Oldschoolvikings' USFL update concepts, Pittsburgh Maulers added 5/23/15

oldschoolvikings

I'm expecting this to get some dislikes.

Let me be the first then!

Yeah, I'm loving all the designs so far ... but not this one. Au doesn't work, and neither does the gradient. The original Gold unis are boring, but at least they're not ugly. I'd go with the metallic gold, by the way.

gold_zpsap0e7cgn.png

I'm expecting this to get some dislikes.

Let me be the first then!

Yeah, I'm loving all the designs so far ... but not this one. Au doesn't work, and neither does the gradient. The original Gold unis are boring, but at least they're not ugly. I'd go with the metallic gold, by the way.

I think the au is clever

Yeah, the Au is pushing it, I know, but when it occurred to me I thought it was such a perfect combination of somewhat clever and somewhat stupid that I just couldn't not try it.

As for the rest of the uniform, I purposely threw in a bunch of stuff I pretty much hate... gradients and monochrome are two things that I despise in a uniform. But, here you go... it's why we call them "concepts" I guess... they aren't supposed to really exist.

These teams have such great color schemes,you're doing them justice nice work on the bulls. Have you thought about moving the orange on the striping to the bottom on both home and away? It'd match the logo and keep consistency

You mean so the sleeve stripe is the same for both home and road? That was my original thought but I changed to this for two reasons. This gets gray/silver onto the home jersey, and also matches the stripe on the road pants.

That Oakland uniform looks like almost a Chargers jersey to me..

Yeah, I'm sure it does to a lot of people.

That Oakland USFL franchise was a weird case. At that time, the Raiders had left for L.A. and it's obvious the team chose the name Invaders as an obvious play on Raiders. But then they went with a color scheme very reminiscent of the original Charger scheme, and even added a lightning bolt motif to the logo. I've upped the ante on the Charger comparison by continuing the bolts onto the rest of the uni, but since this will never happen anyway, I just ran with it.

I like it... never liked the white hand and bolt, think by reversing the yellow on the helmet onto the bolt it would have looked better.

The Unis are cool, and the jersey is my favorite part.

Wasn't crazy about the Stars Unis, but I am really enjoying this series. Cant wait to see what you do with the Gamblers!

I like it... never liked the white hand and bolt, think by reversing the yellow on the helmet onto the bolt it would have looked better.

Wasn't crazy about the Stars Unis, but I am really enjoying this series. Cant wait to see what you do with the Gamblers!

I'm not getting much response at all on the Stars uniform. I thought the idea of putting a star field into the numbers and stripes was kind of clever, but maybe it's just too hard to see?

stars_zpsbzfjllv0.png

Or maybe everyone can see it, but they just don't find it nearly as clever as I did.

I'm not getting much response at all on the Stars uniform. I thought the idea of putting a star field into the numbers and stripes was kind of clever, but maybe it's just too hard to see?

stars_zpsbzfjllv0.png

Or maybe everyone can see it, but they just don't find it nearly as clever as I did.

It is hard to see unless you click the picture and have it expand a little bit. I like this idea as it is not over the top (like Nike), but subtle.

Next up, Jacksonville Bulls. Another great color scheme, this is what they looked like then...

57225a_lg.jpeg

For this one, I'm going back to the giant helmet logo my first few had... its kind of my USFL signature, I guess.

bulls_zpsaflxsspw.png

The giant logo works better here instead of the original, which is too small.

spacer.png

stars_zpsbzfjllv0.png

I wondered what the star filed was... that is clever, but its really hard to see. maybe a little bigger.

stars_zpsbzfjllv0.png

I wondered what the star filed was... that is clever, but its really hard to see. maybe a little bigger.

Here's a re-worked Philly Stars, with a larger star field...

stars_zps4nnmeowb.png

I thought I'd give the Pittsburgh Maulers a try next.

90122034-football-pittsburgh-maulers-qb-

6f3d518a016e55232966ad5de0e9a5ed.jpg

I love the colors, but after getting a close look at that logo for the first time, maybe ever...

footerlogo.png

...I gotta say, that's pretty bad, worse than I remembered.

The more I looked at it, the less human it appeared. Almost like a robot. So I thought, what the hell... let's go with a robot. Here is my uniform with the original sketch I used for the logo...

maul_zpsq2b0fq2g.png

I had fun doing it, but the line work is way to thin... pretty much unreadable on the helmet. I might try to rework it, or I might just blow it up and start over.

Thoughts?

Archived