises two main issues. The first is that AEG's other tenants (Lakers, Clippers and Kings) have turned over many operations to them. AEG sells the tickets, advertising and sponsorship deals for those teams, takes a cut and then pays the teams. No NFL club will agree to that, because no NFL club has to.

The second is that Anschutz wants to buy into the team at a discounted price. The team's value will instantly skyrocket the moment they move to LA, which means Anschutz will get getting tons of free equity. Again, no NFL club will give him such a sweetheart deal.

Interestingly, Roski's plan in Industry doesn't include either of those. I long thought he was the frontrunner for a team, looks like the NFL might agree.

So, will there be behind-the-scenes agreements for teams to come to LA once the stadium is built, or will a team or two move during construction and play somewhere in/around LA in the interim? If it's the latter, is there any indication if they would play in the Rose Bowl or the Colisseum? The Rose Bowl is a beautiful setting, but it's a kinda far from everything. The Colisseum is a piece of crap, but I believe it's right in the heart of LA.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

I don't think any team could sign a secret relocation agreement and then keep it quiet. All the teams are negotiating with their current cities, and they would either have to break off talks and spill the secret or continue to negotiate but in bad faith. Neither alternative is feasible.

I think either the Coliseum or Rose Bowl could work as a temporary venue, as long as there was already an exit strategy.

So, will there be behind-the-scenes agreements for teams to come to LA once the stadium is built, or will a team or two move during construction and play somewhere in/around LA in the interim? If it's the latter, is there any indication if they would play in the Rose Bowl or the Colisseum? The Rose Bowl is a beautiful setting, but it's a kinda far from everything. The Colisseum is a piece of crap, but I believe it's right in the heart of LA.

I don't think it'll be kept secret, it's just too big of a move and I think it'll be a combo of both proposals you present. Neither developer will build a stadium until a team indicates they're coming, in Industry or Downtown. And then after the team agrees construction will commence in Industry at least. Then the team would have to move move to one or the other of the two large stadiums you mentioned, the Coliseum or the Rose Bowl if just because no one involved will want a team playing a lame duck year or two in their previous city if avoidable. If not avoidable (say it's the Rams who are under lease for 2 more years) then they'll just have to lame duck it.

And Gothamite, I think AEG losing out and the NFL's objections to them would mean LA is losing out. Industry would be the beneficiary of course.

Archived