Could Austin, TX support an NHL team?

^ You forgot Pflugerville.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Houston is more realistic

Not really, considering that the guy who owns the Toyota Centre doesn't want anything to do with hockey.

Not true. Les Alexander (Rockets owner) came close to buying & relocating the Oilers. At that time, he didn't have a deal on a new arena in place. By the time he finally landed a deal on Toyota Center's construction, he had already missed the boat on expansion.

http://www.nytimes.com/1998/02/12/sports/a-new-oilers-team-could-hit-houston.html

NYCdog.png

Houston is more realistic

Not really, considering that the guy who owns the Toyota Centre doesn't want anything to do with hockey.

Not true. Les Alexander (Rockets owner) came close to buying & relocating the Oilers. At that time, he didn't have a deal on a new arena in place. By the time he finally landed a deal on Toyota Center's construction, he had already missed the boat on expansion.

http://www.nytimes.com/1998/02/12/sports/a-new-oilers-team-could-hit-houston.html

That 20 years ago. You missed the part where he told the AHL team that played in his arena (and was reasonably well-supported) to GTFO because it was eating up dates that could be used for concerts, etc.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

There's a difference between AHL and NHL hockey though. If the Oilers were coming to town he'd probably expect bigger crowds. I still think it's not as realistic as other cities though. San Antonio could work, but only if they were willing to accept that the Spurs run this town. The only thing that would unseat them is the NFL, and that's not going to happen anytime soon. That being said, Austin just doesn't fit the mold of a professional sports type city. They wouldn't even get behind the Wranglers of the Arena League.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

There's a difference between AHL and NHL hockey though.

Yes, and it's worth noting that Mr. Alexander hasn't pursued the NHL since the Oilers deal fell through. Certainly not since the Toyota Centre opened.

So no interest in the NHL plus kicking out the successful AHL team? Tells me he's not interested in hockey at all. "BUT HE ALMOST BOUGHT THE OILERS" isn't evidence to the contrary. He didn't buy them, and he's shown no interest in the two decades since.

San Antonio could work, but only if they were willing to accept that the Spurs run this town.

So in other words it wouldn't work. Just ask the Winnipeg Jets 2.0 how being the number two tenant in a southern city that prized basketball above hockey worked out for them.

Look, San Antonio has the Spurs. And I'd love to see them land the Raiders. The NHL though? With Glendale still in play and a disaster waiting to happen in Las Vegas? We don't need another failed experiment in the desert. Same reason why Austin should be avoided, when you get right down to it.

There's a difference between AHL and NHL hockey though.

Yes, and it's worth noting that Mr. Alexander hasn't pursued the NHL since the Oilers deal fell through. Certainly not since the Toyota Centre opened.

So no interest in the NHL plus kicking out the successful AHL team? Tells me he's not interested in hockey at all. "BUT HE ALMOST BOUGHT THE OILERS" isn't evidence to the contrary. He didn't buy them, and he's shown no interest in the two decades since.

San Antonio could work, but only if they were willing to accept that the Spurs run this town.

So in other words it wouldn't work. Just ask the Winnipeg Jets 2.0 how being the number two tenant in a southern city that prized basketball above hockey worked out for them.

Look, San Antonio has the Spurs. And I'd love to see them land the Raiders. The NHL though? With Glendale still in play and a disaster waiting to happen in Las Vegas? We don't need another failed experiment in the desert. Same reason why Austin should be avoided, when you get right down to it.

Exactly. I just can't see any city in Texas that would support NHL hockey beyond Dallas or Houston. If ownership changed it could happen in Houston but that's not likely any time soon.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Archived