NFL Merry-Go-Round: Relocation Roundelay

duma

29 minutes ago, bosrs1 said:

And the Rams comparisons, and the Tampa Bay Lightning comparisons, etc... etc...

Still given the lunacy of the Chargers moving to LA where they're not wanted I don't think even the Gold on powder would have saved that logo.

That might have played into people's opinions of the logo more so than its actual design.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

• Replies 9.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was in LA in March and I so wanted to buy a bolt LA logo.

As it was, I didn't really see any sports merchandise for sale until I got to Staples Center for a Lakers game.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

2 hours ago, bosrs1 said:

And the Rams comparisons, and the Tampa Bay Lightning comparisons, etc... etc...

Still given the lunacy of the Chargers moving to LA where they're not wanted I don't think even the Gold on powder would have saved that logo.

The powder blue and gold would have negated the "it's the lovechild of the Lightning/Dodgers logos, they're copying the Rams!" criticisms. 

The move still would have been criticised but the logo wouldn't have taken the brunt of the mockery like it did had they released the powder blue and gold version first. 

As an aside, the jokes about the white and navy version degraded really quickly. The back and forth between the Lightning and Dodgers' Twitters was pretty funny but everyone else piling on was just that. Obviously piling on, with the jokes getting less and less funny as they went. 

8 hours ago, Ice_Cap said:

As an aside, the jokes about the white and navy version degraded really quickly. The back and forth between the Lightning and Dodgers' Twitters was pretty funny but everyone else piling on was just that. Obviously piling on, with the jokes getting less and less funny as they went. 

Yeah, but that's kind of how comedy works. 

Its like the the four people who still insist on making "Somewhere Somethings of Anaheim" jokes.  

18 hours ago, Ice_Cap said:

The powder blue and gold would have negated the "it's the lovechild of the Lightning/Dodgers logos, they're copying the Rams!" criticisms. 

The move still would have been criticised but the logo wouldn't have taken the brunt of the mockery like it did had they released the powder blue and gold version first. 

Guess it depends on where you are located. We couldn't get enough of the Chargers roasting in San Diego. Anything that lays bear just how inept the Spanos family is pleases folks around here.

1 hour ago, bosrs1 said:

Guess it depends on where you are located. We couldn't get enough of the Chargers roasting in San Diego. Anything that lays bear just how inept the Spanos family is pleases folks around here

Well it's not like you needed a blundered logo unveiling to roast the Chargers before. As a Pats fan and all ;)

16 minutes ago, Ice_Cap said:

Well it's not like you needed a blundered logo unveiling to roast the Chargers before. As a Pats fan and all ;)

Actually I considered the Chargers my second team until they moved being that they were my local team. Now... not so much.

And to be fair, no one I know who was a Chargers fan locally, is anymore. They've all jumped ship to the Niners, Raiders, and Seahawks,

Just out of curiosity, as my friend still has a Tampa Bay Mariners shirt, was/is there any merchandise for the L.A. Seahawks after their attempted move? I know it was later aborted, but did they start making merchandise in anticipation of the move being OK'd?

1 minute ago, bosrs1 said:

Actually I considered the Chargers my second team until they moved being that they were my local team. Now... not so much.

Dqt189l.png

2 minutes ago, bosrs1 said:

And to be fair, no one I know who was a Chargers fan locally, is anymore. They've all jumped ship to the Niners, Raiders, and Seahawks,

I suppose I can't say this any other way. I don't care. I feel for them. The team never should have moved. They were ripped off. That being said? I've never defined who I cheer for by what other people think, even those I'm sympathetic to.

And frankly? I get civic pride, but I'm not particularly keen on getting talked down to about this particular relocation as if I'm somehow wrong for not joining in on the reactive and Clevelan-after-LeBron-left-esque San Diegan reaction. My favourite football team made a very stupid decision by moving. That decision was also one that just wasn't going to impact my fandom. I can express my sympathies for San Diegans without artificially jumping on the anti-Chargers bandwagon just because that's the "in" thing.

And if a San Diegan takes issue with that? Ok, but I'm not keen on taking it from one who couldn't even bother to be a true Chargers fan when they were in town. A bit hypocritical on your part to come at me for my continued Chargers fandom post-move.

2 minutes ago, Ice_Cap said:

Dqt189l.png

I suppose I can't say this any other way. I don't care. I feel for them. The team never should have moved. They were ripped off. That being said? I've never defined who I cheer for by what other people think, even those I'm sympathetic to.

And frankly? I get civic pride, but I'm not particularly keen on getting talked down to about this particular relocation as if I'm somehow wrong for not joining in on the reactive and Clevelan-after-LeBron-left-esque San Diegan reaction. My favourite football team made a very stupid decision by moving. That decision was also one that just wasn't going to impact my fandom. I can express my sympathies for San Diegans without artificially jumping on the anti-Chargers bandwagon just because that's the "in" thing.

And if a San Diegan takes issue with that? Ok, but I'm not keen on taking it from one who couldn't even bother to be a true Chargers fan when they were in town. A bit hypocritical on your part to come at me for my continued Chargers fandom post-move.

I came at you for your continuing to be a Chargers fan?

Did I miss something here?

512fc31b5bb4d9752d519a22b062fc94.gif

Just now, bosrs1 said:

I came at you for your continuing to be a Chargers fan?

Did I miss something here?

512fc31b5bb4d9752d519a22b062fc94.gif

I'm just getting a bit sick of the "well YOU may be fine with it, but everyone in San Diego hates them because they're terrible."

I grew up in a Jewish family. I know a prime example of attempted guilt tripping and passive aggression when I see it ;)

5 minutes ago, Ice_Cap said:

I'm just getting a bit sick of the "well YOU may be fine with it, but everyone in San Diego hates them because they're terrible."

I grew up in a Jewish family. I know a prime example of attempted guilt tripping and passive aggression when I see it ;)

When did I ever tell you, "well you may be fine with it, but everyone in San Diego hate them because they're terrible?"

All I said was most in San Diego have relished watching the Chargers bumble their way into LA and that no Chargers fan I know personally remained so, which are both very much true. Nothing about that was directed at you personally.

If you don't like hearing those facts, well I don't know what to tell you. Your favorite team betrayed their home of 56 years, and shat on the residents of said city and their San Diego based fans. That being pointed out is going to happen, and keep being pointed out for a long time. Get used to it.

9 minutes ago, bosrs1 said:

If you don't like hearing those facts, well I don't know what to tell you.

:rolleyes:

9 minutes ago, bosrs1 said:

When did I ever tell you, "well you may be fine with it, but everyone in San Diego hate them because they're terrible?"

Seems every time you and I talk about this you resort to the same sentiments that, over time, have come off as passive aggressive to me.

You ask me why I'm a Chargers fan, and why the move from SD to LA isn't a deal breaker. I tell you. You go "well ok, I get it, but everyone in San Diego hates them now because the team ripped their hearts out." Paraphrasing, of course.

Then, later, we're talking about a logo rollout, specifically whether a different and less derivative colour scheme would have softened public opinion. And you make sure to go "but just so you know everyone in San Diego hates them now because the team ripped their hearts out." I mean it was relevant in the former conversation (barely), but here? Not at all. It was, after all, LA's reaction we were discussing. Not SD's.

So yeah. It's not "facts" I take issue with. It's the same sob story you're trudging up for whatever reason, one I have to assume is passive aggressive in nature. I both feel for San Diegans for losing the Chargers and at the same time? My reaction's finally at "I don't care."

2 minutes ago, Ice_Cap said:

:rolleyes:

Seems every time you and I talk about this you resort to the same sentiments that, over time, have come off as passive aggressive to me.

You ask me why I'm a Chargers fan, and why the move from SD to LA isn't a deal breaker. I tell you. You go "well ok, I get it, but everyone in San Diego hates them now because the team ripped their hearts out." Paraphrasing, of course.

Then, later, we're talking about a logo rollout, specifically whether a different and less derivative colour scheme would have softened public opinion. And you make sure to go "but just so you know everyone in San Diego hates them now because the team ripped their hearts out." I mean it was relevant in the former conversation (barely), but here? Not at all. It was, after all, LA's reaction we were discussing. Not SD's.

So yeah. It's not "facts" I take issue with. It's the same sob story you're trudging up for whatever reason, one I have to assume is passive aggressive in nature. I both feel for San Diegans for losing the Chargers and at the same time? My reaction's finally at "I don't care."

I asked you why you're still a Chargers fan? In what thread and context? I mean if I did in the context of an earlier discussion that's great. I don't particularly remember it. It's not like I'm purposely jabbing at you in particular. We post in a lot of the same threads. If you're taking it as a passive aggressive attack at you, let me reassure you, it's not. I don't particularly care if you're a fan of the Chargers still or not. That's your business.

Just now, bosrs1 said:

I asked you why you're still a Chargers fan? In what thread and context?

This thread, earlier. You asked why I was a Chargers fan being from Ontario.

1 minute ago, bosrs1 said:

I mean if I did in the context of an earlier discussion that's great. I don't particularly remember it. It's not like I'm purposely jabbing at you in particular. We post in a lot of the same threads. If you're taking it as a passive aggressive attack at you, let me reassure you, it's not. I don't particularly care if you're a fan of the Chargers still or not. That's your business.

My primary issue here is the dragging out of the "all of San Diego was ripped off and everyone should feel bad" stuff. Particularly where it's not warranted. We all acknowledge and agree on that part. I don't think I've seen a single person defend Dean Spanos in all of this. Not even from the NFL. And they usually circle the wagons to protect their own, regardless of how stupid they look doing it.

It's just that I'm not sure how SD's feelings are relevant concerning the LA marketplace's hypothetical reaction to a powder blue and gold Chargers LA logo.

1 minute ago, Ice_Cap said:

This thread, earlier. You asked why I was a Chargers fan being from Ontario.

My primary issue here is the dragging out of the "all of San Diego was ripped off and everyone should feel bad" stuff. Particularly where it's not warranted. We all acknowledge and agree on that part. I don't think I've seen a single person defend Dean Spanos in all of this. Not even from the NFL. And they usually circle the wagons to protect their own, regardless of how stupid they look doing it.

It's just that I'm not sure how SD's feelings are relevant concerning the LA marketplace's hypothetical reaction to a powder blue and gold Chargers LA logo.

Because we weren't just discussing LA's reaction to it? Not unless Tampa Bay suddenly became an LA suburb.

Just now, bosrs1 said:

Because we weren't just discussing LA's reaction to it? Not unless Tampa Bay suddenly became an LA suburb.

I don't think anyone in Tampa cared one way or the other. Not beyond the guy running the Lightning's Twitter making a pretty funny joke at the Chargers' expense.

12 minutes ago, Ice_Cap said:

I don't think anyone in Tampa cared one way or the other. Not beyond the guy running the Lightning's Twitter making a pretty funny joke at the Chargers' expense.

Fair enough. But people in San Diego do care. And will continue to comment on anything related to the ex-San Diego Chargers for a long time to come if it's at all tangentially related, particularly an issue of the Spanos' making asses of themselves. That happening is in no way related to or aimed at your fandom of the team. As you're not a local it really doesn't apply to you so don't take it that way.

• 3 weeks later...

A rain delay in SoCal?!?!  Preposterous!!!!! 

:P

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

Archived