In search of Larry O'Brien: 2015 NBA Playoffs

buzzcut

Thank your lucky starts Atlanta. That really sucks. It's not like the team was going to win anything, but the team hasn't been to a conference final since the 70's. Oh well.

I just happened to be watching the preliminary pre-game shoot-a-round (the one that takes place about 2.5 hours before the game...before the fans start entering the building) and saw this guy's hand. It looked like a grapefruit. Texted my girlfriend and she told me it was most definitely a broken bone or two. Didn't realize who it was or that he even got hurt in Game 1.

• Replies 944
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Then maybe the woman should have suplexed the man. What you're left with is a woman holding ice to her head and liking a new team under threat of more physical violence.

Sure, but when I first saw it... I didn't think domestic violence... not even close. I thought wrestling parody. I think that is one of the issues we have in society; people are constantly trying to find meaning or pulling unintended meaning out of stuff. Was it probably a bad time to do it - considering the Cleveland Abduction movies and books coming out? Yes. But again, I think there are certain people who try to find stuff to get upset about. I think this is one of those things.

After a few people freaked out... I can see how it can be misconstrued. He suplexed her. Again, it's not like he said "change your shirt, or else!" and its not like after he suplexed her, he stood over her yelling saying "you'll take that shirt off if you know what's good for you!" When you word it the way you word it, out of context, yes it sounds bad. But when you watch the video of them dancing and smiling and flirting... its a totally different meaning.

Is it worse than the Rockets/Mavericks tweet? Way worse. But that doesn't mean its egregious or disgusting.

The end with her changing her shirt and holding an ice pack was pretty grim. If they had ended with him hurling her out of the picture (or having her try to leap into his arms only for him to sidestep?), maybe it would have been okay. (If they're so in love, how did he not know she was a Bulls fan?) Also, the line-reading was excruciating; it would have been cringey no matter what.

It was bad, don't get me wrong, but the Deadspin crowd has always had it out for the Cavaliers organization, and I think that has to be taken into account a little bit.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Final thoughts on the Cavs video:

- It was clearly a Dirty Dancing parody; if you didn't get that you need to be more aware of the culture around you.

- It was more a fireman's carry or a bodyslam than a suplex.

- I don't think the Cavs went out to make light of domestic violence. But someone within the organization should have exercised some judgment after the iMovie encode was done.

- Deadspin doesn't actually like anything, right? With the exception of calling everything in international soccer beautiful, world-class and golazo, they don't actually much like anything that happens on a field. Angry tweets, strip club stories and dick pics though -- they're all over that. Poop too.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

I think they're much bigger NBA snobs than soccer snobs (and we need to acknowledge that NBA snobs have finally eclipsed both hockey and soccer snobs for being insufferable, elitist, and under the persistent delusion that they're being persecuted for liking things), but everything else, yeah. They're doing more harm than good as their brigade of the Problematic Police at this point.

Final thoughts on the Cavs video:

- It was clearly a Dirty Dancing parody; if you didn't get that you need to be more aware of the culture around you.

- It was more a fireman's carry or a bodyslam than a suplex.

- I don't think the Cavs went out to make light of domestic violence. But someone within the organization should have exercised some judgment after the iMovie encode was done.

- Deadspin doesn't actually like anything, right? With the exception of calling everything in international soccer beautiful, world-class and golazo, they don't actually much like anything that happens on a field. Angry tweets, strip club stories and dick pics though -- they're all over that. Poop too.

To me it wasn't a thing. However, sports franchises esp need to remember always their market is 6yr olds to 106yr olds. That vid played in their arena for all to see... during, like it or not, a family event.

Dirty Dancing btw, was how many years ago now?

We're not talking player vines, we're talking official NBA team promotional video.

If the Ravens did that with a girl in a Steelers uni on their tron, it'd be a bigger deal yes? Why, it's the exact same thing.

cropped-cropped-toronto-skyline21.jpg?w=

@2001mark

You're right, no one is familiar with any movie that came out more than five years ago. What are you thinking?

To me it wasn't a thing.

No!

You're right, no one is familiar with any movie that came out more than five years ago. What are you thinking?

To me it wasn't a thing.

No!

My life became richer as I began to understand Simpsons references. Though it is weird to watch Citizen Kane and think "Simpsons did it!"

I like that a Cavs DV video isn't a thing, but a Steelers DV video would be a thing. There's a lot that happens across that boarder.

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

I'm not sure Dirty Dancing is still part of the culture surrounding us, and I'm old. Jennifer Grey is unrecognizable and Patrick Swayze is, well... he's ghost, he's Swayze. (That's a dated EPMD reference, for the uninitiated.) But is that really a movie that has endured through generations?

I didn't hear anyone reference Dirty Dancing until today.

But I came here to celebrate that Rose bank shot FTW. I finally stopped watching the various awesome replay angles after 2 hours.

Big win for the Bulls.

Oh, good lord. I'm not a huge Dirty Dancing fan, but "no one puts baby in a corner" and "I've had the time of my life" are as much a part of American film culture as "Rosebud," "Say hello to my little friend," "I coulda been a contender," and "Luke, I'm your father." It's not like they were digging deep in the archives for that one.

I'm having a difficult time adjusting to a world where the Clippers are legitimate NBA title contenders.

Seeing the Rockets get their butts kicked like this by the Spurs would have been par for the course.

Seeing the Rockets get their butts kicked like this by the Clippers and AUSTIN RIVERS feels quite shockingly different.

I'm not sure Dirty Dancing is still part of the culture surrounding us, and I'm old. Jennifer Grey is unrecognizable and Patrick Swayze is, well... he's ghost, he's Swayze. (That's a dated EPMD reference, for the uninitiated.) But is that really a movie that has endured through generations?

Big win for the Bulls.

Total chaos -- no mass confusion

Rhymes so hypnotizin known to cause an illusion

Like a magician.. who pulls a rabbit out a hat, son

I pull them all like a .44 Magnum

Of course! Dirty Dancing and The Breakfast Club were the always-on-TBS-every-weekend movies. They have plenty of life.

But hey how about that Rose shot? This is awesome.

Of course! Dirty Dancing and The Breakfast Club were the always-on-TBS-every-weekend movies. They have plenty of life.

But hey how about that Rose shot? This is awesome.

It was a good shot, but he's no Austin "Magic Stockton-Kidd" Rivers. B)

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

So, apparently now in Cleveland, we have to start adding numbers to differentiate our sports bad luck moments: The Shot #2.

I don't think you can put what Rose did last night in the same category as The Shot since last night's game wasn't an elimination game.

2nn48xofg0hms8k326cqdmuis.gifUnited States (2016 - Pres)7204.gif144.gif

Archived